Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Tennessee National Rally

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    I am so psyched to be back there. Some of the finest riding in the country is right nearby.
    among a number of other ride routes i will be providing, i want to whip up two very special ones.... twisties nirvana... paved and dual-sport versions.

i am talking serious stuff, lots of back roads you may have never found. this will be gps only.

a question to those interested in something like this... how long, mile-wise, is too long for a ride like this?

of course, there will be bail-out points....

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

How long is long

I heard about a group the rides there regularily and basically they try to ride 350 miles a day but some days they don't make it. I'd say for this area more like 200-250 is a nice days riding.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    among a number of other ride routes i will be providing, i want to whip up two very special ones.... twisties nirvana... paved and dual-sport versions.

i am talking serious stuff, lots of back roads you may have never found. this will be gps only.

a question to those interested in something like this... how long, mile-wise, is too long for a ride like this?

ian
    Looking forward to it! (at least the paved stuff) I'd agree with the Cap'n, right around 250 miles on pavement is a nice day ride while at the rally.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

I'm staying at the sleep in and suites. A LOT of the rooms are booked already for sure. This one was in the upper $70's plus the 16.5% tax

I hate humidity and after a days riding an air conditioned room rules!
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

rocketman

ian
    Depends on how close together the bars are!

RM

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    I heard about a group the rides there regularily and basically they try to ride 350 miles a day but some days they don't make it. I'd say for this area more like 200-250 is a nice days riding.
    I led a group ride at the Chromehead Rally at Breaks Interstate Park (a couple of hours away) last weekend and we got back from our 225 mile ride dead tired. That is a long ride in the mountains around here.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I led a group ride at the Chromehead Rally at Breaks Interstate Park (a couple of hours away) last weekend and we got back from our 225 mile ride dead tired. That is a long ride in the mountains around here.
    indeed, that's why i am asking. 225 miles of pure twisties will flat wear you out.

ian

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Depends on how close together the bars are!

RM
    hahaha... we're talking ABC stores and hip flasks, actually.

Talking

Just got back from Friendship, IN and was impressed by the great selection of 2 lane roads available in TN, IN, & NC. Friendship is the home of the NMLRA so I used my cage for the trip as I've not figured out a way of transporting rifles and ammo using my bike. I will be retracing my trip in Sept riding my CLC and camping out as I go. The high 50's at night and low 80's during the day is so much better in IN than the 90deg/90% humidity here in N FL that there is no comparison,plus there is great scenery, real hills, and twisting back roads everywhere. The rally next year in TN seems far away now but I'm sure that planning the routes to/from Gray, TN will provide me hours of enjoyment. Hope to meet many of you there. Ride Safe

Bozo

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    I don't like Bozo's and everybody needs to try the Rendezvous dry ribs once then eat their BBQ chicken.
    You don't like Bozo's????? Regardless, it's great BBQ and if you're around Memphis, you should drive to Mason. Bozo's is a landmark and has been featured on the Food Channel and various other TV Food shows.

RKL
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Ian, consider also providing old tech cue sheets for your routes. Those of us using GMNDs and PPPLs will appreciate it.

GMND = geomagnetic navigational devices (compasses)

PPPL = printed on paper position locators (maps)
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

ARValkguy

Routes

Hey Folks, I am currently trying to plot my route from western AR to the ralley site. I was curious about HWY 441 through the Great Smokey Mountains Park. How long is that route and what is the ride like? Thank you.

Kelly

WBIEL
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
    I'm staying at the sleep in and suites. A LOT of the rooms are booked already for sure. This one was in the upper $70's plus the 16.5% tax

I hate humidity and after a days riding an air conditioned room rules!

I still have some rooms blocked in my name at Comfort in Johnson City, Rooms with 2 Queen Beds, Rooms with 1 king and sleeper sofa. Room rate at 79$ before any discounts like AMA. The area is expecting a large number of kids for some baseball playoffs during that week so get your rooms early! Call me at 601-466-1651 to get the details on how to get one of the blocked rooms! If i dont ans leave message.

William Biel
    BMWROM
    Petal,Ms.
    601-466-1651 cell

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by ARValkguy View Post
    Hey Folks, I am currently trying to plot my route from western AR to the ralley site. I was curious about HWY 441 through the Great Smokey Mountains Park. How long is that route and what is the ride like? Thank you.

Kelly
    lovely road gets up to around 6000 feet as you cross the top of the Smokies. I think it was about an hour or two from Gatlinburg to Cheerokee with some nice twisty parts and at one end the road does a full 360 deg loop, when I saw the sign I did a double take, it shows the road going in a full circle!wtf??? turns out you go thru a tunnel, then the road starts to turn to the left thru a full 360 deg. as it climbs the side of the mountains and brings you back to a point right above the tunnel and several hundred feet higher and you continue in the same direction. I got a pic of the sign but its on my system at home. I'll have to post it later. you should do that road.

RM

Smile Vollenteers?

Part of the fun for me at the National is to Volunteer to help.

How soon will you be taking names?

Sparkchaser1200
    2006 K1200LT and K12R