• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Securing gear over the rear RT seat.

Well! Excuuuuse me! :jester

As a K rider, I've never closely examined the bags on the new R bikes.

However, in principle it still applies -- but with a caveat:

1. Pack the cases before loading the other stuff.

2. Lock the cases before lashing down.

3. Stand at arms length to unlock.

Hey! If you're lucky, when you get to the rally, you can simply unlock the cases and then watch while the stuff unloads itself!

:1drink

Last edited:
RickM said:
Well! Excuuuuse me!

As a K rider, I've never closely examined the bags on the new R bikes.

However, in principle it still applies -- but with a caveat:

1. Pack the cases before loading the other stuff.

2. Lock the cases before lashing down.

3. Stand at arms length to unlock.

Hey! If you're lucky, when you get to the rally, you can simply unlock the cases and then watch while the stuff unloads itself!

:1drink

No need to be defensive. The way the R cases are designed you can't really get them open after you load and strap stuff on top of them. They do, however, tend to "unloadthemselves" when you open them after a tight packing.

Having owned both K bikes and an R bike. I like the R bike bags better. They are larger and slightly more water tight.

BTW the K12 bikes use the same style bags as the R bikes.

Jim:brow

Randy...the solution is simple. Pop your seats off and notice the two rather useless helmet locks on both sides - the small wire loops open on one end. Remove the bolt securing each lock and turn the wire so it's perpendicular to the frame rail, ahead of the bolts, then secure them again with the same bolts. All you're doing is turning the helmet locks 90?? - the left side lock 90?? to the right, and the right side lock 90?? to the left. Now you have the perfect points to attach a set of Helen Two Wheels or Roks straps to hold that duffle bag on the pillion portion of your seat. Fasten the other end of either strap system to the forward edge of your luggage rack.

Jim Miller,

DOH !! You're a day late and and a dollar short since I already drilled the bungee buddies into the hard side cases, however I like the idea of turning the helmet locks. That's a first and a good solution for sure. It took me awhile to figure out, but i actually use those locks for securing my Shoei when parking the bike in public. As it stands now, once I have everything lashed down over the rear seat, I won't be able to use those locks anyway. There isn't a lot of tolerance for that seat to click into place so I'm supprised you can run straps under the seat and still have it lock into position.

Of course when you don't have them stuffed, you helmet will fit in your side bag, so the locks aren't very usefull anyhow. Besides, you wont risk a watersoaked helmet that way.

My XL Shoei will not fit in my side cases, and I have the RS/RT cases. I am disappointed that they are not nearly as functional as the Givi bags I used to have.

lorazepam said:
My XL Shoei will not fit in my side cases, and I have the RS/RT cases. I am disappointed that they are not nearly as functional as the Givi bags I used to have.

Gale,

Try again. I have several friends that didn't think they would fit. I got a XXL Shoei and an XL Arai to fit on both my RS and their RT bags.:D

The secret is to put the helmet in upright facing the front. They just clear the top, and have a tight fit on the sides, but will fit without damage to the helmet. My Nolan N100E fits even.

The saddle bags stay at home unless I'm spending the night somewhere so if they're on the bike,they have stuff in them. Hard to believe you can fit a large helmet in there unless you're one of those people who can go under water wearing chains and a straight jacket and come up two minutes later untied. :rolleyes

RT RANDY said:
The saddle bags stay at home unless I'm spending the night somewhere so if they're on the bike,they have stuff in them. Hard to believe you can fit a large helmet in there unless you're one of those people who can go under water wearing chains and a straight jacket and come up two minutes later untied. :rolleyes

They really do fit. And if you saw me, you would know I am not a small person, nor particularly flexible.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so my space is limited. I leave my saddle bags on the bike always, and don't use my tank bag unless I am taking a trip and need the room.

Attaches with a large assortment of straps to fit just about anything.

At the bottom of the page is a link showing some pictures of a Journeybag on a HD.

Back