Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Securing gear over the rear RT seat.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    My goal is to make a plate the will hold a upack, and work with one of the makers of same. I want it to be wide enough to hold tent and chairs, then wrap around over the side cases, and secure with a bungee buddy and a 'biner along with a strap. It will be very secure, not shift at all, and hold a lot of stuff.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Lightbulb

Boy oh Boy! Some great ideas and great support from fellow BMW riders ! Thanks!!

Well here's what I ended up doing at least so far: I made the plunge yesterday and went with Bungee Buddies drilled into the tops of the side cases . I hated the idea of drilling into the cases and thought about the possibility of them pulling loose under stress or letting water in, however the hardware is pretty substantial with a large diameter washer on the inside, plus I have four points to tie down from. The bags I'm using won't protrude out to the sides very far so I don't think the wind will be much pressure on the bags even at speed. Now it's down to one more bag and the straps, but at least I'll have a place to tie down stuff. I had never heard of ROK Straps and they look pretty cool as well as the Aerostitch products. It can't hurt to have some extra strapes, so I can at least make it to the rallies and possibly switch out to some others at the rally that will suit me better.

Here's the cool thing I found yesterday from a rider at the local dealer which might have changed my mind had I seen this web site. These are products specifically designed for the RT and LT and the owners of the company own those bikes. They have a shelf made to go over the rear seat of the RT using the existing bolts on the bike so there's no need for drilling plus it removes easily. (Pricey but very well done.) The line is called BMR Products and I ended up buying their dash board shelf to replace my perfectly good RCU shelf. Their dash board shelf will hold a Valentine radar on the right, a GPS in the center and an XM satellite radio on the left. All with special hoods designed for each item. How cool is that! BMR Products

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

And recalling the obvious ...

Be sure and lock the lower catch on system cases so they are secured to the frames. The fact is, Brad does have a point, as a bag could shake loose.

Several years back, one of the Mississippi club officers lost a case off his K bike -- and the particular case just happened to be the one with all the club pins, rosters, and such in it.

Because it was a winter time meeting, he got in after dark and did not realize it was gone until hom in the carport. He and the others with him recalled him putting it on the bike, but in the ribbing and banter going he, he forgot to lock it. So he lost the club stuff, and his bag in the process.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Be sure and lock the lower catch on system cases so they are secured to the frames. The fact is, Brad does have a point, as a bag could shake loose.

Of course this doesn't apply to the newer R bikes. They lock only with the handle.

Jim

Of course this doesn't apply to the newer R bikes. They lock only with the handle.
    The bags on the RT are pretty amazing in that they won't fit or lock down and you can't get the key out unless they are mounted properly. Pretty hard to ride home without the key

Well! Excuuuuse me!

As a K rider, I've never closely examined the bags on the new R bikes.

However, in principle it still applies -- but with a caveat:

1. Pack the cases before loading the other stuff.

2. Lock the cases before lashing down.

3. Stand at arms length to unlock.

Hey! If you're lucky, when you get to the rally, you can simply unlock the cases and then watch while the stuff unloads itself!

Last edited by basketcase; 06-13-2004 at 09:08 PM.

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Originally posted by RickM
    Well! Excuuuuse me!

As a K rider, I've never closely examined the bags on the new R bikes.

However, in principle it still applies -- but with a caveat:

1. Pack the cases before loading the other stuff.

2. Lock the cases before lashing down.

3. Stand at arms length to unlock.

Hey! If you're lucky, when you get to the rally, you can simply unlock the cases and then watch while the stuff unloads itself!

No need to be defensive. The way the R cases are designed you can't really get them open after you load and strap stuff on top of them. They do, however, tend to "unloadthemselves" when you open them after a tight packing.

Having owned both K bikes and an R bike. I like the R bike bags better. They are larger and slightly more water tight.

BTW the K12 bikes use the same style bags as the R bikes.

Jim

Ain't defensive ...

It's just hard to communicate "tongue in cheek" in this medium, you know?

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Hence the wink or the comment

Don't worry I got the humour.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Randy...the solution is simple. Pop your seats off and notice the two rather useless helmet locks on both sides - the small wire loops open on one end. Remove the bolt securing each lock and turn the wire so it's perpendicular to the frame rail, ahead of the bolts, then secure them again with the same bolts. All you're doing is turning the helmet locks 90?? - the left side lock 90?? to the right, and the right side lock 90?? to the left. Now you have the perfect points to attach a set of Helen Two Wheels or Roks straps to hold that duffle bag on the pillion portion of your seat. Fasten the other end of either strap system to the forward edge of your luggage rack.
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    2009 KTM 300XC-W

Jim Miller,

DOH !! You're a day late and and a dollar short since I already drilled the bungee buddies into the hard side cases, however I like the idea of turning the helmet locks. That's a first and a good solution for sure. It took me awhile to figure out, but i actually use those locks for securing my Shoei when parking the bike in public. As it stands now, once I have everything lashed down over the rear seat, I won't be able to use those locks anyway. There isn't a lot of tolerance for that seat to click into place so I'm supprised you can run straps under the seat and still have it lock into position.

Of course when you don't have them stuffed, you helmet will fit in your side bag, so the locks aren't very usefull anyhow. Besides, you wont risk a watersoaked helmet that way.

Jim

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    My XL Shoei will not fit in my side cases, and I have the RS/RT cases. I am disappointed that they are not nearly as functional as the Givi bags I used to have.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Originally posted by lorazepam
    My XL Shoei will not fit in my side cases, and I have the RS/RT cases. I am disappointed that they are not nearly as functional as the Givi bags I used to have.
    Gale,

Try again. I have several friends that didn't think they would fit. I got a XXL Shoei and an XL Arai to fit on both my RS and their RT bags.

The secret is to put the helmet in upright facing the front. They just clear the top, and have a tight fit on the sides, but will fit without damage to the helmet. My Nolan N100E fits even.

Jim

The saddle bags stay at home unless I'm spending the night somewhere so if they're on the bike,they have stuff in them. Hard to believe you can fit a large helmet in there unless you're one of those people who can go under water wearing chains and a straight jacket and come up two minutes later untied.