Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Tennessee National Rally

I'm looking forward to attending, and losing my Canadian accent for the week. I promise to stop saying Eh, and start using y'all.

For those of the Southern persuasion, I am not a Yankee, even if I sound like one.

(Canadians did previously venture south into Washington and burn the Presidential Mansion, however the RCMP took away our matches and told us to behave when we travel, so we will).

In addition we developed a northern accent so we could blend in with our neighbours to south. We haven't lost our spelling differences however).

Looking forward to attending, and volunteering at the rally.

See y'all there..........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Another Canuck looking to head south for awhile...

Vance, congratulations (?) on the position...we did some volunteer work this year out west, and hopefully we can expand our duties next year...for us its a straight shot south to a part of the continent we spend as much time as possible touring (especially during the cooler months up here).

See you in '09, eh?

Bruce and Katie
    Ottawa
    One is never enough...'12 R1200GS Rallye SE, Aging 09 F800GS, 09 HP2 Sport and 76 Suzuki Water Buffalo and ??

Thanks Ian and Ken for posting the weather info. I have had many ask about the humidity and temperature that time of the year. See it is not bad...mid 60's at night will be great for camping. And I suspect that most will be "in the wind" during the day even if it is a little warm

I doubt I will.....hmmmmm but I will want to be!

Ya'll come on down!

WBIEL
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
    The Red Roof Inn is about 7-8 miles away from the rally site. Rooms are ~$50, but if you're an AMA member, it'll be less.

I did some checking and found most motels wouldnt reserve that far out. I also found out that at that same time there is going to be Little league World Series playoffs. We all know what that means! I was able to get Comfort Inn in Johnson City to work with me on making some reservations. I have "blocked" 18 rooms in my name. 12 with 2 queen beds, 6 with 1 King and a sofa sleeper. All non smoking at a rate of 79$ a night. Less any discounts like AMA. If anyone would like to get one or more of these rooms contact me at 1-601-466-1651 (cell) if no ans leave message I will get back. These were some nice folkes and said they would rather have us than a couple hundred screamin kids......Go figure!

William Biel
    BMW Riders of Mississippi

wsteinborn
    This is great. My wife was born in Johnson city and her family is now on Knoxville.

So it looks like I may attend.

It will rain at night. We were in Knoxville the last week in July this year and it pretty much rained every night. Humidity is higher than Kansas City, and that is saying a lot!

Lots of nice riding roads. Good GS roads around Joyce Kilmer forest (near the Dragon). Maybe I'll have to rent a GS or trade in my RT.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by wsteinborn View Post
    This is great. My wife was born in Johnson city and her family is now on Knoxville.

So it looks like I may attend.

It will rain at night. We were in Knoxville the last week in July this year and it pretty much rained every night. Humidity is higher than Kansas City, and that is saying a lot!

Lots of nice riding roads. Good GS roads around Joyce Kilmer forest (near the Dragon). Maybe I'll have to rent a GS or trade in my RT.
    The hundred miles between Johnson City and Knoxville must make a lot of difference. My daughter lives about 10-15 miles from Gray and her grass turned brown in July due to the lack of rain. I live 60 miles on the other side and would love to have had the rain.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

WBIEL
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    The hundred miles between Johnson City and Knoxville must make a lot of difference. My daughter lives about 10-15 miles from Gray and her grass turned brown in July due to the lack of rain. I live 60 miles on the other side and would love to have had the rain.

I get up there 2 times a week and am headed to Elizabethton Monday morning. There has been little or no rain for some time now.But its a lot cooler than it is here!

Eating Places on the way to the Rally?

What about identifying your favorite eateries in your local area, so those traveling to/from the Rally can have some tasty food along the way?
    West Tennessee:
    Tiptonville, TN (northwest TN)--Boyette's-Home style
    Tiptonville, TN --Flippins-freshly made fried pies
    Mason, TN (Exit 35 on I-40)-- Gus'--fried chicken
    Memphis, TN (southwest TN)--Rendezvous-BBQ

North GA:
    Dillard, GA --The Dillard House--home style
    Helen, GA -- Troll's--American

Blue Ridge Parkway:
    Roanoke, VA--Blue Ridge Parkway-Brugh Tavern--American
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    What about identifying your favorite eateries in your local area, so those traveling to/from the Rally can have some tasty food along the way?
    West Tennessee:

North GA:

Blue Ridge Parkway:
    If you like true southern mountain country cooking near the Blue Ridge parkway, I have two. The very best and the cheapest is on Rt 52, about 5 miles from the Parkway in Cana, Virginia. You simply get on south Rt 52 at Fancy Gap, VA and ride down the mountain until you get to the Hungry Farmer on the left just before you get to the NC line and Mount Airy. The second best place (but more expensive) is Shatley Springs on Rt 16 near West Jefferson, NC. It is about a dozen miles off the Parkway.

Partners BBQ is in Bluff City on Bristol Highwaynear Johnson City if you want a good BBQ near the Rally.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

tkpinsc
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    If you like true southern mountain country cooking near the Blue Ridge parkway, I have two. The very best and the cheapest is on Rt 52, about 5 miles from the Parkway in Cana, Virginia. You simply get on south Rt 52 at Fancy Gap, VA and ride down the mountain until you get to the Hungry Farmer on the left just before you get to the NC line and Mount Airy. The second best place (but more expensive) is Shatley Springs on Rt 16 near West Jefferson, NC. It is about a dozen miles off the Parkway.

Partners BBQ is in Bluff City on Bristol Highwaynear Johnson City if you want a good BBQ near the Rally.
    North Ga = TWO campground kitchen in Suches

Boone/Blowing Rock NC next to parkway south on 321 bypass = Woodlands BBQ

Beer/wine store = Peabodys on 105 at the 105 and 321 intersection in Boone

you forgot Bozo's

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    West Tennessee:

North GA:

Blue Ridge Parkway:
    How could you mention Mason and not mention Bozo's BBQ?
    RKL
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

I am so psyched to be back there. Some of the finest riding in the country is right nearby.

For those that were complaining about Gillette, like I said earlier, wait a bit and we'll be at a location you like - not that I didn't have an absolute ball in Gillette.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    ... not that I didn't have an absolute ball in Gillette.
    Yeah, but how much weight did you gain????

tb (from White River Ontario on my way to Duluth )
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

Tasety places to eat

Quote Originally Posted by robertklee View Post
    I don't like Bozo's and everybody needs to try the Rendezvous dry ribs once then eat their BBQ chicken.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Tasty places to eat

Quote Originally Posted by robertklee View Post
    I don't like Bozo's and everybody needs to try the Rendezvous dry ribs once then eat their BBQ chicken.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf