• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need new tires!

Becky973

Right now I have Metzeler Roadtec Z-6 on my K12RS. They have started cupping on both the rear and front. My husband had a set on his R1200RT and they did the same thing. By the way we live in Illinois but we do a lot of riding on curvy road in other states. We trailer the bikes. I have a lot wear left on the tire but when you go into a curve it feels like you have a tar snake with you until you get over on the side of the tire.
Anyone have any suggestion on what type of tire to try next? I use all the tire when I ride on curvy roads. The little elephants have short trunks now.

Becky

Becky, I've tried the following brands on my '02 K12RS with 110K+ miles. Mich Pilot Roads, Metz Z-4 and Z-6, Bridgestone 020s and 021s, Dunlop Road Smart, and Perelli Diablo Strada. They all cup in the front and flatten in the center by about 4000 miles of IL roads. Generally get 7000-7500 miles per set before replacing. Tire pressures 38 ft and 42 rear, generally 2-up and loaded.

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN

On my 05 rt the Z6's started to cup in 1700 mi. Never again. Avon Azaro's 40lbs in front and 42 rear. Last 6 to 7 thousand.

Right now I have Metzeler Roadtec Z-6 on my K12RS. They have started cupping on both the rear and front. My husband had a set on his R1200RT and they did the same thing. By the way we live in Illinois but we do a lot of riding on curvy road in other states. We trailer the bikes. I have a lot wear left on the tire but when you go into a curve it feels like you have a tar snake with you until you get over on the side of the tire.
Anyone have any suggestion on what type of tire to try next? I use all the tire when I ride on curvy roads. The little elephants have short trunks now.

Becky

I've got Avon Storm ST's on my r1150r and after 8500km they still have plenty of life left with no signs of cupping.

Sam

tires for k12rs

Becky,
I also have a K1200RS and was experiencing the same cupping on my Pilot Roads. I like the tires but they would always cup. I have had Metzlers before but still perfer the Pilot Roads. I needed new tires for the Wyoming Rally. My dealer could not get the Pilot Roads any longer but got me a set of Pilot Road II's. He put them on and I was off to Wyoming. Wha La - no more cupping and the tires are fantastic in rain. I love them and no more whine either. The new Pilot Road II's are a dual compound, the middle being a little harder than the sides. The bike is like a different bike. If you try them, you will definitely see and feel the difference. I will now stay with the II's. Hope this helps.

I just put the newly released Dunlop Road Smarts on my R1100RSL, and so far I'm really pleased with them. I even had an opportunity to experience the joys of riding in the rain before the tires were completely scrubbed in--they did great. Now that I've logged a few more miles, I'm finding that the Road Smarts make my RSL seem 75-100 lbs lighter; they respond much quicker than my old Metzelers did; they make slow speed maneuvering much easier than the Metzelers; and they stay planted in the corners as well as on the superslab (they don't move unless you want them to).

I should add that like the Pilot Road IIs, the Road Smarts are dual compound tires; however, the Dunlops cost a few dollars less. I only hope they don't have the cupping issues that are so common with many other brands; time will tell.

Good Luck,
Robert

7.7k on Z-6's and the front is still very nice and the rear is flat/center but several k's wear left in the tire , with more left in the front.Mostly Mexico and eastern KY-do roads get any worse for wear factor or lots of curves?

Back