• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

lights

bmrrdr

Does anyone have any suggestions on mounting lights on a R1150GS. I have an Aeroflow windshield on it so this limits some existing mounting brackets and ideas. thanks in advance

I absolutely love my Moto lights!Motolights Their newest model will attach to the front brake calipers on your GS. Check out their photo gallery showing a GS mounted with them. I got mine primarily to be seen by oncoming left turning vehicles out on country roads during daylight. Besides the added light at night , the mounting position being low adds a bigger profile to the lights facing forward so it is more apt to be seen. Mounting them near the headlight may add light, but the profile is still smaller .
The one really cool thing that I would recommend for the Motolights is an on/off switch that is connected to your turn signal cancel button. The button still cancels the turn signal, however if you hold the button in for a little over two seconds, it will turn the Moto lights on (or off) and there is a green LED that comes with the switch which glows green when the Motolights are on. I believe you can get that switch from CycleGadgets.ComCycleGadgets

I haven't ponied up the cash yet, but when I do I think I'll be getting these:
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/LightKits/detail.asp?bike=R1150GS&kit=TN-R1150GS

The Terra Nova bar does not attach to the oil cooler, like most light bars. If I spill, I don't want my GS disabled because the light bar torked out the oil cooler!

I think the Motolights attach to the engine crash guards, which is great for some, but I like to put my feet up on then when riding. Don't they get in the way? Otherwise, I've heard good things about these lights.

There's always the xenon light available from Touratech.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/B...on=touratech:567C7530B97FF4F7572B6B592CAE9FF9
Anybody using this technology?

I run the Motolights on the forks. They are wonderful additions to day riding and great at night. Especially since I am passed the over 50 group.
I also adore the windscreen coverage (Aeroflow). I've dropped my G/S on a gravel-dirt road due to short leg syndrom on high crest of road. My lights never touched the road thanks to engine guards. One of the screws on upper shield popped and turn signal cracked. My pride was damaged the most. It took a big effort to up right . But why else did I get a G/S?

BMW Fog lights

I haven't seen anyone discuss the BMW fog lights that are available for the GS Adventure (and others). Why is that? Are they just too expensive and the PIAA or Hella are so much better? There must be something I am missing here as it isn't clear why the BMW would not be worth considering.

Motolights vs. PIAA

The Motolights look like they are well made, attractive and would work just great, but I haven't seen pictures of how well they illuminate. I am looking for lights to end the problem of the sharp cut off of the low beam that makes the road disappear at night.

Would the motolights do this or would I be better off with some PIAA fog lights or BMW fog lights?

Re: Motolights vs. PIAA

rosencrantz said:
The Motolights look like they are well made, attractive and would work just great, but I haven't seen pictures of how well they illuminate. I am looking for lights to end the problem of the sharp cut off of the low beam that makes the road disappear at night.

Would the motolights do this or would I be better off with some PIAA fog lights or BMW fog lights?

The Motolights are great. Mine stay on all the time and really give me a wide area of well lighted road and shoulder. They are mounted on the fork. The people at Motolight are super nice and make you feel like an important part of the family.They will give you support and fast service . By the way,warrenty is for ever.

One more thumbs-up for the Motolights. I have the caliper mount version in black & they look like they are stock. People ask me about them all the time. I put 75w wide lamps in mine. Last month I was on a very dark (no moon) road in central California & I was able to count 11 deer on the sides of the road. I donÔÇÖt want to think about what may have happened without these lights.

My Motolights are wired into the turn signal cancel switch, this is a very slick set-up indeed

Also, the lower mounting makes the lights less offensive to other motorists. I am considering adding the BMW fog laps to my GS Adventure as an "always on" addition to the Motolights.

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSE. Im thinking about getting some Moto lights. How well do the caliper mounts work compared to the fork slider mount? Do they light up the night well mounted that low?

bmrrdr said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on mounting lights on a R1150GS. I have an Aeroflow windshield on it so this limits some existing mounting brackets and ideas. thanks in advance

I have an Aeroflow and have a set of PIAA 910's mounted to it. I did not want to cut the screen to mount the lights. Light bars don't work with the screen. I ended up going to Home Depot and got some electrical mounting brackets (basically 3mm steel plates about 4" long with two holes in them. I Mounted two of these to the light mounting points on the Aeroflow brackets pointing forward and mounted the lights on them. It places the driving lights under the beak.

Attachments

• aeromount2.jpg
    aeromount2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 408
Back