• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Givi Top Case Question

leadfoot

Although I would like to get a BMW case for my RT, price is becoming an issue, and I am considering a Givi top case. I would typically only use it for trips. I have looked at several for sale on Ebay, and other places, and see that they can be used with a Q-D assembly. My question is, how well does this setup work, and when removed will I have an adapter bolted to the top of my rear rack? A pic of an installed unit would be great. Also.......Pros / Cons? I am kind of interested if the concensus is that it would be better to just pony up for the BMW case.

Thanks in advance.

I had one on my 1200GS. It was excellent and I will get another. The base plate is a rack which is permanent. The top box clips to it.

I have a Givi V46 which I recently mounted to my RT. It is an excellent product and this is the fourth bike I have had it on. My wife likes me to use the Givi top box so she can ride along from time to time. It has the back pad installed and it makes her feel secure having something behind her back. With the Monokey system, it literally installs/uninstalls from the mounting plate in a matter of seconds.

I bought the Givi V46 top box for my old 1150R, but never mounted it. I did mount it on my 1150RT and moved it to my GS - now it is mounted on my new RT. It's a great looking and functional box, but I generally don't like top boxes so I only use it when my wife is aboard.

Also another note - the V46 is MUCH TOO SMALL for fully loaded 2up touring - the couple of times my wife and I have taken multi-day trips together we seriously could have used the added capacity of a 52 liter box with a top rack.

So, Here is the Givi mounting kit for the R12RT - about 80 bucks from Twisted Throttle:

329911610_Y2LVN-L.jpg

The instructions are in English, but the thinking behind them is not compatible with my brain - kind of hard to follow. Anyway, it is basically just bolting the thing to the factory rack, but there are some spacers that need to be lined up which are pretty tricky.

Here is the factory rack before:

329911675_jK8d2-L.jpg

329911723_p5Xn9-L.jpg

Here is is bolted in with the spacers, bottom plates, and rubber pad all in place:

329911956_ykwZr-L.jpg

And the final step is to screw on the top cover:

329912182_zdC5z-L.jpg

Mounted:

329912664_bDCXC-L.jpg

329912524_sbgjM-L.jpg

Here's a comfy backrest for my wife:

329912809_XUgyD-L.jpg

Oh yes - and an alternative use for my new farkle!

329912914_jvoBF-L.jpg

Black Wheels!?

Thanks for the pictures of the install. I have a V46 on the way and your post will be helpful.

Black wheels?? Is that an option I missed or are you just very poor at keeping your bike clean? :nyah But really, how/what/where the black wheels?

Thanks for the pictures of the install. I have a V46 on the way and your post will be helpful.

Black wheels?? Is that an option I missed or are you just very poor at keeping your bike clean? :nyah But really, how/what/where the black wheels?

I had the wheels and the head covers powder-coated black. This winter I am going to do some custom paint on the plastic. Looks slick, eh?

WOW.......Bob, that was exactly the info I was looking for! I think the 45 case will work for me, wifey does not ride. I was mostly curious how the platform looked with the trunk removed, and I can definitely live with that! I have found the Plain Jane box on EBAY, but might just go ahead & get the next one up.

Wine shot was cool!:buds

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics, they answered all my questions!!:D

Anyone know who gives the best deal on these, with good shipping? I leave on a 9-day run in 11 days.

Thanks again, Jim

WOW.......Bob, that was exactly the info I was looking for! I think the 45 case will work for me, wifey does not ride. I was mostly curious how the platform looked with the trunk removed, and I can definitely live with that! I have found the Plain Jane box on EBAY, but might just go ahead & get the next one up.

Wine shot was cool!:buds

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics, they answered all my questions!!:D

Anyone know who gives the best deal on these, with good shipping? I leave on a 9-day run in 11 days.

Thanks again, Jim

I just ordered one from Happy Trails. They have good prices on the top box and mount and very good shipping charges ($36). The best prices I found on Givi gear are at Twisted Throttle, but they wanted 3 times as much for shipping ($110) as Happy Trails. I live in Alaska so you may find a different story on the shipping. With the time line you have you'll need to shop around for a dealer that has what you want in stock and then pay a premium for quick shipping.

Glad I could help - I actually did those pics a few weeks back as part of a general RT farkelization thread here:

LINK Bob's RT thread

Well Bob, your information most certainly helped me out. I appreciate all the input from others also. I just ordered an E-460 Top Case, and the installation kit from helmethead.com out of Georgia. VERY NICE FOLKS, and shipping is free. :clap I called them just to ask some questions, and they were more than helpful. Since they drop-ship, they suggested I call Givi and see if the one I wanted was in stock (and it was not, 2 week wait), so I opted for the painted top (I paint anyway), so it will match the silver on the bike. Their prices are very comparable to anyone I have checked, and the free shipping is a bonus! Looks like I will have planty of storage room for my upcoming 9 days of wandering around the Rockies. Wooohooo!:clap

Bob, I would like to see some pics of your paint job when completed, I am thinking of painting mine one weekend, just gotta get that first scratch so I will be more motivated to shoot it. Mine is gonna be white or something brite.

Bob, I would like to see some pics of your paint job when completed, I am thinking of painting mine one weekend, just gotta get that first scratch so I will be more motivated to shoot it. Mine is gonna be white or something brite.

Oh cool! I love white, my BMW four-wheeler is Alpine White and I met a custom painter on Saturday about doing the RT in Alpine White, which he tells me is just regular white with two drops of yellow and two drops of black. I just have to figure out the powder coating for the exposed metal - will probably do that in black, but I don't want it to look too much like a cop bike, just a "clean" white bike.

We shall see - will keep you posted. Going on a long ride next week so this paint project will wait until the dead of winter.

Been using a large GIVI, think it's E52, for 4 years. It's held up well, mounts intact.

3 'problems'. BIG RED key handle broke, not up to the fairly large twisting force needed to pop the handle. Retainer mechanism leaves 3 scratch marks in the paint right above it eventually.
GIVI optional stop lights look nice, but they and the contact piece are JUNK and soon stop working, or are very intermittent, not worth the money IMHO....

I like the bigger capacity, and on a '04 RT, is vast compared to the stock Topcase, which looks a lot larger than it is. The GIVI does sit much higher, as it doesn't fold over the luggage rack.

would be nice if the lid had retainer straps.

I do have the top rack and it is ok, the pad is ... a pad, no complaint from the Sigy-OH.

BIG RED key handle broke, not up to the fairly large twisting force needed to pop the handle.

The big red plastic tab on my key broke as well. Considering the slight force applied to it to "pop" the handle...:scratch :dunno

You'd think the whole key would be within that plastic tab...it isn't!

I'll order a few blanks.

Back