• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650 Twin Now in US

pglaves

This from BMW - Press Release

BMW's All-New Entry Level Model Makes its Debut with a Twin-Cylinder Engine
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - August 19, 2008... Tame the urban jungle or take the road less traveled! After much anticipation, BMW's sophisticated new addition to its entry level model lineup -- the 2009 BMW F 650 GS -- has arrived at U.S. BMW Motorrad dealers.

With its 71 hp, torquey twin-cylinder engine, the all-new 2009 F 650 GS offers more power and sophistication than its single-cylinder predecessor. Ideal for on- or off-road riding, urban commuting and any rider looking for a fun, efficient and reliable motorcycle, the middleweight twin tackles anything the ambitious motorcyclist could throw at it. Its rigid steel tube trellis frame, double-sided swing arm and chain drive offer reliability. A low seat height and narrow design make navigation through the worst traffic a breeze. Cast aluminum wheels and telescopic forks keep the ride smooth and precise at all times.

The 2009 F 650 GS has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $8,255 (excluding freight). The Standard Package, offered at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $9,760, (excluding freight) includes heated hand grips, Anti-Lock Brakes, an on-board computer, and white turn signals. The 2009 F 650 GS is available in three colors -- Flame Red, Iceberg Silver Metallic, and Azur Blue Metallic.

The F 650 GS is the newest addition to BMW's dual-sport line up. It follows in the footsteps of the highly acclaimed R 1200 GS - which traces its roots back to the early 1980s when BMW won the grueling Paris-Dakar rally four times with its trailblazing dual-purpose R 80 GS. Since their debut in 2004, the versatile R 1200 GS and its rugged companion, the R 1200 GS Adventure, have earned praise from motorcycle enthusiasts and the press for their exceptional performance both on and off the road.

The R 1200 GS has earned award after award, including Cycle World's Best Open Class Street Bike and the International Journalist's Panel "Best Bike in the World." The R 1200 GS Adventure was named "Best Adventure Bike" three years in a row by editors of Motorcyclist Magazine.

BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models, X5 Sports Activity Vehicles and X6 Sport Activity Coupes. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 82 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Information about BMW Group products is available to consumers via the Internet at:

www.bmwgroupna.com
www.bmwusa.com
www.bmwmotorcycles.com
www.miniusa.com
www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com

Humm, interesting

quote: "Cast aluminum wheels and telescopic forks keep the ride smooth and precise at all times." quote

I imagine that they run "tubeless" tires on the cast aluminum wheels, but why not wire wheels that are tubeless? Wire wheels look so much better. Any idea?

Does anybody know how the insurance and property taxes are affected, as it has 800cc and not 650cc.

Are any still available or all they all sold out already? :D

F650 twin

I just bought a F650 twin for my wife and had to ride it for her from Denver to Cheyenne because she was a little intimidated. The bike was far more fun to ride than my R1200RT -- plenty of power and a much smoother shifting machine, not to mention the light weight. I enjoyed it so much I am thinking of buying one for myself when ever another becomes available. They're selling out well before they are being built! My only concern is my Rt has an alternator with a 700+ watt charging capacity, but the F650 only has a 400 watt alternator. I don't know if that would be enough to run a GPS, autocom and FRS radio, in addition to heated clothing in the winter, although I could forgo the GPS and autocom in winter as my main use would be commuting to work. Still I don't see much room to install an auxiliary fuse box like a centech and the autocom system. Paul, I read your article about the wiring issues you had going to Alaska after Gillette. Do you foresee a problem with frying the battery if too many accessories (as I'm proposing)are operating simultaneously?

Thanks

p.s. My wife rode the bike this weekend and loves it!

Last edited:
quote: "Cast aluminum wheels and telescopic forks keep the ride smooth and precise at all times." quote

I imagine that they run "tubeless" tires on the cast aluminum wheels, but why not wire wheels that are tubeless? Wire wheels look so much better. Any idea?

Does anybody know how the insurance and property taxes are affected, as it has 800cc and not 650cc.

Are any still available or all they all sold out already? :D

Spoked rims are more expensive. Tubeless spoked rims are especially expensive - and heavy.

why not wait for the 800?

If I were considering the 650 (really a "detuned" 800) I am not sure that I wouldn't be patient and wait for the F800GS. I would imagine that the overall specs (weight, suspension, transmission, etc) are the same between the two bikes. Why not get the extra performance of the full on 800 engine? What is the advantage of getting the "detuned version? I think I'll wait until the 800 is available.

Theo Marks
'74 R75/6
'01 1150GS

If I were considering the 650 (really a "detuned" 800) I am not sure that I wouldn't be patient and wait for the F800GS. I would imagine that the overall specs (weight, suspension, transmission, etc) are the same between the two bikes. Why not get the extra performance of the full on 800 engine? What is the advantage of getting the "detuned version? I think I'll wait until the 800 is available.

Theo Marks
'74 R75/6
'01 1150GS

The 650 weight about 430 lbs - wet lighter than the F800
The 650 has tubeless tires while 800 has tubes.
The 650 is easier on the pocketbook.

The 650 is a rocket - only problem so far is the seat is a butt buster.

Theo Marks
'74 R75/6
'01 1150GS

The 800 is significantly taller, more expensive, not quite as shard on the street (that 21" front), and that extra performance is at relative high RPMs.

But, yeah, I want an 800. :D

but the F650 only has a 400 watt alternator. I don't know if that would be enough to run a GPS, autocom and FRS radio, in addition to heated clothing in the winter

The amount of current draw by the GPS, Autocom, and FRS radio is negligible and easily handled by the 400 watt alternator. Even adding the heated clothing won't be a problem as long as you're moving with the RPM's high enough to put out maximum current. However, it might be a stretch to run 2 X 55 watt accessory lights and heated clothing at the same time.

The 650 weight about 430 lbs - wet lighter than the F800
The 650 has tubeless tires while 800 has tubes.
The 650 is easier on the pocketbook.

The 650 is a rocket - only problem so far is the seat is a butt buster.

Rumors are swirling that the 650 can be remapped to a F800GS hp bike.

That would be the greatest motorcycle software hack ever, if true...

Rumors are swirling that the 650 can be remapped to a F800GS hp bike.

That would be the greatest motorcycle software hack ever, if true...

I read in a couple of places that it has different, softer cams than the F800, in addition to software changes.

One of my riding buddies picked up his GS (F650 twin) a few weeks ago. I only took the opportunity to ride it for a few miles when we visited the dealer. Nice machine. I may get some saddle time on it today, with the new TouraTech saddle. It's taller and certainly firmer than the stocker, and the owner claims it is now an all day ride for him, riding the secondary and county roads in Eastern Ohio.

Bob

Ride Report - (not!) We had gotten about 80 miles south of our starting point when we pulled into MacDonalds, and Roger, on the F650GS, said, "I've got a flat". I asked if it was rear or front (it was rear), and it didn't look flat. But, guess what? The tire pressure indicator on the dash said rear tire pressure was now 29psi, instead of the 37psi at the start. I was praying for a software glitch, but after putting the bike on the center stand and looking carefully, our other rider spotted the small nail or staple. We carefully rode to the BMW dealer where the tire will be replaced.

Last edited:
There have been posts detailing the differences on a couple of bulletin boards. The cams are different among other things.

There have been posts detailing the differences on a couple of bulletin boards. The cams are different among other things.

cams, throttle boddies, intake tubes, air box, injectors, exhaust.....etc....if you want the 800, get the 800, but technically...you DO have an 800. just have to spend more than the price difference to get it to have the HP of the real 800.

Got links?

I'll be rattling around southeastern UT for a week next summer on a rented bike, and as it turns out, I have been given the option of either F650GS and F800GS. I'm a bit surprised that I can't find a concise and comprehensive source that details the specific differences.

Thanks, Fred and JR. But I've gotta say, my actual question was directed to 32232's comment, about the differences being discussed on a couple different BB's. I asked if he, or anyone else for that matter, had links to those discussions.

Sure, I can compare specifications, but the raw numbers will do little to illuminate what those differences mean on the road.

I guess I am more than a bit surprised that one of those discussions hasn't taken place right here.

Thanks, Fred and JR. But I've gotta say, my actual question was directed to 32232's comment, about the differences being discussed on a couple different BB's. I asked if he, or anyone else for that matter, had links to those discussions.

Sure, I can compare specifications, but the raw numbers will do little to illuminate what those differences mean on the road.

I guess I am more than a bit surprised that one of those discussions hasn't taken place right here.

I don't know anybody who has one of each and ridden them enough to provide any meaningful knowledge. I have ridden them both - in traffic and on the freeway - maybe 50 miles each. The only public observation I can make with certainty is that the 800 is taller.

Back