• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

License plate helmet lock- R12RT

I thought I saw a license plate bracket with 2 helmet locks built in that would fit an R12RT- but I've been looking through a few vendor's websites and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. If anyone out there has seen or knows what I'm talking about please chime in and let me know how/where to find it. Thanks.

Ya' mean this?

guardian-pkg.jpg

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=GUARDIAN

Be careful if you install one of these on your bike. It's a bit heavy as compared to just a license plate. I had a similiar one installed on my R1150RT. After several years of running with it the license plate bracket broke and my tag fell off.

Actually, Z-Technik makes one specifically for BMW's and I have had one on my R1200RT for years. If securely mounted, no worries, mate.

Still need those 'helmet extenders,' the metal bars that slip thru your helmet's D-ring and then lock to the cycle. Otherwise, too snug a fit.

But an excellent way to secure two full helmets and not use up valuable space in the bike's luggage.

Two pieces of advice:

1) Carry a waterproofed helmet bag with you. If it looks like rain, enclose the helmet in the bag first, with just the strap with the D-ring protruding, and then lock to the bike. Prevents the helmet from becoming a water-bucket once you return.

2) Source for Purchase if you can't find one: Milwaukee BMW (Ask for John, and mention my name - he'll sell one to you anyways!)

Thanks guys. Good points about the weight of the cycle gadgets one. I may give Milwaukee BMW a call and pick up the Ztechnik/helmet bars and a couple of water proof covers if they have them.

I put a license plate helmet lock on my '06 RT. I don't remember the brand name but it took some shims to get everything working. It's OK but not great; very awkward to use when the trunk is on the bike.
It doesn't work for me anymore. My Nolan N-102 flip up helmet doesn't have a D-ring. I bought a compact cable lock from Motorcycle Superstore for $15.99. It's easy to use; I put it through the helmet and around the passenger grab handle then set the helmet on the passenger seat. The cable is long enough that you can also secure your jacket with it.
TX_18.jpg">

You boys and girls know there's a cable hook under the passenger seat right? :deal

Yes, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm not sure how I'd use it. It's not convenient to get at, I don't have the cable and I don't think I'd like where things attached to it would hang. Does anyone here use it?

Yes, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm not sure how I'd use it. It's not convenient to get at, I don't have the cable and I don't think I'd like where things attached to it would hang. Does anyone here use it?

Nope- I'm aware that it exists...but that's as far as I got with it. I'd rather use something that doesn't require seat removal- especially when the bike is loaded with gear.

[QUOTE

Still need those 'helmet extenders,' the metal bars that slip thru your helmet's D-ring and then lock to the cycle. Otherwise, too snug a fit.

[/QUOTE]

I have been using the Ztecnick for years and never even knew there were 'helmet extenders'...just reach thru the faceshield opening. Works for me. Also keeps the helmet horizontal to the ground and with the shield closed no water ever gets in...no need for a 'waterproof helmet bag'!

Jim

Back