• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need recommendation on camp gound for 4 day trip to NC/TN/WV/GA

gsinill

Hi,

I am planning to go for a 4 day camping trip somewhere around the Great Smokie Mountains National Park.
We are going to tow the bikes down and set up a base camp to do 3 individual day trips. One of them should (of course) include the Dragon, one heading NE to WV and the last one down to GA.
We could stay in GSMN park but think this might be a little too far south so we are looking for something a little further north; ideally another state or national park. Does anyone have a recommendation for this area?

Also, any suggestions for the day trips would be appreciated too ;-)

Thanks in advance
Guenther

If you really want to do the Dragon check the web sites for best times, but it can get crowded and tends to have lots of cops patroling it these days, esp. in high summer. There are a ton of equally good roads in the area with lots less traffic....I'd look at maps of the area and I know you will find plenty.

RM

Kickstand Lodge

I would Highly recommend the Kickstand Lodge 2097 NC Hwy 28 Stecoah, NC 28771
http://kickstandlodge.com.

I just stayed there and it is really nice camping along a stream, shade trees, tables and excellent service. Call Mo

Wiregate:thumb

Thank you all for your recommendations.
Are there any good camp grounds north of Great Smokie Mountains National Park?
If we stay to the south (like suggested in your recommendations) we might get a little too far away from the WV area.

Thanks,
Guenther

+1 on the blue ridge cycle camp, state parks check out interstate breaks, rolled in there in the dark with fog and rain, set up by headlights and flashlights, woke up to clear skies and the most unbelievable view 20 ft from the tent.

Suches and a GS

I have heard a lot of good things about camp grounds at and around 'Maggie Valley', just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
There is even a motorcycle museum nearby.

Since your riding a GS, and if you have the time, I can suggest that you head south to ride the dirt forest service roads in the Chatahoochee National Forest around Suches, Georgia.
They are vast and wild.
'Two Wheels Only' is a decent motorcycle campground in Suches.
They have decent food and Dave's BBQ is around the corner; open on weekends.

R.Falcon
07 KGT
97 Sportster

Back