• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Earles Fork frustrations

Getting better faster than any of the medical types expected but still totally frustrated
by not knowing exactly what caused this crash. For the time being I would trust Mr.
Dean's advice and ride these things bare and totally stock till I have an answer.

This of course makes these bikes totally usless to me because I need to go touring
and a bare bike doesn't cut the mustard for that purpose.

Still not fit to wrench with any force but had a friend jerk the fork head about and the
front and rear swingarms and the wheels to check for any sign of loosness and
there appears to be none in any of the associated bearings.

Tank slapper occured when I crossed at gentle angle during lane change the yellow
reflectors glued to the newly repaved perfectly smooth interstate. There may have
been some wake turbulence involved but I didn't feel it. I am not an urban aggressive
commuter type so was making the lane change smoothly with plenty of room both
front and back in a relaxed manner. If the reflectors set this off I did not feel them
but is the only thing I can think of at this point. I was in a 75mph (110ft/sec) lane and
moving into a 70mph lane when I was pitched in 1/3 of a second (34 feet) - less than
any human's reaction time.

Having experienced many instances of minor wiggles or weaves on older BMW cycles
since I switched to BMW from HD and Guzzi in 1987 I had a learned confidence of
easy recovery from this instability which in my case usually began when I pushed one
of these old machines over 85mph usually into a downhill sweeper with some bumps
or dips in the curve. Getting a firm grip and looking well ahead while gradually rolling
off throttle always brought me out of these weaves - not fun but not totally scary. The
trick to avoid problems was not to go so damn fast or travel with others who did. I never
had any insability whatsoever at 75mph or less on any kind of road and never
experienced a true tank slapper until this Nov 9, 2008 crash.

Back