• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K1200GT gen 2 service cost?

wmubrown

Chairman of the hoard
A non-forum using buddy of mine with a gen 2 K1200GT just had his 18K service interval done and was rather shocked to receive a $727.41 bill. Broken down, that is $585 labor (billed for 7.8 hours @ $75/hr), the rest being tax and parts. Is this fairly normal? Sounds a bit excessive... No breakdown on parts or what was done was given to him so I can't provide more information. I told him the first step was to go back and get a summary of what they did... which, if nothing else, would be good reference down the line. Just seeking information... I don't want to go into which dealer and such unless there seems to be a reason to throw up a warning flag.

A non-forum using buddy of mine with a gen 2 K1200GT just had his 18K service interval done and was rather shocked to receive a $727.41 bill. Broken down, that is $585 labor (billed for 7.8 hours @ $75/hr), the rest being tax and parts. Is this fairly normal? Sounds a bit excessive... No breakdown on parts or what was done was given to him so I can't provide more information. I told him the first step was to go back and get a summary of what they did... which, if nothing else, would be good reference down the line. Just seeking information... I don't want to go into which dealer and such unless there seems to be a reason to throw up a warning flag.

If your buddy lives in 'Zoo near you, then the bike was likely serviced at BMW MC of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have known John Wallace (Service Manager/Part Owner) for a very long time...He is as honest as they come. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to go straight to him for explanations, because he only knows how to give straight answers.

Yes, the service is pricey... So is an auto dealership, in case you haven't had to use one lately. We live in a $$TAXMichiganTAX$$ State. Those costs get passed to the consumer through high taxes on goods AND services. The small businessman catches the fire & grief when it comes to paying the piper for all that wonderful government service we are getting. That is why we in Michigan are dead last of all 50 States in terms of economic growth, and have been for years.

The people of this State must love it, because the same idiots keep getting returned to office. If you have any doubts, just check the current national news regarding the case of corruption and murder swirling around the Mayor of Detroit and the complete inability of a pricipalled response by the Governor. So yes, politics does affect us all far beyond the voting booth right down to a local transaction in getting a motor vehicle repaired.

Find out what work was done. I have always received a bill detailing work performed, and if there are any questions I ask them on the spot. If BMW MC GR did the work, your buddy was treated fairly by the dealership, but not by the State Government.

It is important to understand the difference.

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

If your buddy lives in 'Zoo near you, then the bike was likely serviced at BMW MC of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have known John Wallace (Service Manager/Part Owner) for a very long time...He is as honest as they come. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to go straight to him for explanations, because he only knows how to give straight answers.<snip>
Ride Safely,
BrickRider

No, he's not in Michitaxigan. I know the folks at BMWGR quite well. I phoned to talk to John about this but they are undergoing a BMW audit right now so he won't be sitting for a while ;)

I haven't gotten to the 18K service yet, but isn't that the first major service that includes the first valve adjustment, among others?

The 12K major service takes about 7.5 hours. Example, changing the spark plugs requires removal of the radiator. But hey, it only costs a little more to have the fast bike!

Riding Like the wind (on an old K12RS)...

CHASMAN

For what it's worth...

For what it's worth my 18k service cost $531.59 ( broken down as $450
labor plus $75.90 parts and $5.69 sales tax ); after I dropped the bike
off for service, I received a call asking me if I wanted the valves checked (!).

I could only respond that I thought a valve check was mandatory at 18k,
so ( I have to hope ) one was performed.

Many, many years ago I struggled to persuade my parents that a m'cycle
was a "sensible" purchase ( despite my youth ) because owning and
operating one was so economical. Clearly, that's an argument that no
longer applies, at least insofar as BMW is concerned.

The 12K major service takes about 7.5 hours. Example, changing the spark plugs requires removal of the radiator. But hey, it only costs a little more to have the fast bike!

Riding Like the wind (on an old K12RS)...

CHASMAN

Yeeoowww... well, I can see how that would rack up some time on the lift!

For what it's worth my 18k service cost $531.59 ( broken down as $450
labor plus $75.90 parts and $5.69 sales tax ); after I dropped the bike
off for service, I received a call asking me if I wanted the valves checked (!).

I could only respond that I thought a valve check was mandatory at 18k,
so ( I have to hope ) one was performed.

Many, many years ago I struggled to persuade my parents that a m'cycle
was a "sensible" purchase ( despite my youth ) because owning and
operating one was so economical. Clearly, that's an argument that no
longer applies, at least insofar as BMW is concerned.

That's more the kind of info I think he's looking for. Checking valves would certainly add to labor costs, and if they already have the radiator out as Chasman suggested, they are right there and might as well do the check.

I don't think your parents were thinking about a new bike purchase either ;) My first bike, a 20 year old 1982 Yamaha Virago 750 certainly was a low maintenance bike (once I changed out the gelled brake fluid).

I dug up this thread in a search, I know it's fairly old, but certainly spot on for my questions.

I have to get a service done on my 07 GT. Sticker shock:eek!

$1000 for a 12K service (inspection I guess they call it). IF I wanted to skip the valve adjustment will take it down $300 to $700. I did just read in this thread the radiator comes out to replace plugs, fair enough, it does need a coolant flush, has never been done and bike is now 5 yrs old, so way overdue for that. Brake flush they did do at the same time as the brake pipe recall, I asked them to do a complete flush then (a year ago) and they did that and didn't charge me anything for doing it.

I have heard that the valves very seldom need adjustment, so thinking on saving that $300.

Are these prices WAY out of line or just a tad out of line?

Are these prices WAY out of line or just a tad out of line?

Looking at the original post, I would say the price - $75 per hour - is absolutely not out of line for a shop rate. And based on the other posts it seems the amount of work - 7.8 hours - may be right too.

I can tell you from experience that when everything seems to be in the way of something and there is something in the way of everything, time requirements go up really fast.

I wonder if your friend has after market doo dads on the bike that required additional time to remove and replace?

The original post is from 4 years ago guys, I am just asking because this thread pertains to my wedge GT, fits my bike to a "T", I am asking for this thread to be moved to the wedge forum.
Gilly

Wedge K engines are labor intensive for major services.
We have two,but I do all the work. Each time I do one, I cut the time a lot just because of familiarity.

It could range from 500-$800 easily. Most service cost threads here do have a wide range, depending on location-location-location. Shop rates vary so much depending on overhead...and location it seems.

Yes, to change plugs,do a valve "check" and such requires removing a lot of pieces and at a shop comes to a lot of shop hours.
If the valves to need adjusting (the last three I checked were within limits...one at 36K at first check) that also requires a box of $$shims and more time.

The coolant flush takes a vacuum set up...not hard to do once you have that tool, but it takes some time. I changed hoses on the 36K 2005 model due to age...those cute pre-bent hoses are not cheap either, but peace of mind well worth it.
Some shops figure in the costs of having those tools and bits on hand as part of their rate.

Had a bud trade up to a new model when he got to 36K to avoid the service:dunno

The price of high-tech ... servicing the "wedge".

Armed with the service DVD, I performed the valve check, spark plug and air filter renewal, cooling flush/refill on my '08 K1200GT at a little over 12K miles. I purchased the bike used with 8K miles and was uncertain when/who/how it had been serviced last. Dropped the final drive, changed the gear oil and lubed the pinion splines while she was down. Flushed and refilled the brake and clutch systems also. Bought a vacuum setup to recharge the cooling system, stick coil puller (the GT didn't come with one like my oilhead did) and special spark plug socket so my additional costs were around $150 or so. I've been wrenching on bikes for over 40 years but this was my first time to do the service on the GT and it look most of a three-day weekend. I felt pretty good when the job was over (knowing I saved several hundred $$$) but the experience made me recall that the same service on my '04 RT would have taken around 6 hours and about 3 hours on my '96 Yamaha Royal Star! And changing the engine oil and filter? Don't get me started!

Somewhere on the wall in the BMW engineering department in Munich or Berlin is a sign that says (in correct German, of course) "Design ze motorcycle dat ze owner cannot service!". With the development of the Wedge engine, the Motorrad has come very close to achieving that goal! With that in mind, we should prepare to do the work ourselves or pay our good friends at the dealerships to do it for us.

I have heard that the valves very seldom need adjustment, so thinking on saving that $300.

Are these prices WAY out of line or just a tad out of line?[/QUOTE]

Just checked mine at 28,000 and did not see any issues with clearance. Information from a BMW dealer employee who comes to the Mickey-D coffee morning session states that the K engine very seldom needs adjusting before 48,000 miles and then it's not necessarily a given. So, check your plugs to see the story on how the engine is running. If they don't show any sign of running too lean or hot, I'd save the money and put it into something else important, like heated gear so you can ride all winter.... BTW, I was quoted right at $1000 for the service, which is why I decided to tackle it myself. Cost me right around $400, which included changing out the quick disconnects ($79.00) new K&N air filter, gas filter (hardest part of the process to change, IMHO) new valve cover gasket, Ams Oil and filter, Bosch spark plugs, brake fluid for front, back and clutch, and a vacuum pump for bleeding, plus a bleeder nipple for the clutch line bleed. So, of the $400 and change, a little over a hundred was for tools that can be used to off set the price of the next scheduled maintenance. I should mention that my 2001 is pre servo-brake process, so bleeding is much like my previous jap bike process.
I recommend doing it yourself so you have a better feel for your equipment.....:usa

If yours is a 2001 it is a brick, not a wedge.
"My momma" could replace the plugs on a brick, on a wedge the radiator comes out.

Well I guess they like to quote high so you can feel good when the price ends up lower?
Total was $835 w/valves, coolant flush, brake flush, etc
About $655 for the service, extra $100 for the brake flush, under $20 to fix the recurring brake pad warning light (found wire problem), other $60 for taxes and shop supplies.
Gave it a bath for me too.

Gilly

Gilly, did they say anything about changing out the cam chain or tensioner? Just curious what the latest line of thinking is about this.

Back