• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Had a great time, except...

Admit it - Mike is right

Food available at rally site - Hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, sometimes BBQ, popcorn, ice cream, beer.

Town involvement - zippo (This IS something the MOA could have and should have done something about, both during the selection process and as the event neared)

Vendor Exhibits - Closing at 6:00 pm was special. It's only three days long - knock yourself out!!!

Closing ceremonies - In the shade (good) but too long and too far away. Long walk for the winners took a LOT of time.

Proximity to good riding - POOR. Two hours away which means four hours of highway driving to get there and back on any given day. This is particularly disappointing since we could have held it somewhere in the Black Hills or closer to Yellowstone (such as the spectacular town of Cody, WY)

Volunteers - All good and much appreciated. It's the site selection and subsequent planning that fell short.

Some of us have been spoiled by the Top-of-the-Rockies Rally in Paonia, Colorado, where bike viewing meeting new friends is much easier, where the town's folks show up on mass and support the rally, where camping is in the shade and breakfast-lunch-dinner can be purchased without having to leave the site, and where pointing your bike in any direction finds great riding roads. I found the Gillette rally underwhelming at best. If it weren't for the factory BMW participation and the stunt riding events, I could have skipped it. Sorry, but it was not a good first time MOA rally experience.

What a disappointing Rally...

We did have a good dinner at the Prime Rib. But we were wise enough to make reservations ahead of time. Walked right in and had a great meal. Having said that, I'm disappointed in the rally. It was my first and unless it's held at a more desirable location, it'll be my last. If it wasn't for the company of friends, I'd classify this rally as a major disappointment (for me).

First the good:

Rally vendors. It was great to see so many vendors in a central location. Good to be able to converse with them one-on-one.

Both clean and hot bathroom facilities (I have to agree with MikesK12GT - With Campex so large, why weren't the showers located near the center of MOST of the campers? Unless you were camped in the 'North 40' you had to have a GS to navigate the mud on the race track to get to the showers).

The REALLY BAD:

Food vendors just stunk. Plain and simple. There were two of them in the facility. Two... I paid $7.50 for a handful of raviolis served by a junior high kid. Saturday morning we were looking for breakfast. Same lousy two food vendors were now 20 people stacked deep waiting for sweet rolls or a scrambled odd looking egg combo. We waited and gave up. I ended up eating Pizza... for breakfast. Didn't it dawn on anyone in the MOA to let the local Chamber of Commerce know we were coming? 5000 people likely waiting to pay for anything edible and we get two small vendors selling poor quality food. Somehow Pizza and Dippin' Dots aren't what I called quality food.

The closing ceremony was WAYYYYYY to long. And during the dinner hour no less. How many awards could there possibly be for "Traveling the furthest wearing blue socks on an air head from Arkansas"? I'd like to admire this as much as the next person, but for gawds sake put them all on the stage at the same time and say THANKS and move on. Did we really need to acknowledge the second and third place finishers as well? Here's a suggestion: Start the Closing Ceremony at 430p like is done do at Top of the Rockies, and cut the time in HALF.

As the previous poster mentioned (MikesK12GT) Gillette Wy was a LOUSY choice for riding. 100+ miles from ANY good riding is accurate ("It's about the Journey, NOT the Destination." - Right, keep telling yourself that. Hwy 59 North to Gillette with all the coal trains was very entertaining). What with many better choices in the Rocky Mountain Region (can you say Gunnison, Co?) it's a wonder 5100 attendees showed up at all. Me? I camped. I was one of the unfortunate folks that didn't get one of 12 camp sites with a 6' tree. (yes I knew this ahead of time. But when the majority of attendees camp, wouldn't it make sense to choose a site that is 'camper comfort friendly'? I wasn't the only one who noted that the chair for the 2009 MOA Rally (in Tn.) said "We've got trees and grass too!" We got what we asked for: camping on ground previously stomped on by horses and cattle.

There are three things that make any rally successful and popular: Location, Food and Weather (lest we forget about the staff that puts on the rally as well). BMW MOA (or anyone for that matter) can't do anything about the weather, but there is a lot of room for improvement on the first two. Show up at Top of The Rockies for an example of how a rally can be organized (there's trees in the Rockies along with great riding roads and food too!).

You can't put enough lipstick on this pig. What a disappointment. Lucky the guy "Traveling the furthest wearing blue socks on an air head from Arkansas" got a plaque for their effort. They won't have to ride as far next year and will arrive at a location with trees, riding roads, and (hopefully) food.

Mike O

P.S. No, I haven't posted much either, but I'd hope that wouldn't devalue the feedback... Slamming the previous poster doesn't change the fact the rally was subpar at best.

MOA Rally 208 - Fair to Midland

I have rally experinece and everything that has been said on this forum to date is typical of veterans, newby's, wants, don't wants, likes and dislikes. Maybe we should follow the lead of the Olypics and have an opening ceremony and all participants could parade throuh a crowd. Unforunately no crowds would show up. The rally is truely experienced only by the participants. I liked some things about this rally and somethings, well, they just stunk. To all those that are whinning about those that offered some CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISIM, grow up! How can you experinece a sunny day if you have never been rained on. How can you improve a poor performance if all you here is applause. Participants on this site have as much experience as you. Sure, it takes volunteers! Thank you for the great work. It also take foresight and vision to bring (and keep) new & old membership to "OUR RALLY". Some folks travel millions of miles to attend the event and don't want to leave to find food, shelter and a shower. Some stay other places and only attend the rally to meet new people, old people, the same people, see events and vendors and just have a good time. We are looking forward to MOA 2009 in TN and have thought of possibly towing my hot dog cart behind my bike for the 1400 mile journey to the rally.

We rode safely to the rally and rode safely home. Sure it was hot but we experienced four wonderfull days that would have never occured had the rally never taken place.

Hey, you have a booger in your nose!

I am just waiting to see all these folks at work on the new Rally Selection Committee and running for the Board of Directors and participating in the club elections.

As a volunteer, I can tell you how discouraging it is to read the criticisms. They are rarely deserved.

For instance - how do you know that Karol and Deb didn't beat all of the bushes, trying to find food vendors? :stick

Since we have no control over who will make arrangements to work our event, sometimes the toughest battles are the ones we lose. I know this because last year, I was in a panic trying to get food vendors to West Bend. At the last minute I got lucky. (WHEW!)

Many times, food vendors have a summer schedule of regular events that they are familiar with, year after year. Because our rally was a one-shot deal for Gillette, it's less likely that the local rolling food vendors were ready to give up their routine.

So don't be so quick to criticize, my friends. There are many behind-the-scenes discussions involved with putting on events like this. Sometimes you win, sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you need to step back and punt.

I am just waiting to see all these folks at work on the new Rally Selection Committee and running for the Board of Directors and participating in the club elections.

Careful, Darryl. With 40,000+ members, there are not enough 'positions of responsibility' to accomodate everyone who finds disfavor or room for improvement at a Rally.

You risk opening old wounds.....MANY see our current template for selecting a rally site as a flawed process, and said so, only to be shouted down by the faithful core.

If circumstances, personality or motivation does not lend itself to running for office or serving on a committee, an individual member still has as much a voice in the MOA as you, I or any BoD position.

As a volunteer, I can tell you how discouraging it is to read the criticisms. They are rarely deserved.

For instance - how do you know that Karol and Deb didn't beat all of the bushes, trying to find food vendors? :stick

Since we have no control over who will make arrangements to work our event, sometimes the toughest battles are the ones we lose. I know this because last year, I was in a panic trying to get food vendors to West Bend. At the last minute I got lucky. (WHEW!)

Many times, food vendors have a summer schedule of regular events that they are familiar with, year after year. Because our rally was a one-shot deal for Gillette, it's less likely that the local rolling food vendors were ready to give up their routine.

So don't be so quick to criticize, my friends. There are many behind-the-scenes discussions involved with putting on events like this. Sometimes you win, sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you need to step back and punt.

I had to smile, Sue. EVERYTHING you just said makes perfect sense.

But it is also one of the most compelling arguements to have not inked a deal with Gillette in the first place.

This group is a tough crowd from what I can see -- at least the online contingent. Demanding and not particularly friendly.

Just for clarification.....there were 13 food vendors (not 2). They were spread out. 1 full service in the North Forty. 1) in Energy Hall and 1) in East/Central. The rest were specialty foods and were scattered around.

Sue is correct....there were several events in Cheyenne and Cody competing for the vendors.

The 1 vendor we were counting on feeding alot of folks actually had a "domestic dispute", and lost his help. (wife and kids).
Suggestions are always welcome, but as Sue said, there are a lot of things beyond control, and for those that are disappointed.....I hope you at least met some great people, made some new friends, learned some stuff at the seminars, bought some neat stuff from the vendors, and rode some great rides to or from.

Volunteer to chair a committee (or a rally), volunteer to help all those hard-working folks that were begging for volunteers. Perhaps you would have had more fun!

Sorry you didn't enjoy our party.....maybe next time

Don't stifle the feedback

Darryl,

I'd be happy to offer my opinion on Rally sites and for the record I've voted as well. I certainly hope you're not suggesting that folks aren't allowed to complain/express opinions/offer suggestions until they fill a committee seat or sit on the board. That is a recipe for a declining membership base. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time (or energy) to participate at the levels you're suggesting (I applaud those that do). And those that can't, should NOT be stifled as a result.

Let's not be ostriches here. The rally had some real warts and not talking about them won't make them disappear.

Mike O

Rally problems?

The only problems I had at the rally was that I didnt get to see everybody I wanted to, or get to attend all of the great seminars, or have enough time to ride all of the great roads in the area that are there if you look for them.

As far as the food goes, it could have been better but I didnt go hungry, and the beer was cold. Thats enough for me.

I had fun, would go back again and want to thank all of the members who put this on.

For those with complaints, step up to the plate.

Looking forward to Tennessee next year.

Gillette

I had a pretty good time at Gillette, all things considered but that was in spite of the location, not because of it. The organizers, and workers did a great job with what they had to deal with and I thank you all for that but as many have said in this forum, the location was lacking. A camp ground without shade trees is indefensible, plain and simple. As is a motorcycle rally a hundred miles or more from good roads.

When Gillette was announced last year, there was a huge uproar over the location. I think the low attendence this year means that the objection was valid.

rally grousing

Regardless of the location of the National, or the protocol of the site selection process, (about which I express no opinion) every year we have a whole lot of grousing about this or that.

I sympathize with the volunteers who put in long hours in organizing the event, and who no doubt experience some degree of stress in doing so.

But it appears from the attendance numbers that thousands of members are still showing up each year.

Rinty

Great Ale!!

We had fun in Gillette. The lack of shade in the campground was not a problem. I was not in my tent in daylight hours. I was VERY grateful that my tent held together in Thursday nights storm. The showers and bathrooms in the North 40 were great. OK - the food onsite wasn't as good as I would have liked, but I did manage to sustain myself. The ale in the Saloon was wonderful:buds
Did anyone but me catch a cold?

I didn't make it to this rally. Had my work and other schedules lined up, I would have gone. Some of the complaints I see for this site are the same as I have seen for other sites. For example:

Trees. I didn't see too many of those in Wisconsin last year. There were a few trees in Vermont (and you could camp along the fence in areas to be NEAR (not under) trees. Shade is nice, but I've found it in short supply everywhere. Even the RA rally at the Biltmore had everyone setting up in a hilly, rough-ground open field with very limited coverage.

Food. Food on the rally site in VT was a bit pricey, and probably had the same number of options that it sounds like Gillette had. As for Wisconsin, if you weren't looking for a brat, good luck. :) Really, I found ONE vendor who sold cups of fresh fruit, but it wasn't cheap. No big deal; I left the rally site and found food elsewhere. I even met a bunch of cool forum folks by going to dinner with them to a really great Cuban restaurant in Milwaukee. I also had a meal courtesy of the MOA for being an ON contributer. That's a good way to get some great free food. :D

Showers. VT: kind of crowded at times. WI: not so crowded. I had to walk a bit to get to the showers in WI, but I could make the walk in 5 minutes. The exercise did me good. I was probably the same distance away in VT. There were MANY who had further to walk in VT. I had friends who were camped WAY out. Be happy the water was hot. RA rally at the Bilmore gave me an ICE ICE ICE cold shower the day I arrived. Thankfully it was pretty hot outside, but it was cold enough to give me a headache. I had hot water on other nights, but the showers were REALLY nasty dirty, and bathroom facilities were also not good. I believe the Biltmore was taking care of showers and not the RA (I'm not trying to knock the RA down. I'm just comparing).

Closing ceremony. It was long the past two years. It RAINED in VT. Sit with friends, have a beer, sit way out and don't pay much attention until they draw names for prizes. I did a fair bit of socializing between awards, last year.

The only way you're going to get gourmet meals, shade, and a shower close by is if you stay in a hotel. I'm sure we could also arrange something if they raised the rally fee to $200. I've seen photos of things like the Sturgis "rally" - their campgrounds look far worse (dirty, loud, muddy, and possibly no on-site food) than anything I've seen at an MOA rally. From what I've seen of the rally site this year, it looked like it was pretty well done. As for the location, it's not like you didn't know where you were going when you left home. :stick :p

WOW!! I did not mean to open Pandora's Box! I simply wanted to thank EVERYONE who worked so hard putting the rally together!

I had a good time, my friends all had a good time, and everyone we spoke to during the rally appeared to have been having a good time. Sure, there were some "issues" at the rally but that can be expected at every rally (i.e. too hot, too cold, too windy, too humid, too dry,...) Everyone can find something to complain about.

We just have to remember there were many folks who put a lot of their time and energy into making the rally the best they could, and THEY DID A GREAT JOB!! So again, to all of them, THANK YOU!!!

I am envious of all the folks that had a great time at the rally.. I know I missed seeing many old friends and lost the opportunity to experience some great adventure.. My schedule this year just didn't allow me the time to attend.
Congrats and thanks to all the rally chairs and volunteers..:clap Those of us that know what you do really do appreciate your efforts.. Bah Humbug to the glass half full crowd.:nono . I guarantee no matter where, or whatever the location might be, these events are what you make them to be... they are not about others creating an experience for you..

I hope to see everyone next year at the national a little closer to my home base... I can't wait... and bring on the Big Gig...

Redeeming Points

The best part of the rally was leaving Friday morning. I combined the Bighorns, Chief Joseph and Beartooth passes (AWESOME) in one magnficent ride before pulling into Red Lodge, Montana where there was a regional Harley rally just starting with over 18,000 registrants! Imagine that small hog get together against the measly 5-6K Beemers that showed up in Gillette. Knock them if you will, but they know how to party!

All in all, happy I went. Did one 600 mile day and NEVER LEFT MONTANA! Devil's Tower is worth the ride in itself (for me at least), and the ride back through the Beartooth was memorable. 1700 miles in 4 days and the wife was not too grouchy when I got back!

After reading this I am glad I couldn't make it this year...but then, beauty is in the eyes of the BMW holder.

My son, his wife, and I hope to go to Tennessee next year for our first rally on a 2008 1200GS and, hopefully if it arrives, a 2009 800GS. My wife will have to get a better attitude if she is invited. She is concerned about burning fossil fuels.

Not sure if we will tent or not. I like motels myself, having been in the Army for 22 years of that already.

I like the TN location and haven't been in that exact part of the country before, close it however.

I am hoping for some good and safe riding and fried catfish, okra, and grits. Having lived in Arkansas and born and raised in Iowa, I miss those foods living here in Wisconsin.

Peace...

BTW...having lived in Montana and driving there a couple of times from Iowa, Gillette was a stop for gas in the midst of not much else. But, perhaps it has changed a great deal since my last trip through.

Rally:

As many of you already know I am stuck over here in Iraq. I was unable to attend the rally in WY. I understand it might not have been all sunshine and rainbows. But let me say this one thing. Before you think or feel that it was so "terrible" please take just a moment to remember where you are. I am surrounded by an entire generation of people that have no concept of understanding what it is to have the freedom "We" take for granted every facit of our daily lives. We as Americans can gripe, bitch and complain about almost everything, and many of us do just that. I would just ask that you temper your emotions for just a moment and enjoy the ride. or don't.

Kelly

ps. See you all in TN.

Back