• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

May 29 Cig run

LORAZEPAM

leave my monkey alone
Being a smoker, and since cigs are much cheaper in Kentucky, I decided to make a run "across the border" for some cheap smokes.
While getting the bike out of the garage, I saw a formation of WWII vintage aircraft fly over my location. Having seen them in the past, I figured they would land at the municipal airport in Cincinnati, not the international airport. I adjusted my plans to include a stop there first.

Attachments

• b-25-at-lunken.jpg
    b-25-at-lunken.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 125
I found that there was a B-25 bomber and a couple Navy trainers that had landed, and were available for rides. For a mere 350.00 you could take a cruise in either the trainers or the Bomber. For 400.00 you could sit up front in the bomber. since I was out of smokes, I decided not to take a spin in the planes, just take some shots. I have an intense adimration for the men (and boys) that flew in these machines, knowing that the chances they would come back were around 50% or less. That takes a huge amount of courage, and I feel indebted to them for their sacrifices.

Attachments

• both-navy-trainers.jpg
    both-navy-trainers.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 123
I proceeded down US 52 along the Ohio River, and made a stop at Meldahl Dam. this dam is part of the navigation and flood control system of the Corps Of Engineers.
Thanks to homeland security and the general paranoia of our politicians, you are no longer allowed to get close to the locks to take pictures, so a long range one will have to do.

Attachments

• meldahl-dam1.jpg
    meldahl-dam1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 122
It was on to the Agusta Ferry. There has been an operating ferry here since 1792. It is a really cool way to cross the river, and take a break. The river is very high due to all the rain, and if it rises much further, ferry service will be suspended until it gets closer to normal.

Attachments

• agusta-ferry-2.jpg
    agusta-ferry-2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 117
the destination of the ferry is Agusta, Ky one of the older settlements in Kentucy,

Attachments

• bike-on-ferry-2.jpg
    bike-on-ferry-2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 115
Agusta has a couple claims to fame, namely the Clooney family.
Rosemary Clooney was born and buried here, and her nephew, George Clooney was born here as well. He still keeps a place on the river in this beautiful little town.

Attachments

• beehive-tavern.jpg
    beehive-tavern.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 112
If you like quaint shops and bed and breakfasts, this is the place for you

Attachments

• agusta-street.jpg
    agusta-street.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 109
By now, I had a serious nicotine jag going, so it was on to Maysville, Ky via Rt 8, and cheap cigarettes. I then took the AA highway home (rt 9) this has some awesome sweepers, and it is very hard to keep the speed down to a reasonable level. My cigarette run was just over 200 miles, and a great time.

Attachments

• agusta-landing.jpg
    agusta-landing.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 108
As an R/RS owner I really enjoyed your ride report. After the 200 mile ride don't leave us in suspense. What did you pay for a carton?

James O

May Cig run

Well, Crap !
I knew I should have turned around and said HI to you !!
I was coming OUT of the Meldaul Dam enterance when you were pulling IN.
I was on that Blue '02 RT wearing a Yellow Jacket.

Hey , did you happen to find a BMW of the TRI-State puck up in the parking lot ?

I think that was the only shaddy spot in the whole parking lot !!
;)

John

If you look closely at my sidestand, you will see that I used it while I was there. I left it in case you came back for it, but if you want another one, I can get ya one for free :D . Oh by the way a carton of smokes set me back $16.99. buy them where they grow them and it is cheaper:p

Back