• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Saddle Sore Witnesses?

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
As I am planning my route, each day it changes, I remember a while back there was talking about having a witness setup for Saddle Sore witnesses. Is there still a plan for that.

Hopefully my SS1K will take place on June 26, but just in case a backup plan never hurts. Maybe make it a BBGold.

SS1K only requires a start and finish witness. Spouse is fine. My wife signed for me when I did mine last month.. Save those gas receipts, copy your map with all your stops circled.. fill out your log at each stop and you will be fine. Email me off the board if you have any questions that you don't want to bore the masses with.

gambrinus(AT)adelphia.net

RW

What's the prize?

I am also interested in doing the 1K in 24 hours. (Hopefully less!) I hear bits and pieces about it, and am just wondering about a couple of things. Do the gas receipts have to have date and time on them, or any clerk signatures? Sometimes some of those places still fill them out by hand. And is it true your spouse can really be your only witness for start and finish times? That would sure make it easier, as I would like to depart at 3:00 AM and try to get most of it done in daylight. So what do you get for doing this, aside from the satisfaction? I am assuming some sort of patch or decal? Anybody wanna clue the rest of us in, it is definitely something I want to do, at least once. I have great respect for those guys that do the Iron Butt thing, I tip my hat to you folks. I don't think it is something I would want to try. Oh yeah, one more question, do you need some sort of form to fill out, like an application or something? I am sure this has been discussed around this forum somewhere, so sorry if I am asking weetarded questions. Thanks. Rich

gambrinus said:
SS1K only requires a start and finish witness. Spouse is fine. My wife signed for me when I did mine last month..

----snip

I did not notice the spouse was okay until the second reading, thanks for pointing that out.

Now back to planning.

Be careful of who you choose as a signer in that you want to make sure that they are available in the event the IBA contacts them for confirmation of your ride. For example a clerk in a gas station is acceptable by IBA rules, but do you have any insurance they will be there in a couple of weeks to answer to the IBA. A spouse is acceptable per IBA rules. When I did my SS1K and Bun Burner Gold, I had an IBA member sign mine. That way if push came to shove, they would less likely question the objectivity of the person signing.

Greetings,

The rules for a Saddle Sore are not quite as rigid as those for one of the "extreme rides" (Bun Burner Gold, 50cc ect.)

For the SS a spouse if fine.

I also like the early start. What I suggest is you completely prep the bike the night before and then hit the closest ATM for your start receipt. Check it before the ride to make sure it has the necessary information on the receipt. I like to avoid filling up for the first receipt because it just adds more time and futzing around between when you woke up and moving down the road.

For receipts at the corners you do not have to use a gas receipt, you only need a verifiable receipt. It needs to be computer generated an include the establishment name, time, date and city/state. If any one of these items is missing you can have the clerk add the information by hand however you need to get enough information from the clerk that if the IBA needs to audit your ride they can contact the same person who signed the modification to your receipt.

HTH and enjoy the ride.

Best,

Thanks

for the info. I just read through the site you recommended, Brad, and the rules look pretty clear to me. I am anxious to get started, but I need to fit it around my job. I am even considering doing it on the way home from the national. Unless of course I'm like most of the crew and don't get enough sleep!

Hey Gambrinus, your avatar looks just like one of my neighbor kids, no kidding. When my youngest son saw it, he asked if it was Jared. I am going to take his picture one of these days and get it to you, it is uncanny how they look alike! Thanks for the chuckles.

Have a great day, and good luck, Brad. It doesn't appear to be that tough.

Rich

Thanks

I would say you might want to consider doing the SS1K on the way out. Less chance of fatigue on the ride.

Safety first. All the gear all the time.

Re: Thanks

BradfordBenn said:
I would say you might want to consider doing the SS1K on the way out.

I would but I have more time off previous to the rally, so I plan on lolly gagging along, maybe taking in Glacier National Park and riding in the mountains for a few days. Glacier is beautiful, and although I haven't been through any of Idaho, I am sure it has lots of good riding. Especialy when you come from the flatlands of ND.

Ride safe.

I am in the opposite time constraint. Lots of time to get out there. Not a whole lot to get back.

Indiana doesn't have a whole lot more elevation changes than a piece of paper. So I am looking forward to seeing some mountains.

Back