• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

weeping coolant on 85 k100 rs - ???

what causes coolant to weep out of the little weep hole on the pump?

background:

I just recently changed the oil and I ran a sludge remover (automotive snake oil???) thru the crank case.

I also recently had the tank off to replace the clutch cable and while it was off - I did top off the coolant a bit (bad idea???)

I was reading the manual which states that the oil pump and the coolant pump are in fact the same pump - Now I am having visions of a crank case full of antifreeze (is the possible)

The stuff looks to be only coolant - but I hadn't really thought to look for oil being in there until I read the part about the oil/water pump

Anyone with any advice/past experience?
I am going back to the garage for further research

thanks in advance for the help

I had some drips on my garage floor of coolant.

Then I torqued the bolts back to spec and it stopped.

What the other guys said is true and I'd like to add the following:

The water pump and oil pump share the same shaft. Between the two pumps, each has its own seal and there is a small space between them that drains at the front of the oil pan. As long as any coolant/oil that leaks in this space can get out, they will not mix there.

I doubt that anything you did caused this. My bike started doing this shortly after I got it ('95 K75RT with 37K on it at the time.) I replaced the seals and have had no leaks since. On an older bike, it might be better to replace the water/oil pump.

If it gets no worse, you could just live with it. I fixed it because I did not know how fast it would get worse and didn;t want to find out a long way from home. :eek You'll find information on water/oil pump rebuild at the IBMWR site tech pages.

HankB said:
What the other guys said is true and I'd like to add the following:

The water pump and oil pump share the same shaft. Between the two pumps, each has its own seal and there is a small space between them that drains at the front of the oil pan. As long as any coolant/oil that leaks in this space can get out, they will not mix there.

I doubt that anything you did caused this. My bike started doing this shortly after I got it ('95 K75RT with 37K on it at the time.) I replaced the seals and have had no leaks since. On an older bike, it might be better to replace the water/oil pump.

If it gets no worse, you could just live with it. I fixed it because I did not know how fast it would get worse and didn;t want to find out a long way from home. :eek You'll find information on water/oil pump rebuild at the IBMWR site tech pages.

If you noticed the design of the water pump seal - it isn't one that is likely to fail catastropically.. it just slowly drips and may start dripping a bit faster.

It's not a rubber lip seal - it's a rather odd ceramic/metal seal where the two sealing surfaces rub one another.

It is something to do when you have a chance, but if one started dripping slightly when on a trip - I wouldn't panic over it.

Back