• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'09 F650GS twin

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
I bought one. It should arrive sometime in the next two months. I know not much more than that.

The Roadster will soon be relieved of its dual sport duty in the Pennsylvania state forests. Poor thing was too heavy and wide.

Fred
'07 R1200R
'09 F650GS

Edited to add that when the two models arrived, I bought an F800GS instead.

Last edited:
You better start to toughen up your butt ready for that new twin. :cry

The seat is awefull.

You better start to toughen up your butt ready for that new twin. :cry

The seat is awful.

I hope I'll be standing most of the time. :)

I understand there are three seats available. Which seat do you have?

Fred

Last edited:
I dont own one, but rode one on a BMW ride day, and my butt was sore in 15klms.

And I wasnt the only person that day to complain about the seat.

It was the standard seat. Low version available, not sure on any more.

Hopefully you have a better butt than me.:D

'09 F650GS - 798 cc, 71 bhp @ 7000 rpm, 55 lb/ft @ 4500 rpm
'09 F800GS - 798 cc, 85 bhp @ 7500 rpm, 62 lb/ft @ 5750 rpm

Does anyone know what BMW does to reduce the power in this engine? The displacements are the same in the two models. Apparently for no extra charge, the BMW dealer will even reduce power to 35 bhp or thereabouts.

Boxrr, my butt must be the poster child for OEM BMW seats. I find them comfortable.

Fred

Greetings PAULBACH! Did you take ownership of 2009 F650GS Twin this last week?? Soon?

Hi Paul, Do you have a F650GS Twin in your garage as we speak? Reason I ask is that the three BMW dealers in Arizona have no idea when they will receive them!!!

My dealer says until BMWNA has enough in New Jersey to distribute to all the American dealers at the same time, none are going out. So another load is on the way from Germany.

Meanwhile, my F650GS is beginning to oxidize in its crate in the Garden State.

Fred

Tuesday: First stop after getting home.
No bike. BMW is not sending them out since there are enough to send at least one to each dealer.

Saturday: Looks like bike might arrive August 1 but now several bikes will arrive. So from no bikes arriving to several bikes arriving.

Can this gang shoot straight?

FredRydr and PAULBACH: Thanks for your fresh info and looking for your ride reports!!

Gentlemen: Thanks for responding back to me so quickly. "Can this gang shoot straight?" That is definitely the understatement of the 2008 motorcycle industry!

Scottsdale BMW, Victory BMW and Iron Horse are all outstanding AZ BMW dealers.

I know from talking to them that it is driving them nuts that they cannot get an honest and straight answer from BMWNA and BMW AG to tell their customers.

I started on this F800GS Odyssey last November 5 when I put down my $500 with David Slepak of Scottsdale BMW. Then on the first of March, Dave called me to his shop and handed me back the $500; saying he had no clue about deliveries.

In the interim I have to admit that I'm swayed by the specifications of the F650GS Twin. This machine will suit my purposes better for Mexico and Alaska than FGS.

When you fine fellows finally get your machines, please give me an owners report!

Postscript to Paul: Have you observed under "Chartered Clubs" that we at AZ Beemers are riding to Real de Catorce in the Mexican State of Zacatecas in 2009.

This dirt ride to "Pueblo Magico" would be right up your M/C alley. Please join AZB!

Real de Catorce in the Mexican State of Zacatecas in 2009.
Now that sounds like an interesting adventure,.

I have test driven the F650GS at Americade and it is a very powerful machine. Just twist the throttle - just a little - and it JUMPS.

My dealer says until BMWNA has enough in New Jersey to distribute to all the American dealers at the same time, none are going out. So another load is on the way from Germany.

Meanwhile, my F650GS is beginning to oxidize in its crate in the Garden State.

Fred

I saw one in a US dealership before we began our trip to Alaska on May 22. Sat on it too.

I'm not sure what the hangup in getting them out is - but they will be scarce for a while, I'm sure. Dealers will sell all they can get for a while.

I would get the 800 if I were you because the 09 650GS is a "de-tuned" 800GS, and for a "little" more I could get the real deal.
I don't know why they discontinued the 650 since it's such a great starter bike, and has been so succesful all over the world as such. But what do I know?

Paul and Fred: Any word from your dealers about your BMW F650GS's arriving very soon?

Guys, still no word on arrival of F650GS Twin here in Arizona! Anything back East?

Right at Max's but they have been given three delivery dates and none have been met. But now they have been given VINs, color and even seat type. I ordered a red one with a high seat.

Thanks Paul! Let me know you got it as soon as you can; after pickup from Max BMW.

Paul, When you are on the bike heading to your house, remember your Arizona BMW buddy; please put a post here ASAP that you got it. I will run down to Dave Slepak at BMW of Scottsdale immediately and wave your post at him! Thanks, Don

Sein_soup_nazi.jpg

8/13/2008 No F650GS for you!
Maybe tomorrow

Back