• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mounting options for duffels (R12RT w/bags)

Artiee

R1200RT
Another comment to add....

If you secure bags to the top of your RT's side cases, the bags will block a significant view of your rearview mirrors.

To get around that, purchase some K1200 R/S rearview mirrors and secure them to the unused mounting holes on the handle bars. The higher mounting will allow you to see over the bags.

00-Both.jpg

00-Left.jpg

00-Right.jpg

If you secure bags to the top of your RT's side cases, the bags will block a significant view of your rearview mirrors.

To get around that, purchase some K1200 R/S rearview mirrors and secure them to the unused mounting holes on the handle bars. The higher mounting will allow you to

That's an excellent point- I thought I was being super smart when I installed barbacks and the reflection of my gloves moved from the middle of the mirrors to the top inner corners....but now I'll be looking at a huge, flourescent yellow drybag instead of the monster truck rapidly approaching! I'll put those mirrors on order today!

Do the new mirrors interfere with the shield at all? That looks like a CalSci, which is what I have.

Do the new mirrors interfere with the shield at all? That looks like a CalSci, which is what I have.

My windscreen is factory original and there is no conflict between the mirrors and the windscreen. I have several inches to spare, when full lock left or right.

A wider widescreen will diminish that gap and if too wide could possibly conflict.

To get around that, purchase some K1200 R/S rearview mirrors and secure them to the unused mounting holes on the handle bars. The higher mounting will allow you to see over the bags.

Artiee- I went camping this past weekend and experienced what you are talking about; couldn't see a damned thing except duffels and thermarests in the mirrors. I'm definitely going to order some K12 mirrors. Was wondering- are those from the new model K- or the previous one? Did they change the mirrors over the years?

We ditched the top box for camping trips and purchased a 5100cu. in. U bag from Mag's Bags. It sits low, so Tina doesn't feel like she's sitting in a box. It holds an astounding amount of gear. I'm going to put blue painter's tape on the top of the bags, I think. I've seen it in red, which will match the bike, to some degree. :ha

For a backrest, we got one from Best Rest like this:

img10270463c019bbb575.jpg

It's removable and is positioned well. Tina says it gives her a bit more room, which is helpful. If you buy it at RTBMR.com, they'll send you a little tool kit, I think.

For hotel trips, we still have the top box.

I would love it if someone made a rear plate for the RT. I'd like something to help support the Ubag a bit better.

I have the same back rest and love it! ! :clap

I have mounted a T-bag in place of a top box.

http://www.rtbmr.com/pb/wp_705d7032/wp_705d7032.html

affixing bags et al

If one is going to "tape" off something for protecting the paint, check out gaffers tape. It is the 'consistency' and strength of duct tape but leaves no residue when it is very easily removed. Comes in colors, too. Not sure where you can find it as a friend came up with a roll for me. Worth checking out.

Blue painters masking tape is too thin in my book to risk the paint being marred in a long trip with a bag in constant contact.

YMMV:usa

Back