• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Blast to Burlington

terham

BeemerBoy
I had to be in Burlington on Tues for work and thought, with the constraints on our travel budget and the hassles of flying these days, IÔÇÖd take the K on a run up to VT. :thumb IÔÇÖve heard it said ÔÇ£Vermont ÔÇô itÔÇÖs not flatÔÇØ and thought IÔÇÖd check it out myself. This trip has me wondering why I didnÔÇÖt go to the rally two years ago?

My plan was to head up on Monday, do my thing on Tues and head back on Wed. Mapquest says itÔÇÖs 389 miles from my house to Burlington. It turned out to be an 1100 mile trip. I guess IÔÇÖm not very good at following directions.:dunno

IÔÇÖve been wanting to run NY 30 from what IÔÇÖve read on the forum and from talking to Tessler, Snoone and Empeg9000 at the Airheads at the Aerodrome last week. I left early Monday and slabbed it up to Kingston, NY, got off the Thruway and headed over to pick up NY 30 at Grand Gorge. I had planned on picking up NY 30 here and riding south on my way home but that wasnÔÇÖt to be. Rt 30 was all I had hoped for ÔÇô curves with nice scenery and some nice fast sections in the valleys for passing those slow moving cages.:whistle

I stopped in North Blenheim to check out the covered bridge

324389708_qivLe-M.jpg

and stopped in Amsterdam for lunch. By now it was a nice warm day with some clouds but plenty of sunshine. North of Amsterdam it started to get really good at Great Sacandaga Lake. The road was wide with lots of fast sweepers and I made really good time, except for the stops I made along the way.

324394649_Nccby-M.jpg

It got a little confusing north of Indian Lake.

324388000_8nTKf-M.jpg

There were lots of lakes along the way that reminded me of Maine.

324387482_PibTj-M.jpg

Just short of Tupper Lake, there was road construction where all the tarmac was gone. Sitting in line waiting for my chance to try to dump my bike in the dirt, another K rider pulled up next to me. He was on an LT and his son was on a CBR and they were touring New England. I had an interesting chat while we waited. I made it through the off road challenge course right side up and motored on to Lake Placid. It was a little crazy there, but I didnÔÇÖt stop since IÔÇÖll be back there in a few weeks with the family for a vacation.

324601498_48cwJ-M.jpg

324601404_m6hkq-M.jpg

I wanted to take the ferry from Port Kent to Burlington and I thought IÔÇÖd have plenty of time when I left my house in the morning. The ferry I was shooting for was 5:35. If I missed that one IÔÇÖd have to wait 2 hours so I made tracks for Port Kent.

I made the ferry with about 10 minutes to spare and had a nice relaxing ferry crossing with three other couples out touring.

324601312_eshaM-M.jpg

324392841_HJLCf-M.jpg

324385088_7LiNQ-M.jpg

I got to the hotel around 7 tired but looking forward to the ride home.

Outstanding! Terrific photos and text. I like the part about "waiting for my chance to try to dump my bike in the dirt." Funny!

When I was checking into the hotel, I got into a conversation with someone who I think is in the Vermont MOA club. Anyway, in our conversations I mentioned I was planning on taking VT 100 all the way to Mass. He suggested I check out VT 17, the ÔÇ£Deals Gap of VermontÔÇØ on my way. My only plan for the day was to do that at the very least. The rest IÔÇÖd figure out on the way. I got an early start on Wed and started on I-89 under clear skies with little traffic. As soon as the road lost a little elevation and was in the river valeys, I was in the fog and stopped to layer up.

324601234_DeQaW-M.jpg

I exited at Rt 100 and stopped in Waitsfield to fuel up to take on Rt 17. After a non heart healthy "breakfast", I headed up 17. I rode through Vt many years ago and I think I was on this road. Lots of fun.

324391466_7FxDA-M.jpg

324383474_eRxZZ-M.jpg

324383172_jKnYU-M.jpg

I took a rest at a wayside...

324382789_9ArvZ-M.jpg

...and ended up back on Rt 100 at Hancock after a great ride on Rt 125. Can anyone tell me what Breadloaf is? Looked like a great place to hang out and relax.

I followed Rt 100 all the way to North Adams. I know IÔÇÖve seen this picture before but I couldnÔÇÖt resist.

324861793_Zr2Cv-M.jpg

North Adams looks like a good place to look around with all the old mills but I pushed on to Williamstown for lunch here

324381890_ZLNWr-M.jpg

to polish off a samich.

324382228_RLvNy-M.jpg

I asked if there was a road to the top of Mt Greylock but was told the road was closed. I tried the southern route last week with Tessler, Snoone and Sergio but no luck there either. It wouldÔÇÖve been a great view from the top with the clear skies. I didnÔÇÖt feel like walking to the top so I pushed on south.

I was in Pittsfield last week and headed there again and took some familiar roads over to NY 20.

324381525_8X7RN-M.jpg

As it was getting to be mid afternoon I gave up trying to get over to NY 30 and hopped on the Mass Turnpike and slabbed it to PA. I wouldÔÇÖve preferred meandering but I had to get home.

I stopped at the PA welcome station

324381277_gxitd-M.jpg

and continued home with only one foray off of the interstate taking PA 402 from I-84 to I-80. I had my karma going as I rode this whole section with no cars in front of me.

I got home at 7:30. I still have a section of NY 30 to ride:whistle

Outstanding! Terrific photos and text. I like the part about "waiting for my chance to try to dump my bike in the dirt." Funny!

I had an audience so I had to be extra careful. I don't mind doing that if there are no witnesses.

Great photos and ride report! Next time you are up that way, take the Kangamagus Highway (sp?). Wait, I think that may be NH, not VT. We spent a week in the area after the rally and I'd love to go back. Sure is different from the Philly area, huh?

Great report and photos. I spent a summer up near Tupper Lake as a kid, while my Dad worked as a Range Master at a Boy Scout camp (both parents teachers, needed to work during summer to feed us 4 kids). Beautiful area, some amazing lakes up that way. I'd like to get back up on two wheels.......

Terrence, another great report. Great pictures, especially like the one from the ferry. Might have to make my way out that-a-way one of these years.

Superb Ride Report and Excellent Photos

I had to be in Burlington on Tues for work and thought, with the constraints on our travel budget and the hassles of flying these days, IÔÇÖd take the K on a run up to VT...

Outstanding! :clap

You've inspired me to ride the K1 up to Vermont before this summer is through.

-MTS

Terence, Way to combine business with extreme pleasure.. Thanks for sharing the ride:clap

What is this OCO business?

When I was checking into the hotel, I got into a conversation with someone who I think is in the Vermont MOA club. Anyway, in our conversations I mentioned I was planning on taking VT 100 all the way to Mass. He suggested I check out VT 17, the ÔÇ£Deals Gap of VermontÔÇØ on my way. My only plan for the day was to do that at the very least. The rest IÔÇÖd figure out on the way. I got an early start on Wed and started on I-89 under clear skies with little traffic. As soon as the road lost a little elevation and was in the river valeys, I was in the fog and stopped to layer up.

324601234_DeQaW-M.jpg

I exited at Rt 100 and stopped in Waitsfield to fuel up to take on Rt 17. After a non heart healthy "breakfast", I headed up 17. I rode through Vt many years ago and I think I was on this road. Lots of fun.

324391466_7FxDA-M.jpg

324383474_eRxZZ-M.jpg

324383172_jKnYU-M.jpg

I took a rest at a wayside...

324382789_9ArvZ-M.jpg

...and ended up back on Rt 100 at Hancock after a great ride on Rt 125. Can anyone tell me what Breadloaf is? Looked like a great place to hang out and relax.

I followed Rt 100 all the way to North Adams. I know IÔÇÖve seen this picture before but I couldnÔÇÖt resist.

324861793_Zr2Cv-M.jpg

North Adams looks like a good place to look around with all the old mills but I pushed on to Williamstown for lunch here

324381890_ZLNWr-M.jpg

to polish off a samich.

324382228_RLvNy-M.jpg

I asked if there was a road to the top of Mt Greylock but was told the road was closed. I tried the southern route last week with Tessler, Snoone and Sergio but no luck there either. It wouldÔÇÖve been a great view from the top with the clear skies. I didnÔÇÖt feel like walking to the top so I pushed on south.

I was in Pittsfield last week and headed there again and took some familiar roads over to NY 20.

324381525_8X7RN-M.jpg

As it was getting to be mid afternoon I gave up trying to get over to NY 30 and hopped on the Mass Turnpike and slabbed it to PA. I wouldÔÇÖve preferred meandering but I had to get home.

I stopped at the PA welcome station

324381277_gxitd-M.jpg

and continued home with only one foray off of the interstate taking PA 402 from I-84 to I-80. I had my karma going as I rode this whole section with no cars in front of me.

I got home at 7:30. I still have a section of NY 30 to ride:whistle

I can't help noticing every time there should bean apostrophe it comes out as this OCO thing. What are you using to post, a smartphone?

Back