• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wyoming Motorcycle

Probably already been posted but remember that Wyoming is one of those states that have that weird daylight headlight law. (I use BMWs parking lamp to conserve electricity)

Also....leave the "apehangers" home:laugh

179611825_tSQc8-M.jpg

Some lawmakers have too much time on their hands, just like the idiots who ride with handle bars like that.:laugh

Using the parking light to save electricity is a joke, right?

btw, is there ANY state that doesn't require the headlight ON for motorcycles?

John

Michigan only requires headlights 1/2 hour after sunset and before dawn. None even needed lawfully in the rain. Me, i run with blinding lights all the time. If you make them mad you know they see you. One of Smith's laws of safe driving is "see and be seen". DS

Yes but a passenger seat is only required if carrying a passenger:scratch

is there ANY state that doesn't require the headlight ON for motorcycles?

Very few states do. About 1/2
Alaska, Arkansas, Calif (only on 78+), Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana (only 56+), Iowa (only 77+), Kansas (only 77+), Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon (must be white no white/blue lites), Pennsylvania (only 73+), South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (only 75+), Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and Wyoming (19 states and a Territory + 6 states for newer bikes only)

Using the parking light to save electricity is a joke, right?

Not a joke! Lights on at low RPMs and charging system will not keep up. Hiway no problem but running lights in town and battery will run down, and try to get a jump for a 6V system, I carry wires and a lantern battery (in town running and motor not spinning fast enough for generator output, I have had same problem with my two older Harleys-35VL and 49 Pan- and Honda-81 & 82 CT110s-trail bikes) Always had this problem with a generator or magnito, never with a stator or alternator. This should not be a problem with a BMW or Harley BT that is 1970 or newer.

And you cannot walk into a auto parts store (or BMW, Harley or Honda dealer) and buy a tail light bulb (all 6V bulbs are now by special order only at BMW, Honda, Carquest and NAPA-Harley, Autozone and Checker cannot even get) let alone replace a BMW type Billix head light bulb) H-4 Halogen conversions are almost as hard to find bulbs.

state motorcycle requirements

Isn't there a list of state motorcycle requirements in the Anonymous Book? There used to be such a list. I don't have my book handy, and I'm not going out to the garage to find one.

Why would you want to give up the visibility factor of using your headlight in the daytime. New York State SUGGESTS using your high beam during daylight hours. You will not be blinding any on coming traffic, but you will stand out better from the hordes of cages with daytime running lights.

It used to be if you saw a headlight coming down the road it was either a motorcycle or a locomotive. Today we are getting lost in the mix of DRLs, especially if you are only using your low beam during the day.

I will admit to sometimes not using a headlight on my /2, but it is not always by my choice. :banghead

Friedle

Isn't there a list of state motorcycle requirements in the Anonymous Book? There used to be such a list. I don't have my book handy, and I'm not going out to the garage to find one.

Why would you want to give up the visibility factor of using your headlight in the daytime. New York State SUGGESTS using your high beam during daylight hours. You will not be blinding any on coming traffic, but you will stand out better from the hordes of cages with daytime running lights.

It used to be if you saw a headlight coming down the road it was either a motorcycle or a locomotive. Today we are getting lost in the mix of DRLs, especially if you are only using your low beam during the day.

I will admit to sometimes not using a headlight on my /2, but it is not always by my choice. :banghead

Friedle

AGREED!

In most states (my home state of WI included), daytime operation of the High Beam is permissible, up until 1/2 hr. before sunset and not until 1/2 hr. after sunrise.

Makes you more visible. As we say in MSF, "Part of being safe is being seen!"

Back