• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Butt Pad, no pad or seat upgrade?? What is your flavour??

How do you protect your 'assets'?

• Sheepskin

Votes: 44 25.9%
  • Beads

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Airhawk

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Extra padding in my pants...don't ask.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Corbin

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Rick Mayer

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Russell

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Cee Bailey

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other, let me tell you

Votes: 28 16.5%
  • I don't need no stinkin' butt protection!

Votes: 24 14.1%

• Total voters
Bill Mayer Saddle

I bought my R1200RT used and it came with a Bill Mayer seat. It's too high for me but it is very very comfortable. I'm going to have them lower it for me and then add a rear saddle for the passenger.

Seat Improvements

I have to agree that we are all individuals and nothing is going to suit everyone.
My CLC saddle was OK, but was greatly improved after sending it to Ohio where
Cycle Solutions changed the padding for memory foam and flattened the top.
I also use a sheepskin pad on top for cooling purposes. P.S. Coffee Guy, my coffee isn't 99% water. It doesn't take near as much water as some people think
to make coffee.

Rick Mayer

I just received my K75 saddle from Rick Mayer. Absolutely amazing, the difference between this saddle and the stock BMW saddle that I sent him. I asked Rick to help with the sliding forward issue, lack of space between the seat, and pegs and an annoying hot spot issue when riding more then 100 miles at a time in the stock saddle. This saddle was customized to me for very specific concerns; no aftermarket add-on can do this, or have the ability to correct multiple issues. I mailed the saddle in with pictures and a list of complaints and concerns. Rick and Tessa addressed each one of my concerns via email and phone calls and then topped it with a great basket-weave. Thanks Tessa & Rick....

Sargent Seat

I ponyed up for a Sargent seat for the R12RT and I'm very happy with it to date, although I haven't undertaken any rides over 150 miles nonstop since the change. On my old RoadGlide, I used an AirHawk pad, but I felt as though I was floating, with less than great "feel" of the bike. I agree that the stock seats are less than wonderful.

Seats v/s but pads

As much as it sounds self-serving, Steve Corbin is right. It's the shape of the saddle more than anything else which seems to be the comfort factor. I've had Airhawks, AirRiders, beads Corbins and Meyer seats. In a recent add, Corbin made the point that cowboys who are in the saddle all day long, do not necessarily use a lot of padding, ventilation or space age materials, but rather firm (but properly shaped) leather. Beads do ward off "Swamp Ass" but can also become uncomfortable. Airhawks work on certain flat saddles. The most comfortable sadle I ever had was a stock R1100RS saddle that was reworked by the good folks at AirRider; (think an Airhawk inside your saddle). they use an air adjustable bladder that you set to your own contours. All that having been said, there is nothing comfortable on a 100 degree day.

Pro-Pad

Thinking about an upgrade to the stock seat on my '01 R1100R. I have friends with other motorcycles that really like this Pro-Pad (see link below). AB (Alligator Bob) is local to me here in Chicago, and I am thinking about getting this done. Anyone else have any experience with Pro-Pad or similar products?

http://www.alligatorbob.com/propad.htm

I have been trying to grow a tougher ass for quite some time.

At this point I think the new X Challenge seat is winning, good thing it has a small tank & work is only a 30 mile ride.

Sheepskin....for now, on the stock seat. Have not done over 350 miles on it in one shot yet. Got about a 2500 mile ride in a few weeks, that will surely make up my mind. Seems my butt is getting used to the stock seat, but I think I will be getting a Sargent World seat in the next year.

Everyone's needs are going to be pretty unique. Some may need a customized seat, another a cushion/cover, some both. Depends on the nature of your discomfort, body type, riding style, etc etc etc. There's no singular answer. Experimentation will be the only way to really determine 'your' solution.

Callused Ass

Thanks for the input. So SCQTT, how does one grow a tougher ass? From hard work or playing my guitar I can grow calluses on my palms and fingers. So using the same logic, if I had the local dominatrix cane me 3x a week I would probably grow calluses on my ass and would not need the pad (or would I?). Course my wife would divorce me and I would experience a dramatic reduction in my holdings. But after the last 6 months, my 401K is looking mighty anemic anyway. Hmmmmmmmm..... What to do, what to do, what to do........

Back