• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How about this???

O

olddude73

My son is wanting a magnetic tank bag for his 1200CL, but has read somewhere that the magnets will disrupt the function of his gps, ipod,cell phone etc.,

Personally, I think this is crap, but don't know for sure as I never use any of these items.

Anybody with first hand knowledge??

I have a Marsee magnetic tank bag with 6 rather large base magnets, on my R1200C and have seen no negative effects on my GPS, cell phone, nor any other electronic devices or instruments on my bike.

If the GPS has a magnetic compass in it the magnets will affect that. Bear in mind most don't, they simply display track direction with a compass view. In any case the GPS will still work except for the compass feature.

Perhaps the magnets will increase mileage by magnetizing the fuel. Magnetized fuel disperses much faster as it enters the combustion chamber and does'nt stick to the aluminum piston................. Yeah I think that's crap too!

One last thought. Does the bike have a metal tank?

Mike

Mag bags

Well, magnets will darn sure disrupt the function of a credit card if you get it too close, but magnetic effect drops off exponentially with distance, so you'll have no trouble with GPS, cell phone, etc.

Perhaps the magnets will increase mileage by magnetizing the fuel. Magnetized fuel disperses much faster as it enters the combustion chamber and does'nt stick to the aluminum piston.................

Mike

"Call before midnight tonight!" 1 800 555-5555 ;)

If the iPod is a hard drive type, I would keep it away from the magnets, but just a couple inches should be sufficient.

I, personally, would worry about puting anything with a hard drive in a magnetic tank bag, but that's just me.

Back