• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tank bag-mounted to fuel cap assembly

ultracyclist

I am debating about changing tank bags and utilizing the above install.
My existing Marsee slides around and I am forever adjusting straps.

Do you have a tank bag like the above? What brand/type?
How do you like it?

I am debating about changing tank bags and utilizing the above install.
My existing Marsee slides around and I am forever adjusting straps.

Do you have a tank bag like the above? What brand/type?
How do you like it?

Twisted Throttle sells these products, which are manufactured by SW-Motech:

LINK

They are based around a "quick-lock" ring which bolts directly in to your gas cap filler ring:

5670-500x600.jpg

I had it on my GS for about a year - replaced the BMW Stock bag with it. I like the system because it is compatible with a number of different sized bags and even other accessories like camera mounts. You can have one small bag for around town or day trips and a big one for cross-country trips, but using the same mount. The mount is secure yet easy to operate when you need to get the tankbag off at a gas station or at the end of the day. Overall, good gear :thumb

I have the Marsee Corona bag. twist lock with magnets. Great bag.
It can on a "lock-to-lock" turn the horn button is touched.

http://marseeproducts.homestead.com/bags/corona/

Only downside is the clear "plastic" lid for the map, I realized that during a "get-off" if it breaks, it could result in being "stabbed" by the shard of it.

I am putting some 3M clear cover on it to "help".

Big Mak has a mount like you describe. Different size bags with the same mount setup. This bag is one of the smaller ones.

102542273_sRMtq-L.jpg

I have the Marsee Corona 11 ltr. Darn fine bag. Very neat. No straps flapping around, etc... And like all Marsee products its built very well. It doesn't move at all even in the heaviest of winds and the worst of roads. Easy to remove and reinstall for refueling. I like the pockets for pens, etc... And the rain cover works. Marsee also makes the same set-up with a 20 ltr bag. Here's a pic of the 11 ltr from ascycles.com:

RMCB-3301.jpg

I've had a love/hate relationship with every tank bag I've owned. So, here are my negatives:
  • First, the map holder is small, and the opening of the map holder is smaller than the map holding pocket itself. Not the best design, IMHO. But its also not that big a deal.
  • Secondly, the magnets are a pain. They're powerful and the ones inside the bag will fly out and attach themselves to the other magnets inside the bag unless you're very careful in removing or re-installing it. For my first few fill-ups I took the time to put every little magnet back in its little slot and carefully reinstall the bag hoping I didn't hear that telltale WHACK of a magnet attaching to another magnet. After a while I just chose to ignore it because, in my opinion, the magnets are a redundancy. You twist the bag onto its twist lock base without the magnets and it'll stay put just because of the twist mechanism. That, and the magnets don't prevent twisting in any event (they prevent pulling it apart vertically), and that's the only way its coming off short of breaking the twisting hardware. And the only way you're going to break the hardware is if you lay the bike down at speed (at which point the bag staying on the bike is the least of your concerns). So I've concluded the magnets are unnecessary. I've used mine for well over 20,000 miles without the magnets in the bag portion of the twist lock and its never budged in any circumstance unless I untwist it.
I'd like to get the 20 ltr for long trips. But I don't want to buy the hardware that attaches to the fuel tank again. Since that hardware is identical for both bags, I'd like to see Marsee sell the bags with and without the fuel tank hardware so those that buy one can more easily swap them out if the need arises.

I have the Marsee Corona bag. twist lock with magnets. Great bag.
It can on a "lock-to-lock" turn the horn button is touched.

http://marseeproducts.homestead.com/bags/corona/

Only downside is the clear "plastic" lid for the map, I realized that during a "get-off" if it breaks, it could result in being "stabbed" by the shard of it.

I am putting some 3M clear cover on it to "help".
I don't like those clear plastic lids, either. Dumb design, IMHO. But you don't have to get the clear lid Corona bags. Like the pic I posted above, they do come with more standard zip tops with map holder.

Last edited:
Back