• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Finally, a ride report from me!

Sunday: The long way home

Whew. Saturday was fun! I had a great time every day. This usually causes some kind of depression on Sunday. However, I was ready to see my family, so I awoke with a sense of urgency. I had some water so I brushed my teeth and washed up. We started packing up, and saying our goodbyes. My brother and the rest of our group were going on to Paonia. AL and I were heading home. A word about Al. We have gone to 8 or 9 Nat'ls together, and this was the first time we actually got separated. He is usually very patient with my picture taking, we miscommunicated on Hwy 16 in Rapid City. We were fairly close to Gillette by this point and he did wait for me several times, but I was on different roads playing tourist. :laugh

So Sunday we got on the Freeway at around 10:00, and headed to Rapid City. I love the west, so I was really enjoying the ride. It was a beautiful day, and the bikes were running strong. We got off to get gas in Wyoming, and talked to some HD riders that were there also.
We headed into Sturgis, and took Hwy 34. It parallels 90 all the way across SD. Hwy 34 is a long, lonely stretch of road, so we made good time. It got a little bit warmer. but as long as you were moving, it was great. We came upon the Cheyenne River, out in the middle of nowhere. It was beautiful.
Looking west.
P7200257.jpg

Looking east.
P7200265.jpg

Looking south
P7200244.jpg

Looking north
P7200251.jpg

It was really green, more green than I remember SD.
P7200260.jpg

We had some drinks, admired the view. There were a large flock of birds wheeling all about by the river. I assume they were feeding on the bugs.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/RapidR/BMWMOA%202008/P7200254.flv">

We came upon this Gas station, which, if not there, would force someone to carry gas cans, or know of one near Hwy 34 , opened on Sunday.
P7200269.jpg

The guy working says his place is motorcycle friendly. I ask him if I can take his picture and let other riders know this on the internet. He says "sure".
P7200268.jpg

Another pair of riders pull in, 1 solo on an older airhead (big bike) and another guy 2 up on a /5. At 4.5 gallons, he needed this place. :laugh
We talked with them and they snacked (the cook was off) and left while we took a long break. We left there content and with full tanks.

As we went through Pierre, we pulled over by the Missouri to take it all in, and have a cool drink.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/RapidR/BMWMOA%202008/P7200272.flv">
As we made our way east, I hit reserve. No big deal, we knew there were towns ahead. We still kept up our rapid pace, and suddenly I'm on double secret reserve! Al is ahead and I can't/won't catch him. We come up to a stop sign and I tell him the scoop. There is a town 3 miles south and 21 miles east, according to the sign. We agree to go south the 3 miles, only to find out the town has no gas station. Now is the time where I tell you Al had his GS tank widened and it holds 7 and 3/4 gallons.:brow I slam a soda, and we use the bottle and transfer gas 3 times.
P7200273.jpg

We then head back to the crossroads, turn east, I hid behind the windshield and we cruised at 60mph. We made town and they had gas. We talked to a HD rider there for a bit, I bought ice, and we took off.
We stopped in Madison SD, about 40 miles from the border to MN.
A Super 8, with a chain pizza place next door, we are in heaven.
:laugh
I make the call to my wife, and changed. We head next door and get a pizza, garlic cheese bread, salad, and I ate it all. After gas station food, if anything, I was ready for some real food. We head back to the room and both fall asleep quickly. Tomorrow, Al is heading up to the family cottage in MN and I am heading home. We will be splitting up, and I have 500 more miles to go.:huh

Dude, you are still not home?:stick :D :bow
I got home Monday, the next day after the rally ended. You can't rush art.........or what I am doing either.:p

The last installment will be in today, sometime. I also have a retaining wall I am wrangling with pardner.

ride report

Thanks Roy; I could feel the energy in the beer tent.

I've toured with my brother for years, and have many fond memories. And we do get separated at times...:D

Rinty

I should point out that all Al's bikes have extended range , or larger gas tanks. He told me I should know by now he likes me, he has more gas, he could leave me at any time.:ha

I would come down and help with the wall but I am on a nothing weekend and enjoying it. Oh snap, wrong thread!!!

:doh

I do believe it's going to kill me Barry, and I wouldn't dare ask any of my friends to help. :ha

I am taking it easy today, working with Rachael.
She is heavier, but it is even more rewarding.:heart
Here is what Barry is talking about, for those who wonder.
It is relevant to the ride report, because when I got home, it was waiting for me. :ha
P7120004.jpg

I have done the building all by myself. My brother helped with the leveling and base. I am an idiot.

Monday (last week) I try to get a leg up on the last leg..

....home. I awoke to Al starting to pack. I cleaned up, snagged some oj and a bagel from the continental breakfast, and also started packing.
Hwy 34 changes to 30 when you cross the border. As we reached Pipestone, MN, I wave to Al who was taking Hwy 23 up to the cabin.
Pipestone is so named for the stone the Indians used to make their pipes (and more than a few hippies, I would imagine. :ha). I continued on Hwy 30, and followed a natural progression of roads that turned me southward towards 90. Hwy 30 to Hwy 59 to Hwy 62 to Hwy 71. As I rode, I came across those Wind farms so well covered by Beemer01.
Here is a video, please ignore the moment where I did not lose my footing and almost fall over, it never happened.:blush
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/RapidR/BMWMOA%202008/P7210283.flv">
I stopped at a Town Park to snack and hit the restroom. They had a cool Log Cabin there:
P7210291.jpg

I finally reached 90, about 80 miles from Albert Lee, and started to hoof it.
When I reached Albert Lee, I decided to treat myself to a nice meal at a real restaurant. instead of the gas station food I had been eating.
P7210296.jpg

Well, it was a step up. I called my wife and told her where I was. She said that was at least 6 hours, and I told her I was doing my best. I fueled up and took off. I kept watching the signs and La Crosse, WI kept getting closer and closer. Finally, I crossed the mighty Mississippi.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/RapidR/BMWMOA%202008/P7210306.flv">
:dunno
You saw as much as I did. :ha
Lucky I wasn't riding behind this guy.
P7210297.jpg

(It's on my bike. :ha)

From La Crosse to Waukesha is 194 miles, according to Google Maps. I made it in 3.5 hours and I stopped twice, once for a break and once for fuel. I know many of you are awaiting with baited breath, the news that my second cooler made it safely home. It did.
P7210308.jpg

Finally, I am safe at home, a self portrait.
P7210314.jpg

My hat made it too

Glad to see the cooler made it. I tied my straw cowboy hat to the top of my Helen's bag and it flapped in the wind all the way home. Could hardly believe it was still in one piece when I got here. Plus it seems to have strained the bugs through it and wasn't covered like my bike and suit were.

Holly

Great stuff Roy!

I wish I'd met you. Being the dumbass that I am, I totally forgot about the Forum Frenzy and spent that time catching up with other stuff. :doh

Great stuff Roy!

I wish I'd met you. Being the dumbass that I am, I totally forgot about the Forum Frenzy and spent that time catching up with other stuff. :doh
:ha Thanks, and I wish I had met you too. You were another name on my mental list of people I wanted to meet. I hope you had a great trip.
:wave

Back