• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS-911: useless or useful on the road?

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
In another thread, it was suggested that a someone buy a GS-911 code reader to carry with him. Here's a link to the GS-911: http://www.gs911usa.com/

I like knowing what's going on in my bike, but really, if problems warrant generating codes designed to be read by a technician's computer, what's the likelihood of making a repair of those kinds of problems without also carrying sophisticated tools and equipment?

Is a GS-911 really useful? In other words, how is knowing your BMW suffers from a technical defect that requires repairs you cannot perform? I suppose it might help avoid being ripped off by an unscrupulous garage along the road.

Fred

Last edited:
I don't know,but;

Have heard the unit provides the rider with some ability to override the code and get the bike rolling again. Some fault codes stop the bike from running, so a device may well be required(or a great idea) to carry along when traveling far from home and dealers. I have the new GSA and have wondered too! The code breakers are expensive little boxes, but probably a good idea and work via your cell phone or laptop, which most are not likely to carry. I would like to see a demo on this and maybe at the rally in Gillette, someone can do this for us to see:). At 12000 miles now on my '07 GSA, I've had no issues. I think if I do, I will do a battery disconnect and see if it erases the fault code, to get me going again. This is speculation on my part, but worth a try, vs towing the bike. Randy"Polarbear". PS; You know this same high tech is available in nearly all autos nowadays and little trouble comes to most autos, so its not a likely event for most BMW m/c's either, imo. Hold my breathe! :usa

Back