• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

? repair brake lines?

C

CRUISIN

does anyone know of a process / service where the rubber part of brake lines get replaced without having to purchase all of the junctions & hardware? I used to work with hydraulic systems on farm equipment and the local CO-OP had tools to replace the fittings and/or hoses and they were as good or better than original equipment. I'm thinking maybe a good automotive brake repair shop might have the same capability. I live near Amarillo, TX.

Don't bother to repair - just replace 'em!

There are several aftermarket braided brakeline kits available, Melvins, HEL, Goodridge and probably others. Go for plastic-coated braided steel hoses with stainless or nickel plated fittings. New copper sealing washers all round and fresh brake fluid.

Brake lines are one thing you don't want to fail. Don't try to economise.

I don't think any place which makes hydraulic lines will make brake lines for you, liability issues.

I think the effort required to salvage the fittings would be more costly than the price of new ones. I went with Spiegler lines on my RS a few years ago. They fit perfectly like the originals and should last much longer.

E-bay items

found one for a 2000 RT on E-bay with 61K miles. Will the 2000 and 1998 lines interchange? Checked the A&S site and it doesn't specify years for that part.

klc

Unless the brake lines have the fittings that can be reused instead of one time crimp on fittings you cannot rebuild them.

Something to keep in mind, hydraulic hoses are rebuilt (note I said rebuilt NOT repaired) all the time including for uses that have multiple thousand pound pressures. Rebuilding one means you remove all of the hose material and simply put the fittings on new hose. This will have the same pressure capacity as the original new hose or more depending on what hose you use to rebuild. As long as the fittings are in good shape, and they tend to not wear, the rebuilt hose won't be an issue.

FWIW go to a hydraulic shop for this kind of job. Make sure you tell them what fluid will be in the hose so they make sure the hose is compatible. I had a hose for my RV built (2800 PSI working pressure) that was about 8' long and it cost me about $13.00. It was built while I waited. I took the old hose in so they could match it up.

Motor31, sounds like you have some experience with rebuilding. Aslo sounds like the crimp-on fittings are a one-time use -- bummer for me.

thanks
klc

You should be replacing them every 5 years anyway. Haven't had one blow out on you before huh? It is NOT fun. Just spend a few and get the stainless braided lines and be done with it. It's a SAFETY issue.

I just replaced my stock lines with Spieglers on my '96 RT. If they will fit your motorcycle, you can have them for the price of shipping. I don't plan to reuse them. Just PM me if interested.

I have worked as a field engineer for Parker-Hannifin (world's largest hydraulic hose supplier/maker) for the past 12 years, specifically on hydraulic hose and applications. There are no reasonable means to replace just the hose and reuse the hose ends for any brake hose application on any on-highway vehicles. It would even be a hassle to try and use standard reuseable hydraulic hose ends with new brake hose. Most often, motorcycle brake hoses have very specific unique designed hose ends (Banjo style in most cases) which are not common in hydraulic hose applications. Also, not all hydraulic hose is of the right style, size, volumetric expansion, inner tube composition, etc, to be compatible with brake fluid and brake applicaitons.

I myself have access to the right hose and crimping equipment to make my own brake hoses. But finding the right hose end connection styles for cycle brakes, without adding other fittings, is such a hassle, that its simply not worth it. Like others here have said, go with the replacement aftermarket hoses which are FAR better quality than ANY OEM synthetic rubber construction hose. In fact, I would not recommend replacing ANY OEM brake hoses with factory replacement brake hoses unless directed so because of a warranty or insurance coverage replacement issue. If you have the opportunity to replace the brake hoses, go with the better aftermarket hose assemblies.

All cycle manufacturers buy the least expensive, most cost effective, DOT compliant brake hoses they can get. It has been of recent years that some manufacturers (BMW included) have now gone to install S/S braided/Teflon Tube brake hoses as stock equipment. Unless this type of brake hose is kinked or damaged, it never needs replacement due to ageing/softening as does the synthetic rubber brake hoses we have all been familiar with for decades. Now that many cycle makers use the S/S braided hose for brakes, the need to replace them in the future will disappear entirely based on age/use. Teflon inner tubed brake hose does not age and swell/soften over time as does the standard brake hose common to most older bikes.

thank you

I have worked as a field engineer for Parker-Hannifin (world's largest hydraulic hose supplier/maker) for the past 12 years, specifically on hydraulic hose and applications. There are no reasonable means to replace just the hose and reuse the hose ends for any brake hose application on any on-highway vehicles. It would even be a hassle to try and use standard reuseable hydraulic hose ends with new brake hose. Most often, motorcycle brake hoses have very specific unique designed hose ends (Banjo style in most cases) which are not common in hydraulic hose applications. Also, not all hydraulic hose is of the right style, size, volumetric expansion, inner tube composition, etc, to be compatible with brake fluid and brake applicaitons.

I myself have access to the right hose and crimping equipment to make my own brake hoses. But finding the right hose end connection styles for cycle brakes, without adding other fittings, is such a hassle, that its simply not worth it. Like others here have said, go with the replacement aftermarket hoses which are FAR better quality than ANY OEM synthetic rubber construction hose. In fact, I would not recommend replacing ANY OEM brake hoses with factory replacement brake hoses unless directed so because of a warranty or insurance coverage replacement issue. If you have the opportunity to replace the brake hoses, go with the better aftermarket hose assemblies.

All cycle manufacturers buy the least expensive, most cost effective, DOT compliant brake hoses they can get. It has been of recent years that some manufacturers (BMW included) have now gone to install S/S braided/Teflon Tube brake hoses as stock equipment. Unless this type of brake hose is kinked or damaged, it never needs replacement due to ageing/softening as does the synthetic rubber brake hoses we have all been familiar with for decades. Now that many cycle makers use the S/S braided hose for brakes, the need to replace them in the future will disappear entirely based on age/use. Teflon inner tubed brake hose does not age and swell/soften over time as does the standard brake hose common to most older bikes.

Now there is some useful advice based on professional training and experience. That is what I was looking for -- even though it means spending some more money. thank you.

btw, I was never trying to get around having a safe ride, but was just hoping there would have been a viable alternative to buying new that would have still been as good or better than OEM parts. Andy VH makes a convincing case and I will likely take his advice.

Back