• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is the best long distance tire?

what is the best long distance of tires to put on a R1150RT ?

I need to last 13-14000miles!

My first set of Dunlop 205 last rear 13400 miles , Front 16000 miles
Second set of Dunlop 220 rear only 9000miles,front 12000miles

I have at home to sets of new tires;
One is Brigestone BT 010 front and BT 020 rear
and one set of new Metzeler ME 880 front and back.

What are your suggestions ,
which one I sould install on my coming trip for 48 States plus Hyder Ak ?

:idea

Chris, you'll probably get the most mileage by far with the ME880's. If you're heading to Hyder, you might want a GS!

TX GS Rider said:
Chris, you'll probably get the most mileage by far with the ME880's. If you're heading to Hyder, you might want a GS!
I concur that the Metzeler ME880 is the best long-distance tire out there and, I think, a very good tire overall.

Michael and BMWRider,

Thanks for helping me make decision.

I sold my 91PD.

In 2001 Iron Butt Rally two riders on R1100RT made it to Prudhoe Bay, Bob Hall and Eric Jewell.

I am only going to Hyder,is all paved roads.

Maybe some day I will get second bike?:brow

dv2000bike.JPG

June 21.2000 Death Valley:wow

Last edited:
BMWRider said:
I concur that the Metzeler ME880 is the best long-distance tire out there and, I think, a very good tire overall.

Good for distance, but not very good for sport riding.

FWIW I rode the entire 2001 IBR on Metz 880 including a trip to Hyder.

You should be fine with that decision.
:D

Back