• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Non-Stop

I've known truck drivers who used to do this sort of thing . . . they ate little white pills and drank gallons of coffee. They were a danger to themselves and everyone else. I'm glad Mr Orr made it, but I'm glad I wasn't on I-State 10 at the time.:scratch

interesting feet.... but TOTALLY Reckless and Dangerous to more of others on the road...

Brilliant. Towed a trailer with 75 gallons of gas behind him. I guess he was hoping not to be rear ended.

Any way you look at it, it was a reckless stunt.

But no doubt someone else will justify it and another idiot will try to beat his time. :stick

Thanks for sharing about risk

Great discussion. I'm glad everyone responded. I offered my kudos, despite the fact that the stunt was very risky. My rationale is that risks are always balanced with rewards. For this stunt, the rewards came through discipline and teamwork. He could have stopped any time the risks outweighed the rewards. His situation was unlike, say, that of Charles Lindbergh, who sat for 33 sleepless hours in a fragile airplane behind a large tank of dangerous fuel, as alone as any human has ever been. Lindbergh received a cash reward and recognition as a pioneer of air travel, but he risked his life to get it. This guy risked less, for less reward.

I don't think this type of stunt does the motorcycling community any favors.
He did not stop to lights or stop signs? What kind of crap is that? As if the "record" would be tainted? I'd like to see him not stopping for a cop.
I can't believe hauling 75 gal of fuel would not classify him as a hazardous load.

non stop

I would suggest that there are riding behaviours that are of [themselves] unsafe...SIBud

I don't think this type of stunt does the motorcycling community any favours. SheRides a Beemer

I agree; it was a dumb stunt.

Rinty

Poor judgement displayed for the simple desires to make it into some sort of record book. It was a total lack of concern for the community at large, and motorcycling in general. Stuts like this are just fine, until something goes wrong, and then it usually entails injury to other persons. There was obviously a lot of time put in on planning this trip (i.e.: amount of fuel, route maping, food and water supply, etc.), but I did not read anything regarding safety for the general public in the event of an accident. This was a careless stunt at best, and it will only engage others to take the next step, like corss country and return without stopping!

Sounds like an incredibly fun ride! :scratch :rolleyes

All back roads, I would assume...that is, if its supposed to be a challenge.

Back