• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Had a great time, except...

If there was nothing to complain about...

...there would be a certain group that would say:

"This is just horrible, we have absolutely NOTHING to complain about! Life sucks."

But I was there that day - you were not. A represenative from the service desk made a cursury examination of my bike, pronounced that I "must have a short in the headlight bucket," and made the comment about "come back Monday" before walking away.

... ... snipped ... ...

... Sturgis really screwed me over with their ambivilence.

Greenwald -
Glad you made it back to Wisconsin okay. I made it home in one day - 960 miles. Whew! What a blast! :D

If you were at Sturgis BMW on Friday, you might have seen Brian there. He had gotten a flat (rear tire) on the campgrounds, and was horrified when he realized how bad his brakes looked. He decided to buy a set of brakes before he put the new tire on, but there were none at the rally - so he called Sturgis BMW and they offered to hold a set for him.

Since his bike was stripped down at that point, he took my GS back to Sturgis BMW and picked up what he needed. He said the people at Sturgis BMW were great.

But last year, when the MOA Rally was in WI, I was advised not to schedule any routine service (tires, oil, inspections, etc.) during the rally week, as service time was being dedicated to bikers going to, attending or leaving the Rally.

Last year in Wisconsin, we were very VERY fortunate to have the support of three exceptional dealers, all within less than 90 miles of the rally site. It is not fair to compare one event to the other.

Your bike was running fine - right?
And you COULD have stopped before dark - right?
And this was an after-market item that failed - right?

I am only guessing that Sturgis BMW might have decided that your issue was not a show stopper for you. (Flashlights? How imaginative! I would have looked for a hotel before dusk.)

The bottom line --- the experience you had and the way you handled it was of your own making.

Glad you are going to the 09 rally. I think Vance is going to show all of us a GREAT time in the hills of Tennessee.

Sue - just for clarification.

I duct-taped flashlights under the oil cooler NOT to operate after dark, but for DAYTIME visibility to other motorists, which is required by law in most states.

I risked being cited if I didn't resort to that, and even with them, they were a sad substitute for forward illumination and I was nearly run into head-on by motorists passing other traffic (mid-day!) on two-way roads, unaware of my presence in the on-coming lane. This happened once in SD and once in MN.

I'm glad Brian had a 'good' experience at Sturgis BMW, but mine was equally 'bad.'

You were not there when I needed my assistance, nor I when Brian got his issues quickly resolved. And though ultimately, my problem was with an aftermarket add-on, that was not known at the time, and the effort Sturgis BMW put into even a amateur diagnosis was pathetic.

While BMW NA has stayed in contact with me over this issue, Sturgis hasn't even patronized me with a token apology.

"A mile in my shoes" (actually, over a 1,000 miles without lights, to be more precise) might have you looking at this differently.

Enjoy The Day.

Last edited:
Sue - just for clarification.

I duct-taped flashlights under the oil cooler NOT to operate after dark, but for DAYTIME visibility to other motorists, which is required by law.

I risked being cited if I didn't resort to that, and even with them, they were a sad substitute for forward illumination and I was nearly run into head-on by motorists passing other traffic (mid-day!) on two-way roads, unaware of my presence in the on-coming lane. This happened once in SD and once in MN.

I'm glad Brian had a 'good' experience at Sturgis BMW, but mine was equally 'bad.'

You were not there when I needed my assistance, nor I when Brian got his issues quickly resolved. And though ultimately, my problem was with an aftermarket add-on, that was not known at the time, and the effort Sturgis BMW put into even a amateur diagnosis was pathetic.

While BMW NA has stayed in contact with me over this issue, Sturgis hasn't even patronized me with a token apology.

"A mile in my shoes" (actually, over a 1,000 miles without lights, to be more precise) might have you looking at this differently.

Enjoy The Day.

Greenwald; was it BOTH front and back lights? My worst nightmare..Glad you made it home safe!

Probably not. :laugh

There is no headlight law in South Dakota. And - frankly, if you would have been stopped for riding without a headlight in Minnesota or Wisconsin and explained the situation to any LEO, I would be surprised if you would have been cited. I find most LEOs are pretty understanding and reasonable. (cough cough ... especially when you explain that you are part of the brotherhood. NOT that you would do that....)

And finally, it's all about attitude. My attitude. I truly love the adventure and find that laughing through the adversities makes the trip a lot more fun and certainly a lot more memorable.

It is what it is. This is not a criticism of you but a reflection on how I deal with challenges and the fact it is different than your style.

By the way, the first love of my life -- (8th grade) -- was Tom Greenwald of Waukesha. :heart Any relation?

Probably not. :laugh

There is no headlight law in South Dakota. And - frankly, if you would have been stopped for riding without a headlight in Minnesota or Wisconsin and explained the situation to any LEO, I would be surprised if you would have been cited. I find most LEOs are pretty understanding and reasonable. (cough cough ... especially when you explain that you are part of the brotherhood. NOT that you would do that....)

And finally, it's all about attitude. My attitude. I truly love the adventure and find that laughing through the adversities makes the trip a lot more fun and certainly a lot more memorable.

It is what it is. This is not a criticism of you but a reflection on how I deal with challenges and the fact it is different than your style.

By the way, the first love of my life -- (8th grade) -- was Tom Greenwald of Waukesha. :heart Any relation?

I know MOST of the 300+ WI State Troopers and there are more than a handful that follow the letter of the law.....particularly when it comes to the 'brotherhood.'

I was sufficiently concerned, especially in the western portion of the state.

Secondly, after 30+ years on the Dive Rescue Team , the last 10 as it's leader, and 32 1/2 in law enforcement, I'm no stranger to adversity........but I hardly embrace it as the memorable moments of a trip. Friends, scenery, wildlife encounters, lunch stops and such "are the stuff my dreams are made of."

Lastly, alas, no....Tom is no relation. You're secret is safe with me!

Last edited:
Greenwald; was it BOTH front and back lights? My worst nightmare..Glad you made it home safe!

Thanks Red.

No - 'just' power to all front lights were out - no low beams, no high beams, no PIAA's. Luckily, I still had tail and brake lights.

Last edited:
Is This An Adventure?

.....I'm no stranger to adversity........but I hardly embrace it as the memorable moments of a trip.

I had to remind my wife of this truism last July while near Destruction Bay, YT. She was on her first long trip on her own bike; temperature 40 degrees; hard rain; winds gusting to 35 MPH; fun meter reading zero.... "Remember, if it doesn't suck it isn't an adventure."

I was in my lab, working. I'd have traded the "light show", sun, wind and "150 mile ride" to the "Black Hills" in a flash... after all, 150 miles really isn't that far on the LT... or HD.

My take on Gillette and the 2008 Rally

I live nearby; about 2 1/2 hours on nice two lane highways, which I prefer over interstate any day. I did not expect a lot of the Gillette area having been there many times- I was right. Not much to do around town and the locals and local businesses didn't have much of a role in the event. I did eat at Pokey's BBQ and it was quite enjoyable. I wish Gillette had more places to eat away from the Rally because I too thought the Rally vendors left a lot to be desired. The guy with the big barbecue, from Arizona I think, made some good chicken, but it was a loooong wait and wait and wait. I think he was having trouble with the thin air or something.

As for riding, Gillette sucks. It's flat, straight, usually hot and dry (unless a storm is going through). My bikes were both kaput and I had no choice but taking my car. I'm glad I did because we passed through high wind, rain, and 1/2" hail on the way down. I agree Cody or Sheridan would have been much better locations for riding and stuff to see and do. Gillette has proximity to almost nothing, and two hours to nearby scenic places is a long way.

I felt the number of vendors was a bit low for a "national" event, but i realize it's the middle of nowhere and we're talking about 5000 patrons to try to sell to? They cant stay open all night. There were some quality companies and people there with decent deals on some stuff. If you've got a BMW (or perhaps a Harley) you know they cost too much, accessories are even higher, and service comes at a steep premium. If you don't agree you're in la la land, or you make way more money than I do.

As for the volunteers, organizers, BMWOA people, and all the others involved in putting it together I think they did a great job. Their hands were somewhat tied by the location (Gillette) and the venue (CamPlax). I am sure they all worked very hard, put in many, many hours, and gave it their all. They are to be congratulated for all the effort.

Overall the event was a dud.

One more observation that BMWOA should take note of. I was one of the guys there getting grey hair- I saw a real lack of youth, young riders, and young passengers. There were some youth event and youth activities, but BMWOA is going to fade away if more younger riders aren't brought into the fold to learn the joys of riding, owning, working on, and sharing BMW motorcycles. There were a lot of old guys there, not many young ones.

I couldn't agree less- and I'm sorry your first post was flavored with disappointment. Maybe it's because you didn't have as far to go as others did... We were just happy to be there. I can agree about the food vendors- but we still ate.
deadhorsebeat_2.gif

One more observation that BMWOA should take note of. I was one of the guys there getting grey hair- I saw a real lack of youth, young riders, and young passengers. There were some youth event and youth activities, but BMWOA is going to fade away if more younger riders aren't brought into the fold to learn the joys of riding, owning, working on, and sharing BMW motorcycles. There were a lot of old guys there, not many young ones.
My GF and I were there... Very early thirties. Too old for camp GEARS and too young for the AARP. Had a great time. First rally...
Honestly most "young people" either don't get the allure of BMW Motorcycles (something I attempt to impact) or can't afford BMW motorcycles.
IMG_0852.jpg

I had one BIG problem with this year's rally.

HUGE.

And that is, I couldn't go. While you were out having a blast (or, not having a blast) I was sitting behind a desk staring out the window and stealing glances at the site whenever folks were kind enough to post near-realtime pics :)

I couldn't agree less- and I'm sorry your first post was flavored with disappointment. Maybe it's because you didn't have as far to go as others did... We were just happy to be there. I can agree about the food vendors- but we still ate.
deadhorsebeat_2.gif

My GF and I were there... Very early thirties. Too old for camp GEARS and too young for the AARP. Had a great time. First rally...
Honestly most "young people" either don't get the allure of BMW Motorcycles (something I attempt to impact) or can't afford BMW motorcycles.
IMG_0852.jpg

I have a picture or two of y'all somewhere. :wave

I had one BIG problem with this year's rally.

HUGE.

And that is, I couldn't go. While you were out having a blast (or, not having a blast) I was sitting behind a desk staring out the window and stealing glances at the site whenever folks were kind enough to post near-realtime pics :)

Tennessee? :ear

I live nearby; about 2 1/2 hours on nice two lane highways, which I prefer over interstate any day. I did not expect a lot of the Gillette area having been there many times- I was right. Not much to do around town and the locals and local businesses didn't have much of a role in the event. I did eat at Pokey's BBQ and it was quite enjoyable. I wish Gillette had more places to eat away from the Rally because I too thought the Rally vendors left a lot to be desired. The guy with the big barbecue, from Arizona I think, made some good chicken, but it was a loooong wait and wait and wait. I think he was having trouble with the thin air or something.

As for riding, Gillette sucks. It's flat, straight, usually hot and dry (unless a storm is going through). My bikes were both kaput and I had no choice but taking my car. I'm glad I did because we passed through high wind, rain, and 1/2" hail on the way down. I agree Cody or Sheridan would have been much better locations for riding and stuff to see and do. Gillette has proximity to almost nothing, and two hours to nearby scenic places is a long way.

I felt the number of vendors was a bit low for a "national" event, but i realize it's the middle of nowhere and we're talking about 5000 patrons to try to sell to? They cant stay open all night. There were some quality companies and people there with decent deals on some stuff. If you've got a BMW (or perhaps a Harley) you know they cost too much, accessories are even higher, and service comes at a steep premium. If you don't agree you're in la la land, or you make way more money than I do.

As for the volunteers, organizers, BMWOA people, and all the others involved in putting it together I think they did a great job. Their hands were somewhat tied by the location (Gillette) and the venue (CamPlax). I am sure they all worked very hard, put in many, many hours, and gave it their all. They are to be congratulated for all the effort.

It's interesting to note that this thread was entitled: "Had A Great Time, Except....."

That invited the negative or highly critical comments that many of the posts reflect. Yet the thread's original author, while being disappointed at one place where they ate, essentially makes positive statements about his experience at Gillette. Glad he enjoyed himself.

I tend to agree with your disection of Gillette (though calling it "a dud" is a bit harsh), and also that the volunteers are to be held immune from what is perceived as 'wrong' with this rally. They represent what is best about the MOA and always will.

Like you, I traveled to Gillette despite some misgivings and 'gave it a chance.' But location hobbled it from the very beginning, and no amount of planning or cheerleading ended up attracting enough vendors, food service or patrons to give it the 'bragging rights' that Vermont or West Bend bask in. I realize that a rally is not all about numbers (attendance, revenue, etc.), but if you're going to employ the over-used mantra of "It's not the destination, it's the Journey," you don't need a rally....just a map.

Keep in mind that you could run the BMW roundel up a flagpole in the middle of a junkyard near Three Mile Island and get a predictable number of hardcore members to show up, party away significant portions of their livers, and declare the 'rally' a success.

I don't know whether or not to just shake my head at these guys when they show up or admire such dedication.

But I have learned that they are an essential part of the MOA. A sort of 'veteran's corps' that will keep the torch burning thru lean years, poor rally sites and aging demographics. I salute them.

I also agree that 'youth' needs to be injected into the body of our club if it is to remain healthy. Cracking the 40,000+ membership level this year was triumphant, but younger blood is needed to sustain growth.

In that vein (no pun intended), perhaps future rallies could offer mounds of dirt nearby, sculpted to entertain the GS crowd; a band on at least one night that plays music recognized by a younger generation; a charity bike wash, staffed by ladies that would earn the scrutiny of my SO; seminars tailored to the needs of young riders, etc.

The original author of "Had A Great Time, Except...." seemed to have had a good time at Gillette, and it's unfortunate that his thread was seized by those of us who seek to 'improve the breed' by first pointing out what needs correcting, and then (hopefully) offering constructive suggestions.

I'm anxious for Johnson City - I see great potential in it's location. But what I know will automatically be present are the two cornerstones of the MOA:

1) The volunteers that will make it run smoothly, and...

2) That 'Veteran Corps' that would show up, no matter where, no matter what, and no matter why any of us find fault with a rally site.

Gotta admire those guys!

Last edited:
"Weirdest thing, Airhead Central dead after midnight.

Ron Rumohr
R1100GSA"

That was because we had all volunteered to help with , security, registration and the air store. Then we drank and danced (at least I did) until we passed out and got up around 6 a.m. to start the whole cycle over again.
I don't get the complaints at all. The only thing I'd like to see is product vendors open later than six p.m. I was working until six p.m. most days.
Shade? I had a small tree over my tent in WY, None in WI. I rode WI hwy 33 to west bend, great road.
I road Beartooth and 296 to Gillette. Even better roads. Karol said 13 food vendors and I believe her, I could count 10 sitting here. :type
North forty had the best breakfast. Went to a Chinese buffet in town and had a fantastic lunch one day. Had to go to town for Air Central supplies anyway.
NRPS Was Great!!!
The Beer selection was great, OLD PORTER 90!:drink
Maybe closing was a little long but hey some of it was well deserved congratulations and recognition. For me Rally's are about:
1. A great excuse to ride somewhere I may not have gone otherwise.
2. A chance to make new friends and hang out with old ones.
3. Volunteering to help make the rally successful. This a volunteer organization after all.
4. Having Fun. Drinking a little beer, eating some vendor food (who knows what it will be? That's part of the adventure), maybe dancing to a great band, telling stories and /or lies. Helping some guy fix his European light switch:doh

Can't wait to see what TN will be like!

As always the first beer is on me.
Airhead R60/6

Thanks, again

Thanks again for seeing great friends.
Thanks for the opportunity to meet new ones.
Thank you for the wonderful roads and unimaginable landscapes of the USA.
Thanks to Deb and Karol, again.
Thanks to all the Ambassadors.
Thanks to Vince and Mandy.
Thanks to all the volunteers.
Thanks, trully, for the great country you all represent.
Thanks for all my friends and people from Canada.

We have had some Rallies better than others in Mexico.
West Bend was my first, and Gillette my second.
If you ask me about the 2008 Gillette Rally itself, it was a nice event, but I think West Bend was better.
Both were great organized, but I liked more the one of last year.
May be it's true : "never as good as the first time".

Last edited:
Back