• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Ride to Gillette

Sharon flew home on Sunday morning and I rode home Sunday and Monday.
Southwest of Mono Lake.
2694104698_13575ecf4a_b.jpg

2693294649_b37ff34f95_b.jpg

Until next time. I'll see you on the road...
2694110088_35260f8c30_b.jpg

The full slideshow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/burnszilla/sets/72157606318321142/show/

AWESOME as usual... and thanks. Great land shots and really good faces for names I know well.

superb report, Stephen... and... :bow most excellent photos by you and Sharon.

it was great to meet her and you in person.

ian

Flat-out, end-of-story, no-bout-a-doubt-it, serious-as-a-heart-attack awesome pictures. Every last one. Fabulous.

:bow

Wow Sharon! Great pix!

I know you took a couple too burnszy. So good job to you too :D

Awesome pics...

It looks like you folks rode through some gorgeous country and sites on the way to Gillette. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. I did take photography in art college. OCAD.
Kit lens. Supposedly a limited edition.

What makes for a good scene to the naked eye isn't necessarily what makes a good photograph.

What makes for a good photograph isn't necessarily the stuff of a good painting.

dammit

I tend to shoot what I think will make a good painting or I just think is interesting. The possibly good photographs get lost in the mix.

Of the photos you take (I assume some are clinkers), you take some great shots. I'm jealous.

What makes for a good scene to the naked eye isn't necessarily what makes a good photograph.

What makes for a good photograph isn't necessarily the stuff of a good painting.

dammit

I tend to shoot what I think will make a good painting or I just think is interesting. The possibly good photographs get lost in the mix.

Of the photos you take (I assume some are clinkers), you take some great shots. I'm jealous.
I do have to say it's hard to take a bad shot with this new camera.

I can tell when a painting is taken from a photo. I used to sometimes paint from photos and all my instructors would say, "You painted this from a photo."
The art that was shown at the Rally, I felt was all drawn from photos. It kind of takes away from painting/drawing because it's like a copy of a photo and not an interpretation of the scene through the artist's eyes.

I do have to say it's hard to take a bad shot with this new camera.

I can tell when a painting is taken from a photo. I used to sometimes paint from photos and all my instructors would say, "You painted this from a photo."
The art that was shown at the Rally, I felt was all drawn from photos. It kind of takes away from painting/drawing because it's like a copy of a photo and not an interpretation of the scene through the artist's eyes.

It very much depends on how the artist uses the photos. Most works that used photos as source materials do look like the final image was just a photo run through a clumsy photo filter. It is, however, possible to use them as a starting point to something 'better'. The eye, as you suggest, sees and interprets very differently than the lens and sensor/film. You can often see that difference when the photo gets regurgitated as a painting.

OTOH, you may have seen the painting of mine that Kbasa. It was started from some photos (sorta). I don't think anyone would mistake it as a regurgitation.

Yes, I am amazing. :ha

Back