• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pilot Roads II - FYI

bandman

I had a set put on my K1200RS before going out to Wyoming from Michigan and I was very much impressed. I have always had Pilot Roads on the K but this is the first time for the II's. My other PR's would cup along the sides of the middle tread after about 3 thousand miles. The II's have not even started to show wear after 3500 miles. This is a dual compound tire. They are great in rain as well as through twisties. It is a great wearing tire and the dual compound seems to have solved the wear problems on the standard Pilot Roads. Good job Michelin.:clap

Thanks for the feedback - I have a pair I am mounting up tomorrow!

Another happy customer

I had a set put on just before the 100,000 mile ride in the Colorado mountains and where immediately impressed with them. They handled as well as any tire I have ever used and certainly better than anything I have used on my 1200RT.

Gpodzo

I had a set put on just before the 100,000 mile ride in the Colorado mountains

You mean the 100,000 "Foot" ride. I was there also and I have been running PR2's on my R12RT. Great tire...I only got a little less than 8,000 miles on my rear tire before I changed for the ride.

OOOOOOps

I got too excited about answering. Yes I mean the 100,000 Foot Ride. And glad to hear you got 8,000 miles out of the rear. That is pretty good, I never got that out of the other tires on my RT.

gpodzo

I'm getting my third rear tire put on now, with 24K on the RT. I'd never had a rear tire make 12K, and now with the PRs, I've had two do it. They're wonderful in the twisties and the wet, too.

I'm getting my third rear tire put on now, with 24K on the RT. I'd never had a rear tire make 12K, and now with the PRs, I've had two do it. They're wonderful in the twisties and the wet, too.

Were you running the Pilot Roads or the Pilot Road II's?

I will need new rubber by next summer. I have run thru two sets of Pilot Roads and got 11,000+ miles per set.

Wondering if I should switch to the II's?

Thanks.

enjoying the discussion as I set about getting new treads. Question though: I am still curious why our rear tire (Lasertec on a K1100LT) managed to obtain just over 11,000 miles on one run with touring gear and riding two up. By all counts we should have been happy to get half that. -Bob

Pilot Road II's

With the better mileage wear, I was running the II's. I think it is a fantastic tire. So far, no more cupping. I switched from the Pilot Roads at the recommendation of my dealer, Nick's BMW of Depere, Wisconsin. He said that it should be a much better tire and that I would most likely like the II's better. He was correct.:p :p :p

I just put a PR2 on the rear, I got 19k out of the PR that just came off the rear. Still have a PR on the front but will go with PR2 when it wears out, got 17k out of the last front PR. The PRs are what came oem on my 06 RT, have never put anything else on. It is my understanding and recent experience that the PRs are no longer available as they run out of stock. I was successful at getting Cycle Gear here in Mesa to match internet pricing of $157.00 for the rear...that's about $32.00 in savings. Anyway, with about 600 miles on the new tire, it seems to handle great and is quiet. In fact, the little knobbies are still visible.

Terry

That's not the best thing!

I just had a PR II installed on the front and, PRESTO........the road whine is there no more. I had lived with that on my RT since the beginning, since I have always used the PRs. But the new II does not whine!!!

Back