Thread: "rain X" on plastic?

Hybrid View

DavidBMWRT

"rain X" on plastic?

Can I use ÔÇ£RAIN XÔÇØ on my BMWRT windshield and (or) my HJC helmet face shield?

The instructions on the bottle say, ÔÇ£Do not use on plastic unless pre-approved by the manufacture of the plastic to be treatedÔÇØ

In South Georgia, riding in the rain is sort of fun, (If like me, you try to see things the way a kid does).

But if the rain is hard enough to ÔÇ£drown a frogÔÇØ then of course it becomes very difficult to see where youÔÇÖre going.

I thought about using ÔÇ£Rain XÔÇØ but I donÔÇÖt want to ruin the windshield.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBMWRT View Post
    Can I use “RAIN X” on my BMWRT windshield and (or) my HJC helmet face shield?

The instructions on the bottle say, “Do not use on plastic unless pre-approved by the manufacture of the plastic to be treated”

In South Georgia, riding in the rain is sort of fun, (If like me, you try to see things the way a kid does).

But if the rain is hard enough to “drown a frog” then of course it becomes very difficult to see where you’re going.

I thought about using “Rain X” but I don’t want to ruin the windshield.

What are your thoughts?
    Rain-X works fine on my Nolan N-102, has worked ok on my Shoei helmets in the past. I have an added problem of eye-glasses inside my helmet, so it's really a problem if the shield and the lenses start to fog! I Rain-X them both.

Len

I've used Rain-X on both my Shoei Multi-tech and Ztechnik windshield with no adverse effects.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

I RainXed my HJC helmet shield a few months ago... had no issues at all.

I just wax my wind screens, helps the bugs come off.

Used it (Rain-X) on my 1986 Yamaha Venture Royal w/s and within a few months the w/s crazed to the point you couldn't see through it. Never used it on anything but glass since.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by MPATROVSKY View Post
    Used it (Rain-X) on my 1986 Yamaha Venture Royal w/s and within a few months the w/s crazed to the point you couldn't see through it. Never used it on anything but glass since.
    +1 used it on my boat windows - crazed in short order. Read an article years ago that said not to use it on motorcycle windshields, Said there had been cases where the windshield broke off where the windshield was mounted to the windshield frame. Fortunately I did not use it on the bike and am very sorry I used it on the boat. I used it up on my car but do not use the product any more period. It did work well on the car glass though.