• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"SOLAS" reflective tape

ultracyclist

I bought some of this tape to put on the back of my system cases.

How does one prepare the surface of the system cases for this tape?

Other than "rounding" the corners, how does one prevent the tape from peeling off?

TIA

I use a solvent of one type or another when prepping surfaces for tape. Since I repair electronic equipment for a living, there are always various spray can cleaners on hand.

As to the Solas tape, the adhesive is extremely tenacious. The problem with the Solas I had was that it wasn't edge-sealed very well, but the adhesive was so good it was a major chore to get it off.

I've always used rubbing alcohol. The better companies selling stickers often throw in an alcohol wipe with your purchase.

heating

before placing tape in the loacation,,, as we do in the body shop we always preheat the area,,, just warm not hot.. hot hair dryer is good.

Denatured alcohol

Have used SOLAS for years....many compliments on its effectiveness!!!!!

Big patch on rear of my helmet too.....

Where is a good place to purchase this tape? I see it in the aerostich catalog but I imagine there are other places to pick up bigger pieces available out there.

--Jeff

Those with GiVi or similar cases that have a reflector like the one on the Maxia E52, can apply SOLAS to the surface of the metal plate behind the reflector.

Also try marine supply stores for SOLAS tape.

And there are many places on the Internet to buy SOLAs tape.

My SOLAS:

stripes.jpg

conspic.jpg

SOLAS
Is a type of retro reflective tape made for in water applications
(Safety Of Lives At Sea)
The "Cheapest" places to get it are on-line marine supply houses.

As other's have mentioned it's tenacious like all get out.
I've had a couple of peices on a back-pack that's more then 10 years old now
and the tape sticks like nothing else.

If you looking for cheaper stuff or stuff in more color
Look up 3M Scotchlight.

SOLAS is quite impressive. Just this evening I was looking outside as the sun was setting and it looked like I had mirrors attached to my saddlebags, pointed right at the sun. It was bright enough to screw up my vision until my eyes re-adjusted. Here is a shot of two strips attached to the luggage on my GSPD. Photos taken mid-day at an "off" angle - it still came out glowing - no photo manipulation, here.

gspd-solas.jpg

Whatever you use, it helps. Too bad the camera didn't catch my 5 sets of Hyperlites too. The Solas in this shot is the line across the top case.

2864490843_50374bda40_o.jpg

Josh, I see you also stuck a piece of SOLAS on your licence plate. :stick

Just kidding of course.

:ha

That's dual-use - it helps other drivers see me at night and also helps the red-light cameras not see me. :D

Now that I think about it, I wonder what effect a license plate frame of SOLAS would do if I happened to get my picture taken by one of those? Probably no big deal - I make a point to not run red light...

Back