• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Head count for 08

Second Rally

Gillette was my second rally. I really enjoyed my first in West Bend. (Thanks Sue & Crew) Both of them were one long days ride from home for me. As a matter of fact both locations were within a handful of miles different from the other. You see I can only take one week of vacation at a time. So I have to be able to make the return trip on Sunday's. That way I can be at "battle stations" Monday morning. (I'd vote for Tuesday - Thursday or Wednesday - Friday rallies)

Both rallies I had planned on doing my riding before getting to the rally sight. Like Paul and Voni I took the long way to Gillette. i.e. Chief Joseph, Beartooth, and WY 14A/14. Once there I didn't start my GS till I was ready to leave Sunday. The rally to me is to see friends, meet new friends and to see the vendors and entertainment.

When Gillette was announced last year I was to say the least very happy. 1. Because I knew I would be able to get home in one day. And 2. Because I knew that there would be some great riding if I took a less direct route to Gillette.

Last year while riding the SS Badger I was talking to some people from the eastern seaboard. They were asking questions about riding "out west". While they had the atlas out they were asking if it was possible to go from point A to point B in a day. After trying to explain to them that the days they were planning would be really long, I finally explained it this way. "West of the Missouri River, distances are farther than they appear." I don't think they could grasp the vast open spaces of the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountain regions. I'm wondering if they made the trip this year to see those wide open spaces?

Was Gillette a success? Well for me is was! It allowed me to ride in the Rockies for 4 days and spend time with old and new friends. (Thanks Deb, Carol & Crew)

Will I make it 3 in a row? Nope, from the 2009 rally site to home is about 1100 miles. (mid week rally no problem, two 500 mile days) I really don't want to do a SS1K after being out for the previous 8 days. Maybe next year will be a regional rally summer, let's see, Top of the Rockies, Hiawatha rally.....maybe I'll see you down the road.

cold one

The beer garden has been good every rally I've been too. I guess I like to keep it simple.
robert:buds

Back