Thread: I blame Ian. Maxxis Presa Detour for the 1150GS

I blame Ian. Maxxis Presa Detour for the 1150GS

I just ordered a set. I'll see how they work out. Damn that Ian for saying nice things about them.

FWIW, I was looking for something between TKC's and Tourances. The former would be dead by the time I returned from Wyoming. The latter would last and last, but I need all the help I can get when the going gets rougher. They aren't very popular but the promise of the Maxxis is that while they don't last as long as the Tourances, or even Anakees, that they perform better off pavement.

$225/pair installed at a local shop was a price I could swallow for an experiment. In contrast, while the Tourances would last 1/2 again longer (or so I suspect), I would be paying nearly $300 for the pair. If I was going on a cross country trek, I'd probably have opted for the Tourances, but with the trips I have planned, these should suit my needs - if they work for me as they have for some others.

I'll let y'all know what I think when I've got them on the bike.

i thought you needed knobs?

good choice, scott. i've been seeing that most people are getting ~5k out of the rear... i barely eked out that on the set i tested... and i whaled on them.

you're fairly light, so that helps a lot too. there was a guy on ADVrider named "sasquatch" who was bemoaning a 1700 mile tread life with them. turns out he weighs 400 pounds and rides "like he is qualifying for MotoGP". go figger!

that said, i did put on a set of tourances for the ride out to gillette.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

i thought you needed knobs?

good choice, scott. i've been seeing that most people are getting ~5k out of the rear... i barely eked out that on the set i tested... and i whaled on them.

you're fairly light, so that helps a lot too. there was a guy on ADVrider named "sasquatch" who was bemoaning a 1700 mile tread life with them. turns out he weighs 400 pounds and rides "like he is qualifying for MotoGP". go figger!

that said, i did put on a set of tourances for the ride out to gillette.

ian

Thanks, Ian.

I read Sasquatch's comments and thought to myself, "Don't you call yourself Sasquatch?"

I wanted to run TKC's for this stretch, but I expect this trip will be about 3k miles with some high speed mile munching in the mix. And at the price I'm paying, how could I say no?

I ran the Maxxis for about 12K miles. Actually ran 2 rears to 1 front, but only got 6K per rear. End up costing more since they don't last as long.

Put on a set of Avon Distanza's about 3K ago and really like them so far. Only complaint is the rear tire is a little loud. Cost wise they are a little less the Tourance and about the same as the Maxxis, through Southwest Moto.

I don't think they grip guite as good in the curves as the Maxxis but they're plenty grippy enough.

I like the Maxxis, just don't like the mileage. YMMV

Kevin