• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ever taken long (1000+ mi) trip on K1200RS?

Has anyone ever taken a trip of that length on a K1200RS (or similiar)?

I'm considering a trip from TX to NJ and would like to get anyone's input on what their experience was like. I've got an 03 and have only generally spent 60 - 90 minutes at any one time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Years ago I took a multi-day trip with a friend who had just bought the newly-released K12RS. He had traded up from a K1100RS and regretted it much of the trip not only because of the dreaded early K12 fan demon but because he found it so uncomfortable. He stuck with it and as accessories have came out that enabled him to customize the bike to his comfort (bar risers, peg lowerers, custom screen, cruise, custom seat, etc.) he has grown to really like the bike.

I think "off the rack" it might not be the most comfortable bike to do a 1000-in-1 but there are now whole catalogs full of various pieces designed to customize it to your comfort level.

My 00 K1200RS has been riden from Mi to and across Newfoundland, gone to Az, riden 12 states around the midwest, and gone to Boston (be careful there).
I organize my ride like a this, I need to stop every so often and the bike needs gas, I want to make this far bt 3:00 and I drive to that spot. I now have a sargent seat, but used a sheepskin before. I have riden in NJ, be careful there also. It seems to me just a simple organization effort. Stop along the way and see the sites

There are plenty of people who take trips that long and longer on their K1200RS. I've travelled all across the US on my K1200RS (and on a K100RS before that). BMWs are designed to tour so the bike shouldn't have any problems. Just be sure you're up-to-date on maintenance and your tires have enough tread and bring along your BMW Owners Anonymous book in case of the unexpected.

You can make the bike more comfortable by adding bar-back and/or a peg lowering kit (as I have done), a taller windscreen (I use the stock low screen which keeps my head in the "clean" air and wind on my chest to help support me) or an aftermarket seat. I've also added electronics to make the trip more fun: music, intercom, GPS, radar detector...

The real question is whether you are ready for a long tour? If you haven't taken a motorcycle more than a hundred miles from home before, you might want to post a general question "What do I need to know for my first long tour." I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful info. I bet someone even has a list ready to go.

Michael

Absolutely and riding two-up over half the time. Our '02 K12RS loves the long trips...Damn Yankees Rally over 2200 round trip, Rocket City Rally over 1400 round trip, Land of Oz Rally over 1000 round trip...multiple 500 mile days on longer trips are common. Typically wife and I leave early in the morning and ride 200 miles or so then have breakfast. We've done many 650 miles plus two-up days. The only option we have is the taller comfort shield that I only use when she's along. Otherwise, it's the short shield for me. We both think the K12RS is a great sport touring machine. And for what it's worth, our last bike was a '95 K1100LT, a great machine, but not as fun as the K12RS.

Riding Like the Wind (on a K12RS)...

Chuck Manley #12106
Director, BMW MOA
Black '02 K12RS

built for it

Thats what the k12 is best at, I've been to Trenton
for the 02 rally and Vegas and nothing eats the miles
like the k12 does.

One thing thats always been a problem
for me is shoulder cramps from not relaxing
enough, and I can also get get hip or knee pain
from sitting too long.

The solution for me was to do shoulder shrugs
and keep a light grip on the bars. Later k12rs
also have gorilla sized throttle return springs
that can be modified for less pull.

For the knees and hips I stand up
on the pegs at least once every half hour
or so and do some calf stretching. I usually stop
once while going through a tank of gas
for stretching and refreshments

HTH!

Eric

Austin

98k12rs
89k10rs

Thanks!

Thanks for all your input everybody. It's greatly appreciated. Definately looking forward to the trip.

Slaptrout

Back