• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 Tennessee National Rally

Gillette was my first rally and i am looking forward to next year in TN. coming from the east coast i imagine the nights in TN are humid so instead of camping next year i reserved a room at the Ramada Inn in Johnson City.

I would like to know if the nights will cool off or not? I am not use to the humidity so I am not sure if I would sleep good camping or not. Will some folks please let me know so I can plan on a motel or tent. Thanks! :D

I would like to know if the nights will cool off or not? I am not use to the humidity so I am not sure if I would sleep good camping or not. Will some folks please let me know so I can plan on a motel or tent. Thanks! :D

here is the historical information for the area.

temps average in the low-to-mid 60s at night... very nice. humidity does exist. :)

there is not a ton of shade at the location, if you have a parawing or other type of shade device, it's worth bringing.

ian

I was born in this area 60 years ago and it is most unusual to have a warm night. It was 46 degrees when I got up this morning (60 miles away). The weather around here is moderate the year round. That is why halfbacks are buying property around here (halfbacks are people that moved from the north to Florida, didn't like the storms/weather/high insurance/ethnic mix, etc and moved halfway back). Natural disasters are very rare with flooding the main one (but if you live on one of our thousands of hills, that is not a problem)

Ken

I'm looking forward to attending, and losing my Canadian accent for the week. I promise to stop saying Eh, and start using y'all.

For those of the Southern persuasion, I am not a Yankee, even if I sound like one.

(Canadians did previously venture south into Washington and burn the Presidential Mansion, however the RCMP took away our matches and told us to behave when we travel, so we will).:doh

In addition we developed a northern accent so we could blend in with our neighbours to south. We haven't lost our spelling differences however).

Looking forward to attending, and volunteering at the rally.

See y'all there..........Rod.:ca

Another Canuck looking to head south for awhile...

Vance, congratulations (?) on the position...we did some volunteer work this year out west, and hopefully we can expand our duties next year...for us its a straight shot south to a part of the continent we spend as much time as possible touring (especially during the cooler months up here).

See you in '09, eh?

Bruce and Katie
Ottawa

Thanks Ian and Ken for posting the weather info. I have had many ask about the humidity and temperature that time of the year. See it is not bad...mid 60's at night will be great for camping. And I suspect that most will be "in the wind" during the day even if it is a little warm :wave

I doubt I will.....hmmmmm but I will want to be!

Ya'll come on down!

The Red Roof Inn is about 7-8 miles away from the rally site. Rooms are ~$50, but if you're an AMA member, it'll be less.

I did some checking and found most motels wouldnt reserve that far out. I also found out that at that same time there is going to be Little league World Series playoffs. We all know what that means! I was able to get Comfort Inn in Johnson City to work with me on making some reservations. I have "blocked" 18 rooms in my name. 12 with 2 queen beds, 6 with 1 King and a sofa sleeper. All non smoking at a rate of 79$ a night. Less any discounts like AMA. If anyone would like to get one or more of these rooms contact me at 1-601-466-1651 (cell) if no ans leave message I will get back. These were some nice folkes and said they would rather have us than a couple hundred screamin kids......Go figure!

William Biel
BMW Riders of Mississippi

This is great. My wife was born in Johnson city and her family is now on Knoxville.

So it looks like I may attend.

It will rain at night. We were in Knoxville the last week in July this year and it pretty much rained every night. Humidity is higher than Kansas City, and that is saying a lot!

Lots of nice riding roads. Good GS roads around Joyce Kilmer forest (near the Dragon). Maybe I'll have to rent a GS or trade in my RT.

This is great. My wife was born in Johnson city and her family is now on Knoxville.

So it looks like I may attend.

It will rain at night. We were in Knoxville the last week in July this year and it pretty much rained every night. Humidity is higher than Kansas City, and that is saying a lot!

Lots of nice riding roads. Good GS roads around Joyce Kilmer forest (near the Dragon). Maybe I'll have to rent a GS or trade in my RT.

The hundred miles between Johnson City and Knoxville must make a lot of difference. My daughter lives about 10-15 miles from Gray and her grass turned brown in July due to the lack of rain. I live 60 miles on the other side and would love to have had the rain.

The hundred miles between Johnson City and Knoxville must make a lot of difference. My daughter lives about 10-15 miles from Gray and her grass turned brown in July due to the lack of rain. I live 60 miles on the other side and would love to have had the rain.

I get up there 2 times a week and am headed to Elizabethton Monday morning. There has been little or no rain for some time now.But its a lot cooler than it is here!

Eating Places on the way to the Rally?

What about identifying your favorite eateries in your local area, so those traveling to/from the Rally can have some tasty food along the way?
West Tennessee:
Tiptonville, TN (northwest TN)--Boyette's-Home style
Tiptonville, TN --Flippins-freshly made fried pies
Mason, TN (Exit 35 on I-40)-- Gus'--fried chicken
Memphis, TN (southwest TN)--Rendezvous-BBQ

North GA:
Dillard, GA --The Dillard House--home style
Helen, GA -- Troll's--American

Blue Ridge Parkway:
Roanoke, VA--Blue Ridge Parkway-Brugh Tavern--American

What about identifying your favorite eateries in your local area, so those traveling to/from the Rally can have some tasty food along the way?
West Tennessee:

North GA:

Blue Ridge Parkway:

If you like true southern mountain country cooking near the Blue Ridge parkway, I have two. The very best and the cheapest is on Rt 52, about 5 miles from the Parkway in Cana, Virginia. You simply get on south Rt 52 at Fancy Gap, VA and ride down the mountain until you get to the Hungry Farmer on the left just before you get to the NC line and Mount Airy. The second best place (but more expensive) is Shatley Springs on Rt 16 near West Jefferson, NC. It is about a dozen miles off the Parkway.

Partners BBQ is in Bluff City on Bristol Highwaynear Johnson City if you want a good BBQ near the Rally.

If you like true southern mountain country cooking near the Blue Ridge parkway, I have two. The very best and the cheapest is on Rt 52, about 5 miles from the Parkway in Cana, Virginia. You simply get on south Rt 52 at Fancy Gap, VA and ride down the mountain until you get to the Hungry Farmer on the left just before you get to the NC line and Mount Airy. The second best place (but more expensive) is Shatley Springs on Rt 16 near West Jefferson, NC. It is about a dozen miles off the Parkway.

Partners BBQ is in Bluff City on Bristol Highwaynear Johnson City if you want a good BBQ near the Rally.

North Ga = TWO campground kitchen in Suches

Boone/Blowing Rock NC next to parkway south on 321 bypass = Woodlands BBQ

Beer/wine store = Peabodys on 105 at the 105 and 321 intersection in Boone

you forgot Bozo's

West Tennessee:

North GA:

Blue Ridge Parkway:

How could you mention Mason and not mention Bozo's BBQ?
:usa

I am so psyched to be back there. Some of the finest riding in the country is right nearby. :clap

For those that were complaining about Gillette, like I said earlier, wait a bit and we'll be at a location you like - not that I didn't have an absolute ball in Gillette. :thumb

Back