• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which boots?

H

h2000fb

Which boots? :giveup:

I have started looking for a pair of touring boots. Thought I had it down to Tour MasterÔÇÖs Solutions. Looks, price, waterproof, decent brand, etc. However, after reading reviews on a site that sold the boots, most said they were nearly impossible to put on, but once on they were great ÔÇô until it took time to take them off. This was a reoccurring complaint. Some even returned them for this reason. Now I think I want try them on at a real Brick & Mortar store instead of buying over the internet. And, real Brick & Mortar stores are hard to find selling boots.

Like TCXs Matrix 2 GTX and the maybe the Air Tech also, but price is much higher. Saw others I am interested in too many! So, would like some opinions. Here is what I am looking for:

- Waterproof (Goretex or some other waterproof membrane), not water resistant
- Nothing stiff, want boots easy to walk in for some distance.
- Not looking for armor, could care less
- Minimal or no break-in
- Cool to warm weather use
- Nothing approaching off-road or motoX
- I am not looking for an insulated boot.

I have worn boots all my life - daily, work, play, casual. I donÔÇÖt consider them hot. Though I know the Goretex lining is an insulator in itself. I have boots with Goretex lining. They are warmer then those without. ThereÔÇÖs not much you can do about it.

Any ideas, or suggestions? Where did you get your touring boots from? What kind do you have? What do you like about them, or would like to change about them. What might you buy if you had it to do it over again?

I have a hard to fit foot (wide) and need to try boots on before buying. I just bought a pair of Lacross Wellingtons that fit your description at a sportsmen's big box store. I'm replacing a pair of georgia boot lineman boots that have held up through two soles, but no longer are waterproof. I've never found a pair of motorcycle boots that fit when I tried them on.

Google Lacross boots, they have a website.

I like the Tourmaster Solutions and I have wide feet. Buy them from a place like newenough.com that has a good return policy.

I have no trouble getting them on, but for me, they are a little snug across my foot when new.

Which boots? :giveup:

I have started looking for a pair of touring boots. Thought I had it down to Tour Master’s Solutions. Looks, price, waterproof, decent brand, etc. However, after reading reviews on a site that sold the boots, most said they were nearly impossible to put on, but once on they were great – until it took time to take them off. This was a reoccurring complaint. Some even returned them for this reason. Now I think I want try them on at a real Brick & Mortar store instead of buying over the internet. And, real Brick & Mortar stores are hard to find selling boots.

Like TCX’s Matrix 2 GTX and the maybe the Air Tech also, but price is much higher. Saw others I am interested in… too many! So, would like some opinions. Here is what I am looking for:

- Waterproof (Goretex or some other waterproof membrane), not water resistant
- Nothing stiff, want boots easy to walk in for some distance.
- Not looking for armor, could care less
- Minimal or no break-in
- Cool to warm weather use
- Nothing approaching off-road or motoX
- I am not looking for an insulated boot.

I have worn boots all my life - daily, work, play, casual. I don’t consider them hot. Though I know the Goretex lining is an insulator in itself. I have boots with Goretex lining. They are warmer then those without. There’s not much you can do about it.

Any ideas, or suggestions? Where did you get your touring boots from? What kind do you have? What do you like about them, or would like to change about them. What might you buy if you had it to do it over again?

Hey...I'm currently in the same boat. I did try on the Tour Master Solutions boots last week. I take an 11.5 4E shoe / boot normally. I tried on a pair of 12's and they fit good. I was very surprised they were wide enough. My wife has a pair of Solutions boots and she really likes them. She said they break in quickly and putting your foot in there is a slight tightness then it slips right in for a good fit. She said the dealer told her that this is so the boot will not come off during an unfortunate event. I didn't think it was much of an issue. For $120 at new enough it sounds like It may win out over the Sidi boots if I don't hear anything back about them, they are also 2x the money of the Solutions boot.
I'm also looking at the Sidi Mega WP boots. The dealer did not have those so I would be taking a chance on fit. Does anyone have experience with wide feet in Sidi boots? Being from Italy I would assume narrow.

Boots

I have used the Solutions boot for three years. After losing one boot (don't ask me how), I got a new pair in a larger size (46 instead of 44). In cold or rainy weather, they work well. My feet get hot, so for weather over 80 degrees F, I wear BMW mesh boots. They also work well, even under my rain pants.

Two points:

1. Boots should be stiff, for protection. If you want to walk between rides, pack a pair of shoes. Recently, I swerved around an orange plastic divider barrel, but reflexively stuck out my left foot. The impact hyperextended my ankle, leaving me in pain for a month. At first, I could hardly walk. But I'm sure my stiff boot saved my foot.

2. The foot space on my R1200RT is somewhat cramped for my feet. When I shopped for boots, I needed to try them with my shift and brake pedals. That's why I bought mine at a dealer. You can order them on line if you wouldn't mind waiting for delivery and possibly paying return postage as you try different styles and sizes.

I too had trouble finding good touring boots, due to size 12+, wide feet.

Often had to reject boots because I exhaused myself getting into them; had my feet swollen, I'd still be wearing them today!

Finally found Joe Rocket Sonic's. Excellent upper ankle/lower leg protection, but with a buckle mechanism to facilitate entry. I can wear any weight of sock I want and still get into them with ease. Easy on and off / waterproof / all-day comfort, and fit under the gear shifter of my R1200RT with no problem.

Cost around $125, depending on where you order them from. I got mine from Competition Accessories.

Good Luck!

\I'm also looking at the Sidi Mega WP boots. The dealer did not have those so I would be taking a chance on fit. Does anyone have experience with wide feet in Sidi boots? Being from Italy I would assume narrow.

Those so-called mega-wides are the ones I couldn't even pull on. My feet are 13-5E.

The Solutions in 14 are tight but workable with light socks.

Check out specterroad.com seriously - no break-in, comfy to walk around in, kevlar lined etc. Excellent boots!

which boots

I have the BMW boots and I really love them. They are just about as comfortable as a pair of slippers. I thought they were a little pricey but discovered they really weren't. They go on easily and provide great protection. Sidi also makes some great boots. These would be my second choice. Some of the low ones for hot riding are really nice. The key is to get a pair that fit.

Sidi On Road boots, water proof and comfortable, mine are old and no longer as water proof (about 10-12 years old), were very water proof when newer, the old ones I have were before the goretex which are available now. I will buy another pair

I have the BMW boots and I really love them. They are just about as comfortable as a pair of slippers. I thought they were a little pricey but discovered they really weren't. They go on easily and provide great protection. Sidi also makes some great boots. These would be my second choice. Some of the low ones for hot riding are really nice. The key is to get a pair that fit.

I agree.

My wife bought these for me in Daytona over my objection , (I thougth they were too expensive ($200) and ugly and probably hot. Since we spent the money on them I decided to wear them and I am pleased. Nothing beats a good pair of tennis shoes but if you see the need to wear protective boots, then these are worth considering.

However, you said you don't want stiff or hot boots and you are not interested in protection so maybe riding boots are not for you.

I have the Tourmaster Solution boots. Awesome weather protection. Great price point. Newenough treated me well on exchanges for the right size. They run a bit large. I find they go on easy enough and taking them off is a little harder but nothing bothersome. I also find them a bit warm on +80 F days.

Riding Boots

Been wearing the Frank Thomas Aquos boots and happy with them. Maybe not the world's finest, but zipper on each side, waterproof, comfortable, and about $120 at Cycle Gear stores.

COMBAT Lights by SIDI:):)

Tough is the word and perfection by design:) Don't need a watertight membrane in these boots, because they are built extremely well and NO water gets in! Easy on and off. I walk any distance, hiking, etcetc., I change shoes. I want the protection the boots offer and not many if any equal these, imo. I treat them with Mink products by Kiwi and Water Pruf by Kiwi, but not much needed:). Randy,"Polarbear":D

Tough is the word and perfection by design:) Don't need a watertight membrane in these boots, because they are built extremely well and NO water gets in! Easy on and off. I walk any distance, hiking, etcetc., I change shoes. I want the protection the boots offer and not many if any equal these, imo. I treat them with Mink products by Kiwi and Water Pruf by Kiwi, but not much needed:). Randy,"Polarbear":D

Right on Randy! :thumb I got my combat lites a month ago, and really like them!
After much research, I settled on this boot, and am satisfied.

Aerostick combat touring boots

I have had the Aerostich Combat touring boots for 10 years. My feet have never gotten wet even in many all day rains. The boots are also good for walking and I don't find the need to take walking shoes on multi day rides. These are really good boots and well worth the money

400_1as.jpg

Boots, like gloves, are a very personal thing. Any of the big motorcycle boot manufacturers will make superb motorcycle specific boots. TCX/Oxtar, Sidi, Alpinestars, Icon, Daytona, Joe Rocket, BMW, Aerostich, Vendramini, Tour Master, etc..., and etc..., all make fine touring boots, and all have their fans and critics. There are lots of threads on boots here, in the Equipment forum at www.advrider.com, and other motorcycle forums and sites. I'd suggest using the search function and scope out the available reviews.

Personally, I wear Oxtar (now TCX) Air Tech XCR's in the summer, and BMW Contours (now discontinued) in the winter. Both pair are touring boots, and I'm quite happy with them.

You might want to try Cruiserworks (sp?) boots. I have a pair and they seem to fit your requirements. They are not gortex but are waterproof. Very comfortable.
I wouldn't recommend Cruiserworks boots. About 10 years ago I bought a pair of their Men's Tour boots before I knew enough about motorcycle boots to know better. Yes, they're very comfortable. And yes, they're waterproof. But their protection around the ankle and shin is non-existant, and their retention is downright awful in all but their lace-up boots. IMHO, Cruiserworks boots, while well made and comfortable, are more a pretty poseur boot than a legitimate motorcycle boot. For the $230+ you'll spend on a pair of Cruiserworks boots you can get a superb boot from a number of manufacturers better made for motorcycling.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
No M2R

I can not tell you the right boot to buy but do not buy M2R brand. Got these in April by the end of June they were shot. The soles were already getting smooth, the seams were coming out and were no longer water proof. I have quit wearing them and just went back to hiking boots sprayed with scotch guard because it works better. Total waste of money.

Back