Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amber Faceshields?

RTNewbie

Question Amber Faceshields?

I love amber sunglasses. I need to replace my faceshield. Why not get an amber faceshield.

Anyone have any input?

If you never ride at night it's OK but if you do then you need all the light you can get IMHO.

Mike
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

BETO736
    I just got mine and I will try it tomorrow night. It should increase visibility with poor light conditions, at least that's the idea with an orange/ambar filter.

In low light conditions, how do you figure filtering out some of the available light will increase visibility?
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

You can always keep the original clear one in your tankbag for if/when the light gets too low for the tinted one. Mine is in a protective sleeve (came with my helmet-bag I think) and fits perfectly inside the butt end of my Marsee 15-liter.
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

I really liked my amber shield on my last helmet, but I hated to have to switch shields back and forth. It's much easier to put sunglasses on and off, which can be done at a stop light.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

Exclamation

Many states (i.e. WI) require that 1/2 hour before sunset and not until 1/2 hour after sunrise, may the operator of a motorcycle use anything other than a clear lens of any kind (glasses, shields, windshields, goggles, etc.).

Better check with your state laws before assuming anything.

Ride Safe!

RTNewbie
    Quote Originally Posted by R100RS View Post
    I really liked my amber shield on my last helmet, but I hated to have to switch shields back and forth. It's much easier to put sunglasses on and off, which can be done at a stop light.
    I think the amber sunglasses are the way to go. Simple and flexible.

BobFV1
    I would not go with anything other than a clear face shield if I were you. Weather changes out on the road - just your luck it will happen when you don't have the right shield.

I wear Serengeti "Velocity" sunglasses - they have titanium frames and the lenses are a gradient that less available light to filter in the top half of the lens and more in the bottom half, where you are likely to be looking down and reading your instruments (designed for aviators). For enhanced vision in hazy conditions and filtering out UV haze (which actually does increase your vision in certain types of light conditions often encountered in polluted daylight environments) the Serengeti glasses are superior to regular amber sunglasses.

Having sunglasses under the face shield allows you to simply remove them and pop them into your tank bag if it clouds up and starts raining. I rode several hundred miles in heavy rain yesterday across Ohio and West Virginia and it was very useful to be able to change in and out of the sunglasses several times.

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by BobFV1; 08-28-2008 at 02:25 PM.

I rode w/ sunglasses until two years ago. The tinted shield (whatever color) is a lot more comfortable, I'd never go back.

Though if I were riding into the west and the sun was in my face, I'd not likely swap to clear until AFTER it went down.
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post
    For enhanced vision in hazy conditions and filtering out UV haze (which actually does increase your vision in certain types of light conditions
    What amber lenses do is to improve contrast. For me, that's an improvement in my vision, especially at night.
    Last edited by tommcgee; 08-28-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: speling and grandma
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Theory is - amber lenses filter out blue - which causes scattering of light - which decreases effective contrast. IE - Amber = higher contrast. They were very popular when I was dirty bike riding in the 70's and 80's to help make trees you were about to run into stand out better so you could avoid them. There are some sold under the brand name "BluBlocker" I believe.

This is probably especially useful to those of us with somewhat older eyes, where pre-cataract conditions exist. The pre-cataract causes additional light scattering, and removing the blue components will help with less scattering in the lens of your eye.

http://www.eyecarebiz.com/article.aspx?article=50412

I'm not an eye doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express.. but I've had some interest in lighting, and how lighting/color effects vision.. and I've used amber lenses and liked them.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Another option is a removable, amber inner-shield like the Pinlock. It would provide the amber tint you want while still being removable for night riding and you get the anti-fog properties as a bonus. Assuming it's available for your helmet in the US (or can otherwise get the install kit).

Michael
    Last edited by MCohen; 08-28-2008 at 06:35 PM.

cbarron

Amber faceshields

Went to and anti-fog faceshield on my Shoei after my sunglasses bit the dust in Wall, SD. Put your sunglasses in a safe place when fueling.

HD2BMW

Quote Originally Posted by R100RS View Post
    It's much easier to put sunglasses on and off, which can be done at a stop light.
    I agree.

For me sunglasses are the way to go. Here's a link to what I bought for myself, my wife and daughter.

http://www.galeton.com/item_group.as...&CategoryID=19

These have proven to be darn near perfect. The ear pieces are flat and slip into the helmet easily. They are actually marketed as safety glasses and are impact resistant, and you just can't beat the price.

I bought one pair of grey, amber and clear for each of us.