• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cheap Garmin Mount and Driving Lights

jimvonbaden

Kool Aid Dispenser!
Recently I purchased a very nice 1994 R1100RS, and though I have not had an easy time of it, I have grown to really like this bike.

To make it even better, I decided to mount a GPS and Driving Lights on it. As per my nature, I didn't feel like paying the ridiculous sums demanded for anything to do with a BMW so I made them myself.

First is a Mount for my "used" Garmin StreetPilot. I made it with $6 worth of parts and a couple hours time.

Parts:

2-4" "L" Brackets

2-2" "L" Brackets

4-small bolts with nuts and washers

1-piece of plexi I had lying around.

I cut one end off the "L" bracket down to 5/8" and drilled a 25/64" hole as near as possible to the bend in the bracket. I did this to both and painted them black. Don't do what I did and NOT prep the brackets. They don't hold paint well. Then I bolted them to the 2" brackets and then to the plexi plate I cut to size.

I screwed the base mount for the GPS to the plexi through holes drilled to match the mounting plate and used longer screws.

Result, looks pretty good, and works well, though I think I will add two more 4" "L" brackets in place of the 2" brackets and just trim them down.

garmin%20mount%20front%20empty.jpg

GPS Installed.

garmin%20mount%20front.jpg

Note the 12 Volt plug in the dash and the red lighted switch for powering the Driving Lights. I added them there to keep them out of the weather, and because my bike doesn't have a RID. There is room behind the panel to move them over to the next section if you do have a RID.

GPS from the rear.

garmin%20mount%20lt.jpg

The next set of pictures is of the driving lights I installed. I got the idea from Doug (DougM) on the new R1100RS board.

I went to Pep Boys and got a set of off brand 55 watt driving lights in the right shape and size for $19.99. With a few basic hand tools, some supplies I already had and about 2 hours work I had them installed. I think they look great, and were less than $30 in parts to do.

The first picture is how I determined the placement. I taped them on with clear packing tape and just looked for aesthetics. Then marked the hole for drilling.

light%20tape.jpg

I checked for clearance inside the fairing and drilled the first two holes! Yikes that was scary! I bolted the bracket up and checked for fit. The place I installed it is very flat and makes a great mounting area.

left%20mount%20plate.jpg

I used a piece of flat place as a backing plate. I mounted it with holes drilled in two sizes. One for the bolt, and the other for a screw. This makes adjusting easier. The screw used the mounting plate to grip, while the bolt has a nut and lock washers.

Also not the edges of the plate were slightly turned up to prevent digging into the fairing.

I used white shrink wrap to cover the wires and protect them because it blended into the body. But you could use black or any other color if you wish.

left%20mount%20back%20plate.jpg

A shot of it mounted close up.

left%20mounted%20front.jpg

Three shots; one off, one with the headlight only, and last with the headlight and the driving lights.

lights%20all%20off.jpg
lights%20head%20on.jpg
lights%20all%20on.jpg

I like the way they look, and will tell you how they work after it gets dark here!

A picture of the box so you can see they really were cheap lights.

You know what they say about BMW riders... :lol:

Jim :brow

Very cool. I am curious if you considered mounting the lights to the fork instead?

I am thinking about it, the idea being less intrusion into the fairing and the fact that the light will point the way I am headed.

think 3 inch hose clamps and a dremel tool, Brad. I imagine you can mount just about any driving light that way to the forks. I was lucky enough to re use the motolights I already had. the dealer said take them off before I traded it. You an find the shrink tubing in a size that will cover the clamp, and make the install a bit neater. I like the mount Jim and the lights came out well too. Let me know how the beam ends up hitting the road.

BradfordBenn said:
Very cool. I am curious if you considered mounting the lights to the fork instead?

I am thinking about it, the idea being less intrusion into the fairing and the fact that the light will point the way I am headed.

The holes in the fairing were not really an issue since that whole area is open to the elements anyhow. I do admit being a bit concerned about actually making holes in a perfectly good fairing. But using the tape to hold them on convinced me it would look good. Not to mention I used the mounts that came with the lights (free!)

I thought about fork mounting, and it was my initial preference, but the mounting kits were too expensive and to coble one up would be a bit too ugly for me. I would also have had to use unidirectional round lights as well, and finding a pair cheap that were reasonably small and didn't look to bad was near impossible. I checked everywhere.

The beam throws a bit angled, but covers a lot of area. I'll have to wait until I have a chance to drive a curvy road at night to be sure how well they work, but one function works. I can now be SEEN by oncomming traffic easier!:clap

Jim:brow

jim - aesthetically very pleasing, it looks amazing. you do great work, and have a good eye.

dont get too confident about actually being visible to motorists though... ;)

username said:
jim - aesthetically very pleasing, it looks amazing. you do great work, and have a good eye.

dont get too confident about actually being visible to motorists though... ;)

Thanks for the compliment!

No worries about my being seen. If anything it just makes me more of a rolling target!:cry

Jim:brow

Back