• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ear Plugs - Discuss.

Be Careful

leaving me alone with the sounds in my head.
They say bad things to me like, "you really need that new farkle, the wife will understand, really

I do not like to wear them. I like to listen to the bikes. They all speak a different language. Back when it was not an issue for most folks I raced a Kawsaki Mach III with Denco expansion chambers as well as a wide open BSA Victor and a flat track Yamaha 250 and above all my first wifes constant screaming.
I intend on hearing everything that I have left , including my current wife's (27 years) gentle tones!!

Sorry , it is just me.:whistle

I am a fiber optic splicer and do protect my eyes from laser radiation though, does that count! :stick

I do not like to wear them. I like to listen to the bikes. . . . I intend on hearing everything that I have left , including my current wife's (27 years) gentle tones!!

Then start saving up for hearing aids.

I am a fiber optic splicer and do protect my eyes from laser radiation though, does that count!

No . . . but, at least you'll be able to see to find your hearing aids. :stick

no one has mentioned these........yet

Worlds Finest Natural ear plugs
Rated NRR 34, and blended from the purest beeswax, cotton and lanolin

super pliable like clay or playdo

I work around printing presses and have been using these for over 2 years
they work great and don't hurt your ears after long hours of wear

they block out the wind noise on the LT just great !

here is the site

http://www.earplugsonline.com/index.html

don't work for them just a fan

Ridesalot

check your local laws, I believe earplugs are illegal in California and other places.

Nope, they're legal since 2004. Vehicle Code 27400 now reads:

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a
headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does
not apply to any of the following:
...(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of
earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate
injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a
manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or
horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

i use the foam, tan colored hearo's ear plugs. while at the national i had a pair of custom ear plugs made from the vendor inside, not the one that was outside. they were the worst thing i ever tried. totally unusable at speeds over 60mph as there was a high pitched noise that gave me a headache. even at low speeds they still did not block as much noise as the hearos. i returned them the same day i got them as they were a complete waste of money. i will stick to wearing hearos, they work, there comfortable and are affordable.

Custom, molded plugs with jacks ???

I jumped on line to ask about plugs and saw this thread. A few of our members (BMW Dutch Country Riders) have been using plugs they got either from a vendor at a rally or a local audiologist...about $180.00. They really like them and I need to do something. My ears ring all the time anyway and I have a loss. So I've checked around locally and have quotes from $180 to $300+. I was directed to Westone.com by the audiologist to compare them. Another site recommended by a fellow rider: www.earplugsco.com. The $180 is for "musician's protectors", the $300+ is for "motor sports protectors". My question...are there products out there with the jacks that are cheaper? I'm going to buy something BUT : :bottle $$$$ WOW.

Any leads and/or advice would be welcomed, after all it's free and worth the price:p

thanks,

Cam.

Cam,
check the earplugstore.com. They have a nice variety of styles and types. I've not see ear plugs with jacks in them but then a set of earbud headphones would do the same thing no?

Musician's earplugs from Etymotics would do the trick:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

Or these...
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

If low frequency rumble is the issue, you really want something that reduces noise evenly over the frequency spectrum, a flat response, like these Etymotics. Musicians plugs have flat response. Nearly all foam plugs have a bell shape curve response, cutting out certain frequencies more than others and produce the response you report.

Another site recommended by a fellow rider: www.earplugsco.com. The $180 is for "musician's protectors", the $300+ is for "motor sports protectors". My question...are there products out there with the jacks that are cheaper? I'm going to buy something BUT : :bottle $$$$ WOW.

Cam.

That should be www.earplugco.com ;) As these are custom made for your ear (the process begins by getting an earmold made) you will not find them any cheaper than that. If you want cheaper, go to the generic fit models from Etymotic (ER6, ER6i), Shure (E2C, E3C), etc etc. I hear mixed response on custom vs. generic fit and isolation. The key with custom earphones is the earmold impression and earplugco.com has a very good reputation.

Again, my complaint isn't that I can't hear the road or other noises, it was the din that DID accompany wearing them.

Does anyone know of any online outlets for buying ear plugs?

Make sure you've got them far enough into your ear that the exposed end doesn't touch your helmet.

Aerostich used to sell a sample pack. Maybe their website sells it.

There are a number of firms which sell "safety" equipment for industry: barriers, lights, eye-wash basins, brightly-colored clothing, etc., and you'll find they all sell various types of earplugs, too. I can't remember the one from which I bought my last box of 200 pairs. Google will get you there.

Custom earplugs

A few years ago, while on vacation in Austin Texas and without time to order from the earplugco.com (which I wanted to do) I visited a local audiologist. He fit me and ordered some westone speaker plugs. The total cost was $250 which included a thorough ear cleaning, ear mold and the speakers.

I was disappointed in the result for the first few weeks but later learned to wear them properly and have now had them for 4 years. One important thing is to not allow the helmet to press on the ear in such a way that pressure is on the ear plug.

Also the wire should not be in a bind such that it is being pulled on. To remedy this issue I tuck a couple of inches or more of excess wire inside my helmet from the bottom.

Also it is important to keep your ears clean. As the smallest amount of whatever in your ear over time will be pressed into the plug opening and down into the speaker canal.

I woud recommend clear plugs so that you can see if wax is accumulating down in the canal and clean it out if need be. Before I learned all this I had one of the plugs clog and become almost silent.

They set was sent to Westone who cleaned it and returned it wih instructions to keep my ears cleaner. No charge for the service even though it was well out of warranty. The sound quality is very high also.

Before I use the plugs, especially for long multiday trips I thoroughly clean my ears using special products made for that purpose. This is not Q-tips that I am referring to. Go to the drug store and get an ear cleaner kit i.e., liquid drops. :ear

While $250 is a lot of money it sure makes those 12-15 hour ride days pass much more comfortably. :dance
Ken

Just got the bill for my new hearing aids

Just got the bill for my new hearing aids

$6,200.00

My vote is to see your local audiologist and have a set of custom ear plugs made. My last set was $80.00 and I don't ride with out them.

Ear plugs reduce the decibels to a safer level. You still hear noise, just not as loud. If you choose not to wear any, you risk permanently damaging your hearing. The loss of hearing is very gradual therefore most people who have a hearing loss do not think they have a problem. I highly recommend getting tested to see if you have hearing damage. I also highly recommend using ear plugs.

As it has been stated, if you don't wear ear plugs, start saving up for hearing aids. They cost from $3,500 to $8,000 a pair for well know high quality brands.

I know all this because just had my hearing tested at the insistence of my wife and spoke with the doctor after the test. I have profound hearing loss and nothing can restore it. I need hearing aids to improve my hearing.

:ear

This is from the AARP website.

Having Trouble Hearing?

Take this simple self-test to see if you might have impaired hearing. Consult a doctor if your answers indicate a possible problem.

1. Do you often need to turn the volume up on the television?
2. Do you frequently have to ask others to repeat themselves?
3. Do you have difficulty understanding people when you are in groups or noisy situations?
4. Do you have to sit up front in meetings or church in order to understand?
5. Do you have difficulty understanding women or young children?
6. Do you have trouble knowing where sounds are coming from?
7. Are you unable to understand when someone talks to you from another room?
8. Have others told you that you don't seem to hear them?
9. Do you avoid family meetings or social situations because you "can't understand"?
10. Do you have ringing or other noises (tinnitus) in your ears?

Scoring:
If you answered "yes" to fewer than three of the questions, you may have no significant hearing loss.

If you answered yes to three to five of the questions, you may have a slight hearing problem.*

If you answered yes to five to seven of the questions, you may have a moderate hearing problem.*

If you answered yes to more than seven of the questions, you may have a significant hearing problem.*

*In order to determine the exact degree of hearing loss present, you should have your hearing evaluated by a licensed hearing professional.

Last edited:
Agreed. Thumbs up on the Plugs

In 20 years of riding other brands and some extremely loud I never even heard of using ear plugs while riding. After joining this group I read several threads on use of ear plugs while riding. Really couldnÔÇÖt understand it, thought man bad idea reduce your hearing of other cages. Well I gave it a try and now its part of my daily riding routine. For me itÔÇÖs like balancing the tires on your car quiet comfortable ride made a great difference and I probably wonÔÇÖt ride very often without them.

:heart

I agree. The neat thing, counter-intuitive though it is, is that my ear plugs screen out the noise I don't want--enginer and wind roar--and still allow the things I do want to hear--other vehicles, horns, ambulances, the LT stereo. :clap

I use Hearos Exterme (33 NPR) where I'm riding for 8 minutes or 8 hours.

MCN (Dr. Flash Gordon) has a piece on this this month.

check your local laws, I believe earplugs are illegal in California and other places. I wear them on longer rides, not for around town stuff, although the pipes on the beater are pretty damn loud.
A physican's prescription for them makes them legal.

And have you ever heard of anyone being ticketed for wearing earplugs? I haven't.

Back