• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

moto light relay(GRRRRRRR!!!)

LICK MY BRICK

You guys are gonna love this! Remember my rant about paying $100 dollars for a new battery,well turns out I just wasted $100 on my new battery.Heres why,I installed my new battery in my bike today,buttoned everything up,it started right up, great!Now I go too check all my lights,turn signals,ect.ect.When I went to turn on my motolights they did not work,so I checked all the connections,the switch,ect.Now I pull the relay to see if the pins where corroded or something.Guess what? its fill with water!WTF I said to my self.Now we all know what happened to my old battery;right?Turns out the seal was not so good around the relay,and fill up with water from condensation build up!And drained the battery down so low the clock on the bike did not work.

Now heres why I'm kicking my self in the ass,the charger I use is the battery tender plus,and should have read the paper work more throughly.Turns out if the battery you are charging is lower than 3 volts it will not turn on to charge it. You have to use another battery with 3 volts or more to trick it to come while its connected to dead battery.But I already got rid of the old battery,and bought the new one 'DOH!'

Bought a new relay for 8 bucks at autozone and all is good.So my question is did this happen to anyone else? Please check your relays and make sure they are not filled with water

:p

hey man, youve got a brand new battery, so you dont have to worry about that one now, your problem is easily fixed, and youve provided all of us with a way to get a cheap, charged battery when we need one. goodness all the way around. youll make more money, go ride! :)

Where is the relay mounted?

Even if it isn't sealed, I wouldn't think that enough condensation would be able to form without some big external source of water close by.

Its mounted near the fuse block in front of my battery on my bike where no water can plash in there.You see I have house with no garage so the bike is outside locked up and covered with a Dowco bike cover when not in use. I ride all year around even in the winter.The most my bike sits in the winter is one too two weeks in between rides, otherwise I ride all the time.When I opened the old relay up to see what it looked like about a tea spoon of dirty water came out.The thing that surprised me was four days before I rode the bike with no problem with the motolights or battery and then on fourth day went to go for a ride nothing even the clock was out!now thats dead. when I tested the old battery it was showing less than 1 volt!

I had the motolights for about a year now so I guess is was just condensation build up.

I mounted my motolight relay on top of the air cleaner ( bolt is on the outside part of the filter, so if it comes loose, it wont get sucked into the engine) I have not noticed any condensation at all, and the relay is 3 years old.

I don't know,maybe it was freak thing or something.My guess is the way the Bosch relay was built.When I squeesed the relay after I pulled it ,a drop of water came out on bottom outer perimiter of the relay.So thats the way water got in there by capulary action is my guess.And maybe the seal was broken due to vibrations from the bike:dunno

Back