• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hot weather riding gear

LANCEORICE

I'm looking for a hot weather suit. Have read some posts but still need some input. Currently using an Aerostich Roadcrafter and love the suit - but it is hot. Wondering about the Darien or Darien Light vs. Motoport and BMW hot weather suits in particular. Any help is appreciated.

I have been using the First Gear meshtek jacket and pants for several years. They are pretty much like riding in jeans and a t-shirt as long as you are moving.

I am running with a Tourmaster Flex I jacket and Joe Rocket Phoenix Pants. The Flex jacket has a outer shell that zips off to make the jacket full mesh, plus an inner rain liner and a removable quilted liner. That make it a do all jacket for summer riding. Works from the 40's F up to...

In the cool fall and spring and winter I wear my Stich.

Rod

Olympia Air Glide 2

I'm using the Olympia Airglide 2 jacket in Silver.
Spent a lot of time trying to find domething light colored.
Really like this jacket. Inner lining for rain or to wear around the campground.
Have not gotten the pants because they are not long enough for my 36" inseam.
Still trying to figure that out....

I use a Heinrik Geric mesh jacket (bought it years ago) & First Gear mesh pants for temps above 90 degrees. Below that I use the Olympia Recon 2 jacket & pants. Below 60 degrees, I have other options.

The Olympia has more protection than a full mesh set & I prefer it. I do not like suits with liners as they do not fit right without the, & with them you look like a rolly polly 3 year old who's mother wrapped them up for winter.

I use the BMW Venting Machine jacket and pants - sometimes substituting the BMW Summer pants for the VM pants. The BMW gear is well-made, comfortable, and has excellent CE protection. :thumb

I'm using the Olympia Airglide 2 jacket in Silver.
Spent a lot of time trying to find domething light colored.
Really like this jacket. Inner lining for rain or to wear around the campground.
Have not gotten the pants because they are not long enough for my 36" inseam.
Still trying to figure that out....

I have the silver Olympia Airglide 2 jacket and pants and really like them. Much cooler than my older Joe Rocket Phoenix (1st generation) jacket and pants, in part due to the silver color. I think the strategic use of fabric (Cordura) on the Airglide also helps by blocking the direct wind and channeling it into the mesh areas. The insulated liners are great on a cool/cold morning, and with Frogg Toggs over the top you can layer up/down for 3 seasons of wet or dry riding.

+1 on the Olympic

OlyAirglideMenSlv.jpg
I wear it with the liner in the morning at 40 degrees, wear it without in the afternoon at 90 degrees. Very comfortable.:dance

Here is a picture of me in my Olympia.

1215865900.jpg

OK, so it is not me, but I wear the same jacket. :dance

Just bought meself an Airglide jacket in Hi Viz Yellow. :dance

Mens%20Airglide%20neon200.jpg

It's so bright, it almost glows in the dark.

My old Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 was very comfortable, but I wanted better protection in the event of a getoff. I read that the mesh in this jacket melted upon contact with the pavement. Not very inspiring!
06JoeRocketPhoenix4JktMD.gif

Of course, we now have a cool spell. I'll let you know how it is when riding in the 90's and humid.

I have been using the First Gear meshtek jacket and pants for several years. They are pretty much like riding in jeans and a t-shirt as long as you are moving.
+1

I've had the original First Gear MeshTex jacket for seven years, and last month I finally bought a pair of the First Gear Mesh Tex 2.0 pants. Excellent products for a decent price.

And, BTW, the Mesh Tex 2.0 pants are now on NewEnough.com's closeout list at only $94.99. Here's the link.

+2 for First Gear. Jacket, pants and gloves have worked great for a few years now. Just don't get caught in the rain or you'll find your wearing a sponge!

I sold my 1 year old Roadcrafter and bought the Rallye II Pro jacket and britches. It is the finest piece of hot weather gear I have ever owned. What sold me was the fact that I could unzip the sleeves and the remaining full perf nylon liner would still be in place with all the armor. 3 weeks ago coming across Kansas it was the hottest I've ever ridden in it. 102F constant. I saw 103F briefly. I was not uncomfortable. I'll also say that the humidity level was very low.
I used to not ride much in July, now I fear it not! Bring it on:eat

Sanders

Last edited:
Currently using an Aerostich Roadcrafter and love the suit - but it is hot.

And when you open the under-arm vents, there is nothing to prevent a bee or wasp from entering the Aerostich suit and making the remainder of the ride home quite painful.

Ask me how I know.

Andy Goldfine! Sew in some mesh in both underarm and back vents. This may be my second Aerostich suit since 1992 (bought my last one in 2004), but face it, the design is getting very dated.

Motoport!!!!

I wear Joe Rocket jacket & pants crap(early versions)...for when it gets "warm" here (lol)....savin' my $$ for complete Motoport stuff.........

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied. I now own the Olympia Bushwacker jacket and Airglide 2 over pants. They seem very nice and are much more comfortable than the Roadcrafter in the warm weather.

olympia gear

I have to confess that I'm merely a novie rider with just 5000 miles under my belt. But, I purchased a pair of ranger 2 pants in the spring and they haven't gotten too hot. the hottest temps I've worn them in have been high 80's - low 90's. I also, don't have fairing, so I have a lot of airflow.

Now, I'm considering upgrading my jacket to either the olympia ast or voyager, bc they fit the ranger 2 pants. any pros/cons for these jackets? 3/4 vs. regular length?

Thanks.

Back