• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Amber Faceshields?

I have clear shields, but always use tinted shields and don't ride at night. I keep a pair of clear safty glasses on the bike just in case I get stuck riding when dark. I can then remove the tinted shield and still safely see.

I used to use tinted as seen in my Avatar. Until i got caught up and hadda ride at night.
I decided to carry a clear on my helmet and use photosensitive glasses.
Dark at day clear at night. Why pack extra gear when I should be wearing it. :whistle

Amber is for ski slopes to aid in seeing moguls and such.

In low light conditions, how do you figure filtering out some of the available light will increase visibility?

I guess you are not a shooter or hunter. We use orange/yellow/ambar glasses in poor light conditions to increase contrast and enhance resolution.
I use orange shields when racing in the afternoon/dusk as well.
I tried my pinlock orange insert and was able to see with more contrast, very happy with it.

I decided to carry a clear on my helmet and use photosensitive glasses.
Dark at day clear at night. Why pack extra gear when I should be wearing it. :whistle

Photosensitive glasses are useless behind polycarbonate shields that block all UV. :deal My transition photosensitive glasses live in a jacket pocket when I'm on the bike. My sunglasses (with stick-on bifocals to read instruments) have changeable lenses. I usually use the grey-green but sometimes switch to amber.

// marc

Photosensitive glasses are useless behind polycarbonate shields that block all UV. :deal My transition photosensitive glasses live in a jacket pocket when I'm on the bike.

It seems they come rose colored too.

I guess my SHOEI shield(s) don't block UV as mine function perfectly.
Besides, if my glasses block all UV why be redundant?

Amber is for snow and pimps in Hollywood. :whistle

I guess my SHOEI shield(s) don't block UV as mine function perfectly.
Besides, if my glasses block all UV why be redundant?

Don't know about SHOEI, but the shield in my C2 makes the transition lens useless. I've not tried the glasses behind my ARAI.

I prefer a shield that blocks UV as it negates much of the need for sun block which keeps it from stinging my eyes as it mixes with sweat on hot days.

Amber is for snow and pimps in Hollywood. :whistle

I guess you don't ride much in fog. :dunno

// marc

I guess you don't ride much in fog.
Over a 108 mile daily commute in Seattle? HA!
Low light/sight conditions I'd rather BE seen.
I see fine for my conditions at any given time.

Amber does nothing for me except to annoy. :hungover

Action word here is "me".
You ride w/ your choices.

Old School- Serengetis

Sorry to resurrect this thread after it almost expired under its own weight, but I wanted to add...

I wear tinted most of the time, and keep a clear shield in the tank-bag for night riding... BUT... I have an ancient pair of Corning Serengeti drivers in the tankbag at all times.

When light is low, or fog is thick, or it's even snowing, or it's raining like h#ll, they are by far the best things I've ever put between my eyes and what I don't want to run into. You can almost wear them at night.

My favorite pair is a pair of Aviators, circa 1989, my wife calls them the "Blu-blockers". Inside the helmet they are not all that comfy, and outside of the helmet they make me look like Elton John. I have a second pair that I keep in the car on long trips, even though I mostly keep the Ray-Bans on until I need good optics. It's like Judge Smail's Billy Barool putter in Caddyshack, you only bring it out of the bag when Nothing... Else... Will Do.

Serengetis cost a bunch* and I have yet to find a pair that had good coverage and looked cool at the same time... I don't look very good in them, but man, I sure can SEE.

*not half as much as the P.O.S. Oakleys I bought a few years ago that bent as I was taking them out of the original box, and the ^*@$#ing store accused me of sitting on them, OAKLEYS SUCK!

In low light conditions, how do you figure filtering out some of the available light will increase visibility?

I met a rider this spring who claimed that his amber face shield made spotting deer easier in the dark. I don't have an amber shield and really do as little dark riding as possible because of the deer population. I guess that I'll just take his word but for all I know, he may be right.

I really liked my amber shield on my last helmet, but I hated to have to switch shields back and forth. It's much easier to put sunglasses on and off, which can be done at a stop light.

I would not go with anything other than a clear face shield if I were you. Weather changes out on the road - just your luck it will happen when you don't have the right shield. Having sunglasses under the face shield allows you to simply remove them and pop them into your tank bag if it clouds up and starts raining. I rode several hundred miles in heavy rain yesterday across Ohio and West Virginia and it was very useful to be able to change in and out of the sunglasses several times.

I really like the dark shield I have on my Shoei but it was a nuisance having to carry two shields, as well as finding a suitable place to pull over to make the switch. Early in this riding season I switched to a Scorpion Apollo 1000 helmet with a drop down sun visor. It is certainly easier than stopping to switch shields or even change from sunglasses. Overall, there are other qualities that I prefer with this particular helmet over the Shoei.

I use polarized amber clip ons that I buy at the flea market for about $5.00 a pair. I just can't seem to keep a pair long without destroying them somehow. I get the most interesting psychedelic reaction from certain auto finishes and windshields when I wear these behind my clear HJC shield. The amber color seems to give me better contrast than the other colors in most conditions, I never wear them after dark.

The first time I saw a work colleague wearing some of the new style Oakley or whatever specs to the tune of $100.00 or so I was in awe. Just my luck I would buy a pair and then loose or destroy them within the week.

I do however lust for one of those mirrored faceshields, how cool are they. Consider an overweight middle aged guy on a 30 year old bike wearing one of those!

fogging??

How do those of you who wear glasses/sunglasses in your helmet prevent fogging???:scratch I can't seem to find a way to wear my sunglasses without them fogging up. :banghead My daily ride is in cool, wet conditions (especially this "summer"!). Unless it's over 60 degrees or so, I can't wear them. I am even getting fogging with Fog City Proshields(amber in my clear shield) and have to ride with the shield held open with the lock lever on the side of my Shoei RF 1000 helmet... I am even thinking of adifferent helmet. I have tried using a different angle of the windscreen on my 1200 GS.

Any suggestions?

Here's my $.005

Tinted face shields are good. If you know for a fact that you will be back before dark
Or you're carrying your clear face shield.

When I got my latest Shoei I went with the High Def Orange.
It's great for overcast or hazy days

Orange and yellow lens cut out part of the blue light part of the color spectrum
When it's foggy the blue part of the spectrum is increased.

Once you get used to the color they work pretty well.

Some people claim that yellow lens help you to see better at night.
I personally don't think so.

There is some talk that wearing sunglasses inside a helmet during a crash can lead to problems with how the helmet transfers energy during a crash.

Me I wear sunglasses during the day and clear safety glasses at night
I ride often with my face shield up and I need to protect my eyes.

As for sunglasses
Make sure they are impact resistant.
And I would strongly recommend not using polarizing lens
One you will see chromatic aberrations in your face-shield of your helmet and if you have a windscreen you will have the same thing there.
On top of that you will misread reflections of shiny road surfaces
While might possibly lead to you not seeing a patch of oil.

Suomy Iridium

FWIW -

Best bang for the buck, by far, is Suomy's clear faceshield with an Iridium external and anti-fogging internal coating. :hug

As an Infra-Red (IR) blocker, the Iridium coating reduces the greenhouse effect, thus keeping you cooler, when heading into the sun. :dance

Finally, the associated optics are absolutely outstanding with near zero distortion. :thumb

J.K. :wow

For those Shuberth Concept (C1 and C2) owners who want amber.. Derby Cycles still has some of the "brown" sunshields (the internal one) for the C1-C2 helmets. Shuberth doesn't have any - I tried them first. $40 delivered.

I like the improved contrast in hazy conditions. I'm not so crazy about the shading it provides since it doesn't provide much at all. Jury is still out on if it's a good thing or not.

Sunglasses would be great... if I didn't wear prescription glasses. I also have Transition lenses which don't work very well inside the helmet. So, the tinted shield on my Shoei is right for me. My wife also has one on her helmet as it also keeps our faces from sun burning without all the sunscreen mess. I tried the clear shield and it seems hotter in the Summer than the tinted one. JMO. Cheers,

Ronnie

I too wear prescription glasses. When riding I wear prescription sunglasses or my Transition prescription glasses. When I stop and take my helmet off I have to remove my glasses so I put on the transition glasses so I can see in the store I'm going into.

How do those of you who wear glasses/sunglasses in your helmet prevent fogging???:scratch I can't seem to find a way to wear my sunglasses without them fogging up. :banghead My daily ride is in cool, wet conditions (especially this "summer"!). Unless it's over 60 degrees or so, I can't wear them. I am even getting fogging with Fog City Proshields(amber in my clear shield) and have to ride with the shield held open with the lock lever on the side of my Shoei RF 1000 helmet... I am even thinking of adifferent helmet. I have tried using a different angle of the windscreen on my 1200 GS.

Any suggestions?

I have a pinlock shield on my Shoei helmet. It is great at keeping fog off the visor. Keeping fog off the glasses is more difficult. I have found that once I'm underway, with the visor up, the glasses clear and I can lower the visor. They stay clear until I have to stop. There are some anti fog products on the market but I haven't use any of them.

Back