• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wiring Harness Grommet?

burnszilla

On the front wiring harness that leads to the headlight, signals and gauges (hangs beside the front forks) there is a 1 inch wide rubber grommet shaped like a D. The wires pass thru it.
I looks like it should plug into somewhere but mine is just sitting there on the wire.

Any ideas?

Grommet

Not to question, but rather clarify.
You sure this is not a boot rather than a grommet?
I have a "flat sided" boot on mine that just goes over the entry into the headlight to protect against dirt and moisture.
Fernando

Burnszilla said:
On the front wiring harness that leads to the headlight, signals and gauges (hangs beside the front forks) there is a 1 inch wide rubber grommet shaped like a D. The wires pass thru it.
I looks like it should plug into somewhere but mine is just sitting there on the wire.

Any ideas?

Since we're talking an S (the BEST K75!).. and I've replaced the wiring harness on mine (long story - and not BMW's fault).. I think I have an idea:

This is on the left side?

It is supposed to be tie-wrapped to... from memory - the frame (would have to look at mine at home). If you notice the edge of the D shaped thingie has a groove in it just about the right width for a tie-wrap.

I don't recall one on the right side - since all the wires to the headlight, signals, etc go up the left side.

HTH,

No, its not the headlight boot.

So, I dropped by CalBMW this morning to look under the K75 and the K100RT they have for sale there.

The D grommet on the K75 fits into some plastic moulding in the center near the steering column.

Note: my wiring harness runs on the left side of the shock.
The two K bikes at CalBMW, the wire was running between the shocks.

Burnszilla said:
No, its not the headlight boot.

So, I dropped by CalBMW this morning to look under the K75 and the K100RT they have for sale there.

The D grommet on the K75 fits into some plastic moulding in the center near the steering column.

Note: my wiring harness runs on the left side of the shock.
The two K bikes at CalBMW, the wire was running between the shocks.

Your harness is running right where it should. The bikes you looked at weren't S bikes.

I did feel around under mine a bit and couldn't locate where the D shaped grommet goes.. if I get real ambitious, I can pull down my spare wiring harness (and the S harness is specific to the bike) and see if the D shaped grommet is on it. I do seem to remember it from when I swapped my harness.

One place were it looks like this grommet would fit it up were the wires run into the gauges. It's kind of D shaped up there... But then again, the grommet would not be on the black plastic cover of the harness if you did this. Also it would bipass all the lighting wires.
:confused:

Clarification..

I was at San Jose BMW this morning and I looked under the fairing of a K75S they were selling on the show room floor.

The answer:
The rubber grommet attaches to a holder on the inside of the left fairing with a zip tie, opposite of the left fork stansion.

Back