• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Security

HELLIOTT

I just mounted a Street Pilot III on a RAM mount on my CLC. The unit and the mount meet all my expectations, but I'm a little concerned at how it just sits there for everyone to see when I leave the bike. How do other folks with the same set-up handle it? Do you take it in with you whenever you leave the bike for a bathroom break or for lunch?

Hall

ive got a more discreet mount on my r1150r, so it isnt flapping in the breeze for all to see. so in most situations, i leave it on the bike. if im nervous, i do the same as the above poster, i put it in my system case. i have a garmin gps iii which isnt very big, so i can also just stick it into my pocket if i want to.

If I'm in view of the bike, I usually leave the unit there. Sometimes I'll put my helmet over it to keep it out of sight.

If I'm going to be gone for a while I'll pop it and the radar detector off, stick them in my helmet and carry everything inside.

If you're really worried, Touratech makes a locking mount. But at $110 it's kind of pricy. :eek

Michael

One simple rule, if I can see the bike it stays on, if I can't see the bike it comes off.

I guess I was thinking of something like a locking mount, but not at that price. I guess I'll do the same thing I do with other easily pilfered items -- either take it with me or cover it up, depending on the location and time inside.

Thanks, everyone.

I wouldn't leave it unattended all day in a parking lot in any circumstances. But a couple of things come to mind.

First, if nothing else, hang a hat on it. "Out of sight is out of mind," the saying goes. Or, cover it some other way -- for example, with a lightweight motorcycle cover.

In addition to simply protecting the paint and windscreen, one reason a lot of Gold Wingers like the nylon half-covers is to keep curious eyes and prying hands away while they go inside to decimate the all-you-can-eat buffet. As a former Winger myself, don't worry about how I know this, just trust me ...

Next, attach a cable tether using the onboard security screw. On the standard beanbag mount, the security screw has a plastic head. (The Touratech mounts come with a small allen head screw and washer to go in the same place). Using a tether and allen screw, you would complexify the "thief of opportunity" possibility by making it more complicated than just grabbing it and walking away.

Having looked at the RAM mounts, (and how easy it would be to pilfer from one), I agree with the "stick it in a system case" option. It will take an additional moment, and you will have to go through the boot sequence again when you put it back on, but it sure beats having to file the insurance claim on a stolen gadget.

Out of sight, out of mind

I take two approaches to securing the bike; if it's only an hour or less that I will leave the bike, I pop the SP3 off and lock it in my topcase. I commute to work on the bike and there I use my eztouring cover, a nice ripstop type waterproof cover, when I leave the bike for the day. I actually will leave pretty much everything (helmet, jacket, accessories) under the cover irrespective of weather. I find that what people can't see they generally don't mess with. If I leave it out in a strange place overnight, I obviously take everything in, but at work in the parking lot, I just put the touring cover on it and that not only keeps out curious eyes, it keeps bird crap and other sky falling schmegma off the bike.

The SP3 is very easy to unmount if you need to and only uses a small knurled knob to release it from the catch.

The "small knurled knob" on the catch is replaced by a small torx screw when you use the BMW mount. The corresponding small torx bit is supplied in a small metal case so you won't loose it in your pocket. On my LT I just lower the windscreen all the way. When it's down there isn't enough room between the wind screen and the mount to get access to the torx screw so the unit is locked to the bike mount.

1flyer said:
The "small knurled knob" on the catch is replaced by a small torx screw when you use the BMW mount. The corresponding small torx bit is supplied in a small metal case so you won't loose it in your pocket. On my LT I just lower the windscreen all the way. When it's down there isn't enough room between the wind screen and the mount to get access to the torx screw so the unit is locked to the bike mount.
I have the Cycle Gadgets setup and it uses the original quick disconnect mounting setup which I like because it is very easy to pop off when you want to.
Here's some photos of the setup on my RT from another SP3 link discussion here:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2339

Here's a hood from BMR products that screws down. I'm about to use the right arm for a new Valentine. Not too much glare with this bad boy!

Attachments

• shelf_8.jpg
    shelf_8.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 359
I am trying to figure out if that is Tim in the picture or an MIT student.:p

:idea Must be an MIT graduate to be able to wire all that stuff up.

Guess that's why I never made it into MIT.

I thought it was some guy who liked wearing a shirt with his name on it !

DOH!

Back