• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Speed trap in Bryon WY

Anybody else get ticket in Bryon WY on 14A? The speed limit went from 65 MPH to 30 MPH in 750 feet.

I think <s>we</s> my V1 saw two officers when we went through Byron. IIRC there were signs on a couple of the small towns warning of the slowdown in x feet.

Those small towns are always areas to keep a sharp eye out for, especially when there are big happenings going on.

Sure did

So we were not the only naughty ones. My wife on her 1200 RT and me on my 1150 GS had stopped to look at the map just past the 60 MPH sign. When we got situated,we got back on the bikes and accelerated "up to speed" just in time to see a well hidden cop who waved us both down. Apparently I was clocked at 39 MPH and my wife at 40 MPH. He was kind enough to only charge one of us when he realized we were wife and husband (me of course) and collect the $96 on the spot. The wide double lane roads give the impression of a higher speed limit and we never saw the 30 MPH sign that must have been right after the 60MPH sign. Anyway, he was ready to accept all major credit cards or make any change required given we were from Canada, so clearly this is a regular money maker.
It sure made us very well behaved the rest of the trip as we approached towns. Anyway, tickets seem cheaper in the US and I am not sure we would have had the same break (two for one) elsewhere, so no hard feelings.

That whole "pay for your ticket on the spot" thing is proof positive that 99.9% of the "enforcement" is just a rouse for revenue generation.

Yep, on way to Redmond

How many years ago was that, seven? Anyway, same thing, coming into town, I usually lead because I generally see all the speed zone signs. I did, we all slowed down, I got the ticket, hubby, sis & bro-n-law were all told they were doing the correct speed, I was the only one speeding. All 3 of them right behind me. Back then I was allowed to mail it in. Guess they got enough to buy a credit card reader.
Byron is a one stop shop.
:doh

That whole "pay for your ticket on the spot" thing is proof positive that 99.9% of the "enforcement" is just a rouse for revenue generation.

Or proof that some places know that the chances you'll pay the fine when you're hundreds if not thousands of miles away are thin at best.

Ticket in Byron

A buddy and I spent the night with a friend of his near Byron on the way to Gillette. He warned us that the city of Byron make all of their city budget with the speed trap and that they will ticket at 2MPH over the 30 posted! As we approached Byron my V1 picked up the cop but we had slowed down well before hand. When we saw the cop he waived at us but still checked us with radar as we left. The friend that warned us said the city made $138,000 on tickets last year!!! Glad we got the warning or we would probably have contributed to the towns budget as well!

A buddy and I spent the night with a friend of his near Byron on the way to Gillette. He warned us that the city of Byron make all of their city budget with the speed trap and that they will ticket at 2MPH over the 30 posted! As we approached Byron my V1 picked up the cop but we had slowed down well before hand. When we saw the cop he waived at us but still checked us with radar as we left. The friend that warned us said the city made $138,000 on tickets last year!!! Glad we got the warning or we would probably have contributed to the towns budget as well!

I can only guess that the officer was in the bathroom when I went through town. :ha

I live in Cody and have for 11 years. I have never heard of paying tickets on the spot. A friend of ours said the judge and sheriff in Bridger, Montana got caught ticketing speeders with out of state plates and splitting the money between themselves. They only got busted when an attorney from Billings in a rental car with Utah plates appealed the ticket and found discrepancies. I don't know if it's just a tall tale or not. Might be worth checking into...

just my two cents worth

bronco bob

I live in Cody and have for 11 years. I have never heard of paying tickets on the spot. A friend of ours said the judge and sheriff in Bridger, Montana got caught ticketing speeders with out of state plates and splitting the money between themselves. They only got busted when an attorney from Billings in a rental car with Utah plates appealed the ticket and found discrepancies. I don't know if it's just a tall tale or not. Might be worth checking into...

just my two cents worth

bronco bob

I did not have to pay on the spot or asked to. Was told if I did not pay they would turn it over to my state. The couple from Canada may have been different.

Having been "out west" several times I learned from the locals to do 2 miles under the limit to avoid issues with the local taxman, so Bryon MT made no money with me passing through. :clap

Back