• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

too close to Lubbock

hlothery

Rode last week with my wife aboard, from San Antonio up to Lubbock to taste some of the Estate wines at LLano Estacado winery. Unfortunately, their tasting room was being remodeled, and was closed. We were able to purchase the wine and taste it later. Interestingly, Nancy Griffith has a song introduction where she talks about her Great Aunt and grandparents, who lived close to Lubbock, "but not too close to Lubbock, nobody wants to be too close to Lubbock". We found out why the next morning, when the wind blew in from the feedlots - nothing like the smell of cow urine in the morning!

We rode back down to Leakey, Tx the next day and stayed in the D'Rose Inn, a motorcycle only place which was very nice. Rode the "Holy Trinity" of motorcycle roads the next day, Texas 337, 335 and 336 around Nueces Canyon.....WOW, what a nice ride. Texas is hot this time of year, but our mesh protective gear worked well as long as we were moving, and we had plenty of water on board.

Can't say I recommend Lubbock......but, if you are in Texas, give Leakey a try, and ride the "Holy Trinity".

Ride to Lubbock

With a half dozen good wineries (and several lesser ones) within a 100 mile radius of San Antonio you chose to ride to Lubbock, in June! And then you spent the night! Let me guess, you're not from Texas, right?
Now you know how Lubbock got it's nickname, Labuttocks.

:clap +1 to both posts....LOL!

The 3's are awesome rides outside of Leakey! Highly recommend....and I would definiltey agree that compared to SA & Austin, Lubbock is not the best place to be!

But the gravel...

Had a great ride on the 3's on Father's Day weekend, but hated, absolutely hated the gravelled stretch. Now getting ready to do a ride in Glacier where there's another 3-mile stretch of "compacted gravel" on the Ride to the Sun. At least we'll be going east to west....

I remember seeing a bumper sticker in Lubbock several years ago that claimed, "Happiness is Lubbock in a rear view mirror." And I have to agree; there's not a lot of good bike roads around the "famous' (?) Texas town.

Robert

I lived in Amarillo for 5 years, and liked it then. But that was before I discovered the Hill Country. Actually, the wineries around Fredericksburg and San Antonio leave me wanting, except for some of the Becker wines. LLano Estacado is the oldest winery in Texas, and some say it produces the strongest product as a result. You can only get their Estate and Reserve wines at the winery, so we decided to go taste them. Unfortunately, they also left us wanting. Nothing we have found in Texas so far can compare to California and Washington. But it was a nice adventure.........I'll not be repeating the trip up to Lubbock however - nobody wants to get too close to Lubbock!:D

Back