• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Current R26 Valuation?

flash412

Loose Cannon
Does anybody know of an R26 that has changed hands within the past year, give or take? If so, what sort of shape was it in and what was the selling price?

A friend of mine found a "pretty nice R26" in a barn and because I used to own one, asked me what it is worth. Heck, I traded off my R26 for an Amphicar more than two and a half decades ago.

I told him his timing probably sucks due to the National and it would likely be a week or more before I reply to him.

TIA.

"A pretty nice R26" found in a barn? Beware!

When you have a seller saying that, you are lucky if it has two wheels and an engine. Sellers will inflate condition beyond all recognition.

I have seen sellers offering "restored to original condition" BMW motorcycles that, at least, did have two wheels and an engine, but not a whole lot more.

Anyway, here is what NADA says about your R26:

http://tinyurl.com/5rhsar

It is a rare "barn find" that makes it up to "fair" condition. Usually it is a wreck.

I would second that "barn find" warning. I was given a barn stored R69S. It seems that the barn's roof had disappeared years before. It took a 10 ton press to free up the pistons so that the engine could be disassembled (the 1 ton press actually bent!). Part of the gas tank was rusted through as was other sheet metal and rims.

After I began restoring I couldn't stop myself, so I wound up putting more into it than if I bought one restored. But hey, the bike was "free"!

In my opinion, if it needs a total restoration it's not worth much more than a few hundred dollars at most.

Restoration complete

I had a 1954 R25 restored by a local dealer. Did a wonderful job and the final price was the same as the big name restoration guy down south. Currently I am considering selling it asking 30% less than the cost of the restoration. Had no luck trying having someone put a value on it. Dealers avoid them like the plague on a trade. Like everything the value is no greater then what someone will pay you for it. So beware of the restoration cost and later value.
Tom Running MOA # 51141

So beware of the restoration cost and later value.
Tom Running MOA # 51141

So true.

It is very expensive to buy a beater and then restore it. Even if you do the work yourself the cost of parts could drive you to bankruptcy. As a general rule, it is much less expensive to buy a good, original bike in the first place.

If you buy a wreck and restore it yourself or have a pro restore it, it is unlikely you will recoup your costs when you sell it, much less make a "profit."

Of course, if what you pay to get your dream bike is of little consequence and you intend to sell it eventually at a loss or donate to a nonprofit museum for a tax break, the above comments are not relevant.

Last edited:
Vintage donations

Jeff, interesting comments as I have sent an e Mail (no reply so far) to the MOA foundation to see about the possibility of a Charitable donation as the raffle bike for next years National Rally. I also contacted my accountant to see about tax advantages. I understand Markel Insurance picked up some of the cost of this years bike, which a friend of mine won. Tom Running

Back