• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ear Plugs - Discuss.

Can't speak for other places, but earplugs have been legal in California since 2004. Prior to that only custom molded earplug were legal. The current law allows:

d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of
earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate
injurious noise levels.​

// marc

I wear plugs or the foamies on my FSR1 earphones connected to my iPod. One way or the other if the ride is going to last more than say, 90 minutes, gotta have plugs of some kind. With music or without it's a kindness to your ears I don't think one should go without.

I used to wear the orange ear plugs but after several hours, my ears would just hurt. Decided to have some ear plugs made at the Gillette rally by BigEar. These are molded plugs that I can use sleeping as well to block out snoring. They worked great at the rally and on the ride home. Had some noisy neighbors. Good luck with your choice.

JL

Custom Plugs

I finally purchased some custom ear plugs at Gillette. They are worth every dollar paid. :ear

I wear them on long rides and mowing the yard. :ear

I had already suffered hearing loss (ringing) from once renting a very loud cycle. When I first put in the plugs all I could hear was the ringing in my ears from my previous hearing damage. After months I don't hear much anymore with the plugs in. Mowing is especially much more pleasurable. :ear

Mack's Pillow Soft Earplugs

I found these at a pharmacy, they are a silicone waxy kind of blob. They do not enter the ear canal (well maybe a tiny bit) they are sort of a "tire patch" that covers the ear opening. "Swim, sleep study, shower" etc.

no issues with pressure in the ear canal.

macsearplugs.com

Worlds Finest Natural ear plugs
Rated NRR 34, and blended from the purest beeswax, cotton and lanolin

super pliable like clay or playdo

I work around printing presses and have been using these for over 2 years
they work great and don't hurt your ears after long hours of wear

they block out the wind noise on the LT just great !

here is the site

http://www.earplugsonline.com/index.html

don't work for them just a fan

Ridesalot

After trying everything from Etymotics to various industrial devices, I just got back from a test ride using these. In a word, they are outstanding. At 70 mph, with a brisk crosswind (a route I've ridden numerous times with the other devices and none at all), the noise reduction is dramatic. The noise reduction seems linear across all frequencies and volume levels. I don't think you could hear, say, a siren as well as before, but it may be loud enough in any event. Engine and tire noise from nearby cars is substantially reduced, degrading audible signals of their presence. Of course, at speed, without the plugs, wind noise did a pretty good job of that as well.

There are no precise insertion procedures -- just knead it a bit, stick it in your ear, flatten it out and away you go.

The web site says they are "reusable for years" although neither the site nor the packaging prescribes any sort of maintenance or cleaning. I intend to inquire, but in the meantime, I briefly submerged them in hydrogen peroxide after the ride to ward off potential ear infection. Other recommendations, anyone?

I dont wear them. I tried wearing them once, the orange foam type that I use for other things. I dont like them. I don't like the sound I end up with, a low frequency thrum. THAT actually bothers my ears more than the wind noise (full face HJC helmet) which I don't find objectionable.

It's science, not "gut feel" that counts.

Just as many folks cannot adequately describe headlight performance, the fact remains your ears are better protected with the orange earplugs than they are without. Makes not a whit of difference whether you like the sound, it's the level that counts. The new sound is not hurting your ears at all.

Earplugs

If you like to plug in, Westone Laboratories has their UM1 True-Fit Single-Driver Earphones that dampen the back ground noise and deliver exceptional clarity. I love the pair I have! Look them up on the internet www.westone.com.

After trying everything from Etymotics to various industrial devices, I just got back from a test ride using these. In a word, they are outstanding. At 70 mph, with a brisk crosswind (a route I've ridden numerous times with the other devices and none at all), the noise reduction is dramatic. The noise reduction seems linear across all frequencies and volume levels. I don't think you could hear, say, a siren as well as before, but it may be loud enough in any event. Engine and tire noise from nearby cars is substantially reduced, degrading audible signals of their presence. Of course, at speed, without the plugs, wind noise did a pretty good job of that as well.

There are no precise insertion procedures -- just knead it a bit, stick it in your ear, flatten it out and away you go.

The web site says they are "reusable for years" although neither the site nor the packaging prescribes any sort of maintenance or cleaning. I intend to inquire, but in the meantime, I briefly submerged them in hydrogen peroxide after the ride to ward off potential ear infection. Other recommendations, anyone?

Here's the reply to my inquiry about maintenance that I received from Ear Plugs Online:

"This magnificent ear plug already comes completely protected with a 'natural protectant' that makes it "anti bacterial" and "anti fungal".

"The ear plug really requires No maintenance. Just use it over and over and when you notice after a time that it begins to lose its sealing ability, then discard it and insert a new pair.

"My own 6-pair pack wearing daily lasts about one year.

"Hydrogen peroxide is not a good idea because it will leech out the Lanolin Oil that we put in the ear plug to keep the ear plug slightly tacky so that it stays securely in the ear canal."

Good stuff.

quiet helmet

I bought an HJC fliptop Sy-max and it was extremely noisy. I cut out pieces of styrofoam to the shape of the openings for the audio system and velcroed them in place. Then I velcroed the earpads to the styrofoam. The earpads fit snugly against my ears and I don't need plugs with that helmet. Makes you wonder why the helmet makers can't quiet the helmets down some...

I bought an HJC fliptop Sy-max and it was extremely noisy. I cut out pieces of styrofoam to the shape of the openings for the audio system and velcroed them in place. Then I velcroed the earpads to the styrofoam. The earpads fit snugly against my ears and I don't need plugs with that helmet. Makes you wonder why the helmet makers can't quiet the helmets down some...
Some have. Shuberth on the C2 series made a foam ring that surrounds your ear, sealing it off from the rest of the helmet. Problem with helmets is not everyone's head/ears are the same shape. What works for you is very unlikely to work for a pumpkin head like me.

As the owner of noise induced hearing loss I can say -get some in your ears. Wear them! EVERYTIME! you mow,cut ,ride and anything else that has some decibels involved. Go to Wally world and find the eye-drops and you will be next to the ear plugs and there are a bunch of different ones to choose. They are cheaper than the assortments you will find in bike catalogs and include many styles.There are also other kinds in the same store in sporting goods and maybe tools. Try them all and use the ones that work for you. I use the light purple but my Wife likes another one. I have them spread all over tank bags and so on. There was an informative article in an old ON that a professional hearing guy wrote and he said the the air pressure differential created by the airflow across the ear opening(even with a helmet on!) can cause hearing loss. It is a fact that hearing aids are going to be the gold mine of the future. For every loud Harley, and chain saw, mower, string trimmer and so on just write up an order now, not to mention all these cranked up audio devices! Find an ex- soldier without the problem and report back to me! Wear the plugs!!! and maybe you will hear your grandchildren talk to you.:whistle :whistle :whistle

Beneficial Products Earplugs

After wearing earplugs for the first time this week, I would never ride without them. I felt much less fatigued and enjoyed the ride all the more with the ear plugs. I was able to hear car horns and an ambulance siren without a problem. I have trouble with the foam type plugs, but not with these; definitely recommend them.

Great News!

After wearing earplugs for the first time this week, I would never ride without them. I felt much less fatigued and enjoyed the ride all the more with the ear plugs. I was able to hear car horns and an ambulance siren without a problem. I have trouble with the foam type plugs, but not with these; definitely recommend them.

Congrats, Deadalus. Ditto for me.

Actually, I have found that anything that improves my comfort helps me focus on the ride and makes it more enjoyable. :brad

I wear Hearos. I like them a lot. I would like to buy a large quantity but not able to find a source for a good price. Does anyone know where one can buy a large quantity of the Hearos ear plugs?

Thanks in advance.

I wear Hearos. I like them a lot. I would like to buy a large quantity but not able to find a source for a good price. Does anyone know where one can buy a large quantity of the Hearos ear plugs?

Thanks in advance.

earplugstore.com for sure. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/ Best selection anywhere and excellent service. They ship out of Oklahoma so you'll get them in a day.

My favorite has been the Moldex style called "Spark Plugs" and for a slightly softer feel try Howard lights.

earplugstore.com for sure. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/ Best selection anywhere and excellent service. They ship out of Oklahoma so you'll get them in a day.

My favorite has been the Moldex style called "Spark Plugs" and for a slightly softer feel try Howard lights.

I have ordered from them before. They do not have a large quantity on the plugs I like. I will try calling them and see what they tell me. Thanks.

Worlds Finest Natural ear plugs
Rated NRR 34, and blended from the purest beeswax, cotton and lanolin
I ordered these and they work well. They are certainly the most comfortable earplugs I've ever worn, and I've tried a lot in different plant environments. When they get hot, though, they're almost too squishy and sometimes leave a little blue residue in my ears. Worth the tradeoff for the comfort and effectiveness, IMO. I bought a 20 pack of these and still haven't "worn out" the first pair. Wash under hot water.

Back